5 replies to this topic

#1 adambryant

adambryant

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:21 AM

I think rice is playing a bit of a part in my 'C' and bloating. I didn't have rice for about 4 or 5 days and I was having better bowel movements.. And since I had it yesterday I had bloating and a bit of 'C' I do eat quite a bit of rice recently after going gluten-free. Does anyone else experience this? Is it normal?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:47 AM

I can't eat anything with rice. I get diarrhea. My body seemed to reject the one last bit of rice I ate which was in a supplement.

#3 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:01 AM

There can be contamination issues with grains in general. See Tricia Thompsons study. http://www.glutenfre...g/blog.php?id=6

Generally this seems to be a problem when something hasn't been certified gluten free, or for those sensitive to very low levels of gluten.

#4 deb445

deb445

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

I cut out rice too (about a month ago) - I suspect that it was the driving force behind the "after lunch" fatigue that I thought I'd left behind. Cauliflower (pulverized by my potato masher) is a decent substitute. My husband actually said he kind of liked it. I was all for going grainfree, but resisted taking out rice and sorghum for a while. Equipped with meal plans, and lunch alternatives - it's not really that hard. There are manyPaleo recipes and blog sites out there! If you're looking for encouragement - I'd say go for it! You can always turn back if it's not for you.

Gluten free for 5 years. Dairy free for years, but now OK with grassfed dairy.

Grain free for 2 years and now pain free.

A dedicated kitchen, a new passion for whole foods, Paleo inspiration

BLACK SEED and MSM has made a world of difference.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, but about learning to dance in the rain..." ~unknown

#5 Chaff

Chaff

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:09 PM

Rice is one of the (very) few foods I can handle, but I can't eat regular rice. Basically, I soak it for 24 hours before preparing it (this ferments it slightly) and then I can eat it just fine. Otherwise, I'm like deb445: it exhausts me. I also take a shot of fermented something first (I'd take actual probiotic pill, but my order's on a slow mail boat...I live in the boonies).

Thanks for the tip, though, deb445 -- I'll see if I can add in cauliflower. Other options to break up the monotony would be cool.

celiac, hypothyroid, hereditary hemochromatosis

#6 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:27 AM

I do just fine with rice, however i also wash it first (watch how sushi rice is washed).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: