7 replies to this topic

#1 SarahBear

SarahBear

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

I was diagnosed with Celiac almost 3 months ago by my Naturalist Dr and then got pneumonia right after. I have been to my regular Dr, a Pulmonary Dr, allergist and had CT Scans chest X-rays MRI's and taken everything imaginable for a chronic persistent cough. I went back to my Naturalist Dr and he said because of the antibiotics and steroids and other meds it has altered my immune system and therefore the inflammation in my lungs has not gone away. We are working on that now, but has anyone ever heard of the cough as being a symptom of Celiac ? What did you do ? Please help

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

YES!!

My son's gerd presented with chronic cough at age 8....took several years for them to determine he was aspirating into his lungs while he slept which caused a chronic cough. We tried treating gerd unsuccessfully for many years...until I was finally diagnosed with Celiac -- he decided to remove gluten after negative blood tests because of several symptoms -- gerd improved, but has not completely resolved. His other symptoms are completely resolved.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#3 SarahBear

SarahBear

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:47 AM

Thanks for the reply. I know the Celiac presents all kinds of symptoms. I'm just a little frustrated with the cough.

#4 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:54 AM

Understand completely - the son I mention has been coughing consistently in the morning for over 10 years - it is far better gluten-free, but sadly remains unresolved.

He has tried removing other foods and likely will give an elimination diet another shot - he's just not ready right now.

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#5 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:58 AM

Ps He is currently drinking nettle tea each day to see if it helps with his sinus inflammation - it seems to be helping - he has regained some sense of smell and his cough seems to be slightly improved - no promises, but it might be worth a try.

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#6 Lady Eowyn

Lady Eowyn

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

Thought this might be of interest.
My hubs kindly gave up gluten the same time as me :rolleyes: to help. He has psoriatic arthritis quite badly (23 years) and psoriasis before that.
Guessing timeframe, but I would say has had a chronic cough for about last 8 years - on and off. A soft, irritating cough especially when talking. He takes long term anti-inflammatory pain killers which may have had an effect on his immune system (?) Even thought it might be psychological, like a nervous cough although he is not at all that type.

After going gluten free - cough has vanished :D !! Also snoring gone :D !!
When he sort of did a gluten challenge (back to enormous bowl - almost a bucket :ph34r:) of cereal for breakfast by the second day he could hardly speak or swallow by evening because of what must have been cattargh (sp?) at the back of his throat.

Needless to say he is gluten free now and best of all, much improved arthritis.

#7 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:45 AM

Isn't that amazing - my nonceliac hubby is mostly gluten-free as our house is - as his time mostly gluten-free has increased his minor pains and weight issues are vanishing - he seems to be getting younger rather than older :)

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#8 SarahBear

SarahBear

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

Thanks for the information. It does help. I'm looking for anything to share with the Drs. Not that they haven't thought of it already

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: