This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mouth Sores

liser

liser Newbie

hello,

this is my first post.

have been gluten free for almost 2 months. I tried this because of extreme fatigue, gas, anxiety and mouth sores. I have tested negative for celiac but was already gluten free for 5 weeks when tested.

I have had times felt almost normal ? I dont have to worry about the gas anymore- thank goodness, dont need to come home and immediately use the bathroom. I have been very careful about what I eat, checking everything. am starting to worry about cross contamination.., The mouth sores havent been as bad but just had an outbreak and it has me upset....

my dad was just tested for celiac and waiting for results, he has had ibs, takes 4 immodium daily and has neuropathy, he is now starting to go gluten free. I am taking my son in tomorrow to get tested as he has diarrhea regularly with fatigue and anxiety and he is willing to go gluten free?

I just was really hoping these mouth sores would go away?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gatita Enthusiast

Mouth sores can be a symptom of B vitamin deficiency (esp B2). Mine just showed up after four months gluten-free. From what I hear, this is a pretty common deficiency due to malabsorption that I guess (hope) gets better with time. Hopefully others with more experience will chime in here...

cahill Collaborator

For me ,,mouth sores are a reaction to corn,, especially high fructose corn syurp

nvsmom Community Regular

Mouth sores (and fatigue) are commonly found in other AI diseases too. A few months back I had some sort of AI flare up with deep fatigue, arthritic joints and hair loss... when it first started I thought I was getting sick because of the fatigue, aches and pains, and a sore throat but it wasn't a sore throat, it was a round of big mouth sores (mostly on top of mouth). I had been 2-3 months gluten-free at that point so I know it wasn't diet. It was either thyroid linked of some other AI disease.

If you determine that it isn't food linked, you could consider other causes.

Hop[e you feel better.

liser Newbie

For me ,,mouth sores are a reaction to corn,, especially high fructose corn syurp

I saw that you had quite a few posts, I have never really done forums so this is all new to me and not really sure how it all works? would love to be able to email someone directly and just ask some questions? is that a possibility?

kareng Grand Master

I saw that you had quite a few posts, I have never really done forums so this is all new to me and not really sure how it all works? would love to be able to email someone directly and just ask some questions? is that a possibility?

There is a protection on this forum that does not allow new members to personal message other members. It is to prevent spam. Ideally, this forum works best when you post your questions and allow many others to answer with their experiences and info. It is likely others have the same questions you do. When you start to gain knowledge and experience, you can help others. You can learn a lot by reading other people's questions and answers, too.

You might want to start by reading this thread :

MJ-S Contributor

Mouth sores can also be a symptom of Crohn's. Not to scare you, as mouth sores could also appear for less serious reasons. Point is, you should see a physician if you have not already done so and see if they will run some tests across the board.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 year later...
Curtis721 Newbie

Before my celiac diagnosis I was getting mouth sores almost constantly.  If I ate anything contaminated with gluten I'd get blood filled blisters (immediately) while eating.  The worst were McDonald's hash browns (but only from certain McDonald's) and knarly artisan bread.  When the sharp edges of the bread poked my mouth a sore would develop.  The blisters would pop in a day or so, then the fun begins.  I'd suffer from the raw sore ulcer for several days to a week.  

I've been gluten-free for almost two years, but I still get these occasionally.  The most recent was after having work done on a tooth in prep for a crown.  

When they are bad, the outside of my face also hurts, like a burning nerve pain.  This latest has made the left side of my face hurt from my jaw to my eye.  

Besides taking tylenol or advil, what can I do to ease the pain or speed the recovery?  I've tried adding peroxide to mouthwash, but can't tell if this really helps or not.  

Anyone?  :(

• 2 weeks later...
Christine0125 Contributor

Are you using a toothpaste without SLR?  I started using one when I suffered from canker sores before my diagnosis based on a recommendation from a dentist.  It helped some so I still use it (I believe Pronamel is what I use).  I only get them occasionally now and they are far less severe! 

MGR Apprentice

For me, mouth sores are the first symptom that appears whenever I have ingested gluten. If I continue eating it, the blisters get bigger and bigger and are soo sore!

GF Lover Rising Star

There's a script you can get from your GP, it's friendly name is 'Swish and Swirl".  It will also temporarily numb the area.  It's good stuff.

Colleen

CMCM Rising Star

I can get mouth sores within an hour after getting some gluten accidentally. 

mamaw Community Regular

lysine  is  good for  mouth  sores....I hope  you  find  once  on the  gluten free for  many months  the mouth  sores  will become  less & less... But  do  take  probiotics  & digestive  enzymes..

Archived