3 replies to this topic

#1 StolenMockingbird

StolenMockingbird

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:45 AM

I've been "gluten free" for over a year now. I only say "gluten free" because I still had intermittent bouts of illness and only recently found the final source of gluten in my life. I'd attributed my illness to accidents until I read about Rice Dream and their controversial barley enzymes.

Holy crap! I've been drinking that for a while. Before I even knew what gluten was. Why didn't I look that up?

Anyway, I changed milk brands 5 days ago and rejoiced in slaying the final bit of gluten in my life.

After a day or so, my stomach was constantly in discomfort. I was gassy, had some mean D, and even more rampant dehydration with it. A day later, the symptoms were still there, along with a headache and the feeling that I was going to pass out. I felt week, I couldn't understand what was going on. Then it clicked and searched online for Gluten withdrawals.

I just want some advice, because I had no idea it was going to get so much worse before it got better! I've slept with the garbage next to my bed for the last 3 nights.

I'm already taking probiotics and doing my best to hydrate myself... I've seen people say it lasted weeks, even months! Should I expect a quicker recovery since I was ingesting a relatively small amount of gluten, rather than an average gluten-filled diet? Is there anything else I can do to make this go even slightly quicker?

Thank you!

Late 2006- One of many long-term bouts of severe illness, spread from childhood to early adulthood.
2006-2007- Thousands spent on testing.
Summer 2010- Found a possible link to Celiac disease. Despite negative blood results in the past, instantly felt a thousand times better after an elimination diet.
2010-2012- Lost mega pounds, almost 80-90 pounds. (Used to be almost 280!)
2012- Symptoms slowly came back and worsened throughout the year, rarely felt 100% with no explanation.
Winter 2012-13- Constantly ill, lifeless, crabby, dull, came to terms that I will be ill for the rest of my life. (Yet my girlfriend stayed by my side. Truly a keeper.)
Dec 2012- Thousands more spent on testing, again to no avail.
Feb 2013, my 24th birthday- Found SCDLifestyle.com, decided to try the SCD after seeing many of my symptoms (Including some nasty symptoms triggered by soy) mapped out.

One month later- Full of life and energy, down 18 pounds, happy to be wrong about my lifelong illness!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:22 AM

Oh, so sorry to hear you have suffered that. I also have a gluten intolerant friend that uses rice dream consistently. Could you tell me where you found the information about barley in Rice Dream? I take it it is not on the label? I can't tell how long it will take to get better, but you can help your body by getting plenty of water and sleep. Take some down time if you can. Watch out for gluten in everything.

Get well soon,

Diana

#3 StolenMockingbird

StolenMockingbird

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:21 AM

Oh, so sorry to hear you have suffered that. I also have a gluten intolerant friend that uses rice dream consistently. Could you tell me where you found the information about barley in Rice Dream? I take it it is not on the label? I can't tell how long it will take to get better, but you can help your body by getting plenty of water and sleep. Take some down time if you can. Watch out for gluten in everything.

Get well soon,

Diana

http://www.celiac.co...970-rice-dream/
http://www.celiac.co...luten-free-now/

You'd do a great, great service to your friend by telling him/her about this. Thanks for the good wishes.

Late 2006- One of many long-term bouts of severe illness, spread from childhood to early adulthood.
2006-2007- Thousands spent on testing.
Summer 2010- Found a possible link to Celiac disease. Despite negative blood results in the past, instantly felt a thousand times better after an elimination diet.
2010-2012- Lost mega pounds, almost 80-90 pounds. (Used to be almost 280!)
2012- Symptoms slowly came back and worsened throughout the year, rarely felt 100% with no explanation.
Winter 2012-13- Constantly ill, lifeless, crabby, dull, came to terms that I will be ill for the rest of my life. (Yet my girlfriend stayed by my side. Truly a keeper.)
Dec 2012- Thousands more spent on testing, again to no avail.
Feb 2013, my 24th birthday- Found SCDLifestyle.com, decided to try the SCD after seeing many of my symptoms (Including some nasty symptoms triggered by soy) mapped out.

One month later- Full of life and energy, down 18 pounds, happy to be wrong about my lifelong illness!

#4 kareng

kareng

Yum!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,810 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

http://www.celiac.co...970-rice-dream/
http://www.celiac.co...luten-free-now/

You'd do a great, great service to your friend by telling him/her about this. Thanks for the good wishes.

One of those threads is 6 years old and the other 4 years old. You might want to check with the company for any up to date info on a product.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

Someone told me I was delusional.  I almost fell off my unicorn.

fantasy-unicorn-15.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: