13 replies to this topic

#1 Chaff

Chaff

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:05 PM

This is my third week gluten-free. Last night I had a nightmare that I ate a crouton. Every day I have a moment where I think, oh, I'll just go grab a snack...get some lunch...have a bite...Wait, I can't have that! What, am I crazy?

I haven't cheated, and I haven't been tempted to cheat. I have plenty to eat (although I have a restricted list of about ten things right now) and I have gluten-free snack options that don't make me sick that I keep close at hand. I feel pretty clear about what is safe and what isn't, and I go on Google to answer the tough "is this ingredient in mustard OK?" kind of questions. (I am staying away from mustard for a while, but you get the picture.)

But this sudden realization thing -- wait, I'm not supposed to just go out and eat stuff! -- startles me in odd moments, like spotting something in the corner of your eye. I always do a mental double take. And now I'm dreaming about making stupid mistakes, like forgetting croutons are out. Not that I've even seen a crouton in the past few weeks (I only eat out at select places, and they don't have salad).

I guess I'm just scared I'm going to eat a crouton. This is a weird mental place for me to be. I have this feeling of double-think: everything's normal and under-control, but at the same time I have to radically change my relationship to eating. It's no longer casual.

Anyway, this is a self-indulgent post, I know. But I hope by writing it down I can exorcize this startled feeling about the GFD and make it a normal part of my subconscious.

celiac, hypothyroid, hereditary hemochromatosis

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mefellows

Mefellows

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:23 PM

I don't know if it ever completely goes away, though it gets easier. My daughter drempt last night that she ate an oreo and didn't get sick. This is after 4 years of trying to avoid gluten!

#3 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:28 PM

You're normal--I startle out of my sleep when I discover that I'm eating a sandwich. It freaks me out! I don't know if these nightmares ever go away--I've been gluten free for nearly nine years.....and, still, there are those sandwich nightmares!

#4 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

I said, "Only in my dreams" as I dreamed about eating croissants and donuts one time. My reaction was excietment, not panic. However, I gloated that I hadn't really done it when I woke up.

Diana

#5 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:44 AM

I've been gluten free for 7-8 years, and recently I had a dream where I was a spy, and
my assignment required that I eat gluten so as not to break my cover. :ph34r:

Yeah, you'll get used to the dreams! LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#6 srall

srall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

My mother, myself and my daughter all have dreams of accidentally eating gluten. My daughter and I are about 2 years gluten free, and I believe my mom is 4 years gluten free. I always have a dream where I am eating something then 1/2 way through think, "What the heck am I doing? This is loaded with gluten." Like I totally forget to think about gluten before I put something in my mouth. As if.

#7 MJ_S

MJ_S

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

Just last night, I had a stress dream that my aunt (wonderful cook) was trying to cook safely for me while I stressed out about it. In the dream I ate a piece of french bread, was immediately horrified when I realized what I was doing, and woke up all freaked out from it. Luckily I don't have these dreams too often.

Blood Tests: TTG IgA Negative / Total IGA Normal

Skin: Confirmed DH
Genetic: DQ8 & DQ6 Positive (DQA1*0301, DQB1*0302, DQA1*0103, DQB1*0603)
Free Of: Gluten 1/1/11, Dairy 2010, Soy 2011

#8 Chaff

Chaff

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:04 PM

Argh -- so it never gets better, then. Thanks for comiserating! I was thinking about this while staring at a plate of wonderful-smelling pastries at an office meeting today. I kept having to remind myself I'm not supposed to reach for it. It was like training a puppy to sit still! (But I resisted).

Take care, everyone!

celiac, hypothyroid, hereditary hemochromatosis

#9 Hala

Hala

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:18 AM

I'm in my third gluten-free week too and had a dream that one of my housemates tried to force-feed me pasta...and there were breadcrumbs and slices of bread on every surface!

Diagnosed with Coeliac Disease after positive blood test and endoscopy (total villous atrophy and inflammation)

Gluten-free since 13th November 2012

Asperger's Syndrome.

Crohn's Disease.

Pancreatic Insufficiency.

#10 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

I have these nightmares all the time of shoving something gluten-filled in my mouth before I realize it...

The only good part is when I wake up and realize it wasn't true!

Strange thing is I never came close to doing this in real life... (knocks on wood).

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

#11 Em314

Em314

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

This hasn't happened to be with gluten (yet) but I would not be surprised if it did.

I was a vegetarian for several years, and I would often have dreams where I ate meat despite knowing I didn't normally do so. No such dreams since I went back to being an omnivore.

If something's on your mind, you're more likely to dream about it, plain and simple. It may "get better" or may not. There's probably a good chance that the less room it rents in your head, the less you'll dream about it. You may have dreams less often, or they may be less anxiety-provoking/upsetting, as you get a better handle on being gluten-free and it becomes more routine/you feel more in control of it.
Diagnosed celiac December 2012 (bloodwork + endoscopy). Gluten-free since.

#12 red island

red island

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

I had the sandwich nightmares for months, they've now been replaced by the Chapmans ice cream nightmares - so tasty, always glutenfree and so reasonably priced, but alas, not lactose free, I often wonder what will be next and pray that it wont be wine!

#13 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

I had a dream where I was eating fried chicken and knew it was going to kill me, so I was trying to vomit. What a nightmare! However, I do have a serious problem of sleep walking and I have often wondered if I consumed gluten during it when I have days I don't feel so well. Crazy! I know!!!! My home is a shared household. I told my children gluten must go!
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#14 Highflyer

Highflyer

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

Great stories...mine usually involves a huge piece of pizza ooozing with cheese (which I was not able to tolerate either for a long time). Phew...what a panic to wake up to that. Oh we're a unique breed aren't we? lol Da big bad PIZZA monster!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: