4 replies to this topic

#1 qwertygirl

qwertygirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

What do you all eat when you aren't feeling good? For me, it used to be toast or chicken noodle soup. Now I don't know what to eat. I don't want to eat anything that's a gluten-free replacement of a gluten food, because that hurts my stomach too.

I just want something a little warm and bland that will make my stomach settle down.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

What do you all eat when you aren't feeling good? For me, it used to be toast or chicken noodle soup. Now I don't know what to eat. I don't want to eat anything that's a gluten-free replacement of a gluten food, because that hurts my stomach too.

I just want something a little warm and bland that will make my stomach settle down.

I'm not sure if this counts as a 'replacement' food, but when I don't feel
good I like Kettle Cuisine's chicken noodle soup. It's just rice noodles
instead of regular, so no weird stuff that winds up in baked goods that
might make you feel sick.

Also, I like to make my own chicken noodle soup, which of course is always
better than any store-bought soup. But when I don't feel good I eat spicy
food, so my chicken noodle soup winds up VERY garlicky and peppery. Or
I'll do chicken or beef curry soup with potatoes or butternut squash. I'm a
weirdo though, so spicy probably isn't the answer for you!

Applesauce, bananas, soft boiled eggs, are all pretty easy?
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#3 Persei V.

Persei V.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

I eat boiled potatoes with salt, olive oil and oregano. I find tomato soup with meat to be extremely comforting too.
Lactose free: 8/6/2006
Gluten and dairy free: 5/2/2012
Grain free: 11/12/2012

I am able to eat somre processed foods again (chocolate, lollipops, soysauce).

#4 qwertygirl

qwertygirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

Thanks -- boiled potatoes is a good idea. Homemade chicken soup could work, too. I like eating spicy sometimes when I'm sick (particularly if I have a cold) but not when my stomach is feeling off.

#5 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

When my GI system goes haywire, I sometimes go on a clear liquid diet for 24 hours, so I'll have peppermint or other herbal tea, home made or purchased organic chicken or vegetable broth (watch the labels if purchased), ginger ale, and lots of water.

The next day I introduce white rice and either home made apple sauce or peeled, sliced apples, green tea. Lots of water.

I stick with rice and a protein the next day, usually in soup form, have a little fresh banana.

I soak in a hot bath with Epsom salts and a couple of drops of Pepperment Oil or other essential oil every day when I'm not feeling well.

I avoid coffee, alcohol and meat until my system gets back on track. The first meat I add is poached chicken. If that goes well, I add brown rice, then other meats and gradually add the stuff I love (coffee, etc) back as I'm feeling better.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: