9 replies to this topic

#1 123glldd

123glldd

Advanced Community Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

So I just read a few pages of a long thread on this topic and i'm confused.....some say gluten may be in wax and that stores are suppose to disclose this but our stores here don't. Do I need to worry about the rutabaga i just bought to try? This is beyond crazy please someone tell me no I don't need to worry about it *siiiiigh*

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

It certainly isn't something I worry about. I have never seen a documented case of gluten in wax, just wild speculation.

Maybe the stores in your area don't disclose anything because there isn't anything to disclose in the first place.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

I've never been zapped by a waxed rutabega. I live in the deep south, so they're all waxed by the time they arrive here.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#4 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

Ok good thanks guys for the clarification. I saw a loooooong thread from about this time last year talking about it but no one really closed it up with any confirmation of it so I was very confused.

#5 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

This from another site (http://www.csaceliac...dible_films.jsp):

Update on Edible Films Adapted from Food Technology, Vol 51, No 2, Feb 97, pp 60, 62-63
Scientific Status Summary by John M. Druchta and Catherine DeMulder Johnston / University of California-Davis
Lifeline, Spring 1997, Vol XV, No 2, pp 1-3
a

"The materials that have received the greatest attention for edible films use are cellulose ethers, starch, hydroxypropylated starch, corn zein, wheat gluten, soy protein and milk proteins. Food processors considering use of protein-based films must be aware that some consumers have a wheat gluten intolerance (Celiac Disease), milk protein allergies, or lactose intolerance. Use of such films as coatings on foods must be declared appropriately to the consumer, no matter how small the amount used."

From what I read, the gluten coatings are mainly being used for baked goods that are presumably wheat anyway.

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

#6 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

From what i've heard, bee's wax is mainly used on fruits and something similar on veggies. I could be wrong :)

#7 ncdave

ncdave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:35 AM

gatita is correct, It will be labled on the box. Just ask your produce mananger to see the box it came in.
gluten free 12/11
dairy free 2/12
soy free 10/12
corn free 10/12
nightshade free 10/12

#8 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:24 AM

That old thread you read is most likely from super sensitive celiacs who react to very tiny amounts of cc. Typical celiacs don't need to worry.

#9 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

Thank you all!

#10 livelifelarge24

livelifelarge24

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:47 AM

I have heard this at my group as well. I am considered "super sensitive" as I react strongly to very minute amounts of cross contamination and ive never had an issue with any fruit or vegetable. I wash them very thoroughly and I cut off any part that had a sticker on it. Hopefully that is enough! We shouldn't have to worry so much about food that comes right out of the ground and off of trees.
"A man too busy to take care of his health is like a mechanic too busy to take care of his tools." - Spanish Proverb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: