This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Coolest Christmas (Or Other) Gifts Ever

Adalaide

Adalaide Mentor

I have to admit that I'm still like a kid around Christmas. I did know what I was getting this year from my MIL, sort of, but last night I think she almost strangled my husband when he blew it right in front of me. We were making dinner and she asked him what he wanted, and if he wanted the same thing she is getting me. He was like, oh I wouldn't enjoy feeding the giraffes nearly as much as her. I couldn't turn around and look at her because I was trying to hide the world's biggest smile, but I imagine she didn't look particularly happy. I may be a month away from being 35 but it was all I could do not to squeal like a little girl and bounce up and down.

Yes, the zoo here sells giraffe encounters where you can feed them. And, it is entirely possible that I may actually come into physical contact with a real, living, breathing, giraffe. I get so excited thinking about it that I actually hold my breath accidentally. The coolest part is that they only do this two days a week, and my birthday is right after Christmas and falls on one of the days they do it. Which means we are scheduling to go then. I guess I'm getting a two-fer.

So who else is planning the best gifts ever this year? Maybe for someone else or maybe you know you're getting something super awesome. I wish that I could get my husband something to make him as happy as I know I'll be but alas, there is nothing that will make him squeal with joy like a little girl.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

Oh i know right? So giddy....

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

So who else is planning the best gifts ever this year? Maybe for someone else or maybe you know you're getting something super awesome. I wish that I could get my husband something to make him as happy as I know I'll be but alas, there is nothing that will make him squeal with joy like a little girl.

No comment. :ph34r:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

IrishHeart Veteran

I wish that I could get my husband something to make him as happy as I know I'll be but alas, there is nothing that will make him squeal with joy like a little girl.

oh boy, this just begs for a naughty response.... :lol:.and I will refrain. I know ways to make my hubs....er,...ahem...anyhoo

I am very happy you will be feeding giraffes. I had the chance to feed them--and other wild animals---at the Catskill Game Farm in NY

when I first moved to NY from Bahston in 1984.

and I have to say....I squealed with delight --and scared the crap out of all the children nearby.

Best. Day. Ever.

Adalaide Mentor

You girls. I swear..... I was OBVIOUSLY talking about gifts.

Note to self: Remember your audience and always triple check what you typed before hitting enter.

I guess no one else has super awesome plans?

I already know this will be the best day ever. I am so with you there! I've had people be like, you can't think of anything, anything at all in your life as awesome? I'm like nope. Not a thing.

I'm sure if you make your husband squeal in any way, he will consider it a gift. ;)

Sooooo anyhoo! I think the gift I've gotten most excited about is actually something

a little silly, but still. My grandmother makes needlepoint squares that spell out

'Merry Christmas' that are looped together that you hang over your mantel or on

a wall somewhere or something. I remember the year she sent me one of my own

'Merry Christmases' it was like I was officially an adult, and I got childishly excited

about it.

shadowicewolf Proficient

Honestly, the best gift is something my family knows that i have been eyeing for a long time (be it a game, a book, whathaveyou), it always makes me excited and happy that they remembered :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

I'm sure if you make your husband squeal in any way, he will consider it a gift. ;)

Sooooo anyhoo! I think the gift I've gotten most excited about is actually something

a little silly, but still. My grandmother makes needlepoint squares that spell out

'Merry Christmases' it was like I was officially an adult, and I got childishly excited

about it.

Bunz...I think that is the sweetest thing !.

IrishHeart Veteran

You girls. I swear..... I was OBVIOUSLY talking about gifts.

me too, babes ;)

anyhoo..okay seriously.

I have received many cool gifts and I am beyond grateful. Let me explain--we are Christmas Freaks here.

My bday, our anniversary and hub's bday--are between 11/22 and 12/13 so...

Every year, hubs gives me a pewter Peter Rabbit ornament (cuz I love bunnies)

and one year, my friend made us a wedding quilt that took her 2 YEARS to finish

and because we were married in NYC, and saw the Rockettes Christmas show 4 hours after the ceremony with our best man and woman, we continued to go down there every year.

until I got sick. So sick I could not travel

Well, this year, I got the tickets and the hotel room and the restaurant reservations ....and we're going!!

yaaay !! first time since 2006.

love2travel Mentor

Not this year but in the past these are amongst things my husband who squeals like a girl has done for me (well, I mean Christmas gifts):

- blindfolded me and taken me to a cooking class at a swanky place

- found a book I desperately wanted and could not get in North America but managed to order it from the UK

- found counted cross stitch patterns by Paula Vaughn (the loveliest and most challenging you can get - another passion of mine), bought me all the threads to go with it (over 70 colours) in a craft store. I love to picture him picking out all the colours for me in less than a manly store.

- packed my bag without my knowing, picked me up at work and whisked me off to a romantic boutique hotel for the weekend and then took me food shopping followed by some other stuff ;)

- two years ago, he somehow managed to arrange for Amazon books to be shipped to me for ten consecutive days - the boxes just kept on coming! (He actually had them sent to his work separately then put them in the mailbox each day.)

I am a very, very spoiled girl. Methinks perhaps I'll keep him.

Adalaide Mentor

about it.

I love that moment when you have gone from one of "the cousins" to a grown up! I had one of those too, and was childishly excited. Kinda contradicts the whole thing doesn't it?

Adalaide Mentor

me too, babes ;)

anyhoo..okay seriously.

I have received many cool gifts and I am beyond grateful. Let me explain--we are Christmas Freaks here.

My bday, our anniversary and hub's bday--are between 11/22 and 12/13 so...

Every year, hubs gives me a pewter Peter Rabbit ornament (cuz I love bunnies)

and one year, my friend made us a wedding quilt that took her 2 YEARS to finish

and because we were married in NYC, and saw the Rockettes Christmas show 4 hours after the ceremony with our best man and woman, we continued to go down there every year.

until I got sick. So sick I could not travel

Well, this year, I got the tickets and the hotel room and the restaurant reservations ....and we're going!!

yaaay !! first time since 2006.

That is super exciting! I'm so happy for you. That doesn't even come close to a little win, that falls into the major freaking victory category. That sounds like an awesome tradition to have back. I've also heard super amazing things about how gluten free friendly NYC is, I'm sure you're going to be having the time of your life.

Adalaide Mentor

Not this year but in the past these are amongst things my husband who squeals like a girl has done for me (well, I mean Christmas gifts):

- blindfolded me and taken me to a cooking class at a swanky place

- found a book I desperately wanted and could not get in North America but managed to order it from the UK

- found counted cross stitch patterns by Paula Vaughn (the loveliest and most challenging you can get - another passion of mine), bought me all the threads to go with it (over 70 colours) in a craft store. I love to picture him picking out all the colours for me in less than a manly store.

- packed my bag without my knowing, picked me up at work and whisked me off to a romantic boutique hotel for the weekend and then took me food shopping followed by some other stuff ;)

- two years ago, he somehow managed to arrange for Amazon books to be shipped to me for ten consecutive days - the boxes just kept on coming! (He actually had them sent to his work separately then put them in the mailbox each day.)

I'd keep him too! I have to say I'm spoiled myself. I have something like 4 dozen stuffed giraffes at this point and they just keep coming. Usually for no apparent reason. I even have one I use to prop my arm up when my shoulder is bothering me and he doesn't complain about giraffes in the bed.

We're some lucky girls having such men to spoil us. Books every day? Yeah, I could sign up for that.

GottaSki Mentor

I'm a total sap -- my absolute favorite thing is surprising someone with their perfect gift. It is pure magic when it happens. So far my top two are:

Oldest son's hero from 4-10ish years old was Jeff Gordon -- we camped infield at the then brand new California Speedway for years until I got too sick -- anyway my son was 6 and I found a mini Jeff Gordon race suit with helmet -- it wasn't on his Santa list -- oh my goodness -- the look on his face when he opened it and threw on the helmet I will never, ever forget...the next race was the following February -- he wore the suit for the entire weekend -- couple drivers came out of the paddock to visit our kid's lemon aid/brownie stand -- not Jeff, but still priceless memories.

Last year my father (81) had researched his father service in WWI - my Grandfather never shared any info from his service...so my Dad visited the WWI Museum and found out really amazing info. He shared the story with me and asked for a WWI movie for Christmas...in addition to the movie I found a book about my Grandfather's unit that mentioned him three times and had great photos of the unit my father hadn't found - original print from 1919 along with his unit's insignia pin -- I have never seen my very formal father so emotional -- I wanted to surprise him -- I got more than I hoped for that Christmas.

My hubby is a horrid gift giver - he is wonderful in many other ways, but gift-giving is not one of his "gifts" -- this year I don't have any winning surprise ideas sooo I guess I'll have to think of something that I really want and give some stellar marching orders :)

Adalaide Mentor

Honestly, the best gift is something my family knows that i have been eyeing for a long time (be it a game, a book, whathaveyou), it always makes me excited and happy that they remembered :)

With my family back home I'm happy if I even get a card. My husband is good at remembering those random things I mentioned forever ago or have been eyeing a long time. (I know I'm sticking my foot in my mouth here so to speak... but here goes anyway.) I'm pretty easy to please.

kareng Grand Master

I have to admit that I'm still like a kid around Christmas. I did know what I was getting this year from my MIL, sort of, but last night I think she almost strangled my husband when he blew it right in front of me. We were making dinner and she asked him what he wanted, and if he wanted the same thing she is getting me. He was like, oh I wouldn't enjoy feeding the giraffes nearly as much as her. I couldn't turn around and look at her because I was trying to hide the world's biggest smile, but I imagine she didn't look particularly happy. I may be a month away from being 35 but it was all I could do not to squeal like a little girl and bounce up and down.

Yes, the zoo here sells giraffe encounters where you can feed them. And, it is entirely possible that I may actually come into physical contact with a real, living, breathing, giraffe. I get so excited thinking about it that I actually hold my breath accidentally. The coolest part is that they only do this two days a week, and my birthday is right after Christmas and falls on one of the days they do it. Which means we are scheduling to go then. I guess I'm getting a two-fer.

You have never met a giraffe? The tongues are very rough and they like large marshmallows and graham crackers. The large marshmallows are funny. You put them on their tongue and they chew away. They probably won't let you give them marshmallows anymore. :(.

GottaSki Mentor

We get to feed ours at the Wild Animal Park - pellets that look like baby carrots -- smart ass that I am asked why can't we feed them baby carrots? Hey my dog likes carrots as treats.

Very cool tongues -- so glad you get to get up close and personal on your special day :)

shadowicewolf Proficient

aren't their tongues blue too?

alex11602 Collaborator

I think the best gift anyone ever gets me is a Precious Moments figurine, there is something about them that is so relaxing about them. It is the one thing that I look forward to getting from my husband, although I won't be getting one this year :(

As for giving gifts to people I usually like to do something personalized, but the favorite gift that I was able to get for my parents and sister was sending them to see Grease on Broadway. It was the first time they had ever been and my grandmother rented a limo for them to go and they seemed to really love it.

I definitely get more fun out of finding that exact right thing for someone else.

A friend of mine is also obsessed with giraffes, and I found a beautiful figurine

at a consignment shop once that matched and elephant next to it, and said friend's

mother ADORES elephants. So they got perfect matching favorite animals. I

made her cry. :D Score....

IrishHeart Veteran

I am sure the spoiling is mutual. ;)

That is super exciting! I'm so happy for you. That doesn't even come close to a little win, that falls into the major freaking victory category. That sounds like an awesome tradition to have back.

Thank, honey---I am very excited to be able to give this gift to him--he has been a rock for me all this time. You should see me in the audience---5,000 kids ...and me--whooping it up and crying and yes, squealing like a little girl. SANTA!! I wanted to be a Rockette, but this is the closest I have come hahaha

I'd keep him too! I have to say I'm spoiled myself. I have something like 4 dozen stuffed giraffes at this point and they just keep coming. Usually for no apparent reason. I even have one I use to prop my arm up when my shoulder is bothering me and he doesn't complain about giraffes in the bed.

We're some lucky girls having such men to spoil us. Books every day? Yeah, I could sign up for that.

One time, I started to count the bunnies in this house--stuffed, porcelain, glass,, whatever--and I stopped after the kitchen and the family room because I had 43 and I still had 5 rooms to go....it got a little nutty for while with people "gifting" me bunnies. Either that, or they multiplied on their own.... :lol:

I'm a total sap -- my absolute favorite thing is surprising someone with their perfect gift. It is pure magic when it happens.

Me too. I prefer to give than receive. The planning, the plotting, the execution, and the look on their faces when they see it...priceless!.

Those were awesome gifts you gave, Ski!

I definitely get more fun out of finding that exact right thing for someone else.

So they got perfect matching favorite animals. I

made her cry. :D Score....

Yes, making the tears of joy flow...a score indeed! :D

I hope you can all see I have mastered the multi quote--so thanks for the gift of explaining it to me.

IrishHeart Veteran

omygosh....I just remembered this ...and I had not thought about it in years. It is not a sad story, honest. It's one of those pure magic ones.

I had suffered my first miscarriage (on Christmas Eve of all days ) and was I very blue and trying hard to" rally" for the ex ...and I was so distraught and sad.

I lived far away from my family and friends in Boston and my best friend lives 1500 miles away in Florida.

A few days after, I was home from the hospital and it was snowing and cold and I was feeling about as lonely and poor me-ish as it gets and I heard the doorbell ring...I slugged down the stairs and thought, it's just the electric meter reader.

No...... It was my best friend--she had flown up in a snow storm to be with me while I recovered.

Sometimes the best gifts don't come in a box..

:)

GottaSki Mentor

No...... It was my best friend--she had flown up in a snow storm to be with me while I recovered.

Sometimes the best gifts don't come in a box..

:)

Very true -- I know this story ended happy, but you still made me cry -- this disease sucks.

So glad to hear you'll be kicking your heals up in the Big Apple -- do hold off on high kicking with the Rockettes for now...leave a little something for next year's fun ;)

http://www.radiocitychristmas.com/content/dam/radiocitychristmas/images/3.PNG

Jerky is edible -- only used half of the meat I bought for this purpose...so off to do some kitchen chemistry for the second batch -- after my morning walk :)

Adalaide Mentor

aren't their tongues blue too?

Pretty much. I say purple but it's up for debate.

One time, I started to count the bunnies in this house--stuffed, porcelain, glass,, whatever--and I stopped after the kitchen and the family room because I had 43 and I still had 5 rooms to go....it got a little nutty for while with people "gifting" me bunnies. Either that, or they multiplied on their own.... :lol:

I'm a fan of bunnies (not in the way I am a fan of giraffes or anything) but I stick with one lest she multiply. Of course, mine requires maintenance like feeding so it's a real possibility! If I can't have a pet giraffe, a bunny is the next best thing.

I totally forgot about this, but my oldest daughter is very much like me. (And with any luck she will never read this lest she kill me for saying so. :lol: ) One of her best qualities imo, is that she not only reads, but has an absolute passion for reading. We once spent... I don't even know how long talking about all the ways that books are better than people. Few things can compare to sharing with her the magic that can only be found in the pages of a book. To people who get it, it means everything and to people who don't it seems silly. That I was able to share my passion for reading, and can continue to share books with her means a lot to me.

GottaSki Mentor

Pretty much. I say purple but it's up for debate.

I'd go with dark purple too. We were really surprised the first time we saw one. Very cool animals.

Archived