Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Coughing As Symptom

8 posts in this topic

I was diagnosed with Celiac almost 3 months ago by my Naturalist Dr and then got pneumonia right after. I have been to my regular Dr, a Pulmonary Dr, allergist and had CT Scans chest X-rays MRI's and taken everything imaginable for a chronic persistent cough. I went back to my Naturalist Dr and he said because of the antibiotics and steroids and other meds it has altered my immune system and therefore the inflammation in my lungs has not gone away. We are working on that now, but has anyone ever heard of the cough as being a symptom of Celiac ? What did you do ? Please help

Ads by Google:

YES!!

My son's gerd presented with chronic cough at age 8....took several years for them to determine he was aspirating into his lungs while he slept which caused a chronic cough. We tried treating gerd unsuccessfully for many years...until I was finally diagnosed with Celiac -- he decided to remove gluten after negative blood tests because of several symptoms -- gerd improved, but has not completely resolved. His other symptoms are completely resolved.

Thanks for the reply. I know the Celiac presents all kinds of symptoms. I'm just a little frustrated with the cough.

Understand completely - the son I mention has been coughing consistently in the morning for over 10 years - it is far better gluten-free, but sadly remains unresolved.

He has tried removing other foods and likely will give an elimination diet another shot - he's just not ready right now.

Ps He is currently drinking nettle tea each day to see if it helps with his sinus inflammation - it seems to be helping - he has regained some sense of smell and his cough seems to be slightly improved - no promises, but it might be worth a try.

Thought this might be of interest.

My hubs kindly gave up gluten the same time as me :rolleyes: to help. He has psoriatic arthritis quite badly (23 years) and psoriasis before that.

Guessing timeframe, but I would say has had a chronic cough for about last 8 years - on and off. A soft, irritating cough especially when talking. He takes long term anti-inflammatory pain killers which may have had an effect on his immune system (?) Even thought it might be psychological, like a nervous cough although he is not at all that type.

After going gluten free - cough has vanished :D !! Also snoring gone :D !!

When he sort of did a gluten challenge (back to enormous bowl - almost a bucket :ph34r:) of cereal for breakfast by the second day he could hardly speak or swallow by evening because of what must have been cattargh (sp?) at the back of his throat.

Needless to say he is gluten free now and best of all, much improved arthritis.

Isn't that amazing - my nonceliac hubby is mostly gluten-free as our house is - as his time mostly gluten-free has increased his minor pains and weight issues are vanishing - he seems to be getting younger rather than older :)

Thanks for the information. It does help. I'm looking for anything to share with the Drs. Not that they haven't thought of it already