Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Wheat + Sleep = No Pain?! I Think I Found My Cure! (Possibly?)

• Please log in to reply

9 replies to this topic

#1 SandraLAVixen

SandraLAVixen

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:26 AM

Hi it's me again, yes I know, I've been up to challenging wheat again... I know, I'm stubborn... but I finally figured something out.

For the last month I ate danishes (made from wheat) every morning for a month and then went straight back to bed to nap, and an hour later there was no pain!!

I did that because I thought that my body was low on serotonin (a neurotransmitter) when my Carcinoid urine test (for some other condition) came back low (but not clinically significant low) on serotonin by-product.

I'm now up to eating two wheat danishes every morning, normally that would send me to the ER, but I go immediately back to sleep and there is no pain.

Has anyone else heard of being NCGI and then trying to sleep more and then being able to eat wheat again? Could I have just been low on serotonin all this time?
Wheat and gluten tolerant until Dec 2012...
causing pain afterwards...
Gluten-free Feb to Mar 2012.
Endoscopy, pillcam, biopsies, Celiac profile, NEGATIVE.
Elimination diet isolated to gluten thus far Sep 2012.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 a1956chill

a1956chill

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:33 AM

Hi it's me again, yes I know, I've been up to challenging wheat again... I know, I'm stubborn... but I finally figured something out.

For the last month I ate danishes (made from wheat) every morning for a month and then went straight back to bed to nap, and an hour later there was no pain!!

I did that because I thought that my body was low on serotonin (a neurotransmitter) when my Carcinoid urine test (for some other condition) came back low (but not clinically significant low) on serotonin by-product.

I'm now up to eating two wheat danishes every morning, normally that would send me to the ER, but I go immediately back to sleep and there is no pain.

Has anyone else heard of being NCGI and then trying to sleep more and then being able to eat wheat again? Could I have just been low on serotonin all this time?

please tell me you are joking .

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:45 AM

In so many ways, that does not make sense. There are plenty of ways to get more serotonin without eating wheat.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:56 AM

As far as I can tell by your signature, there is no reason for you not to eat whatever you want. If wheat doesn't bother you, good for you.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 Lady Eowyn

Lady Eowyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:27 AM

Have often thought that responses here are occasionally aggressive, patronizing and just plain mean especially to some poor soul who fell off the cart and made the mistake of eating some gluten.

However, can't make head nor tail of this post and would like to say I'm speechless (except obviously not)!

At the end of the day a danish each morning (or two ?) is not healthy eating for anyone and I'm sure it's not 'the answer' to anything either.

#6 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:38 AM

Sandra, since all of your testing--up to and including a pillcam--plus the most telling of all, the diet challenge are negative, it seems to me that it is safe to say that you don't appear to have a problem with gluten. Perhaps you might consider that your symptoms are due to other issues?

I reiterate this because the title of this thread--"I Think I Found a Cure" is misleading.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#7 guest134

guest134

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

I would agree that gluten is not your problem, if you feel the need to sleep and have mood swings after consuming carbs I would say you are more on the line of diabetic. If you had a gluten intolerance NOTHING but eliminating the food will alleviate your symptoms, the reason why many people are here is because there was no relief to any symptoms which lead to a confirmed celiac or NCGI diagnosis.

I guess the reason why some responses can seem hostile is because many people here have been through A LOT, a lot more than you think and through all the B.S (not anything against you) they have a certain exterior defence and have a low tolerance for things that are not factual in the basis of celiac and NCGI. Please don't take offence to any of the responses, everyone here has good intentions at heart but can sometimes come across as mean because of their low tolerance for the non-factual info that lead them to be undiagnosed for so many years.

If you truly believe that you have a gluten intolerance and uphold that you feel you have found what works for you than do what you have to do. Unfortunately the information you have provided does not lead members to believe you have either issues (and trust me if they thought you did they wouldn't lie to you) and we believe that you may be better off looking at other issues and considering the placebo effect in a case such as yours.

If you need any specific info please continue to post or if you feel more comfortable send me a private message, I will help you out to the best of my ability and knowledge.

Edit- Oops, just noticed that you were not the one who commented on the hostility, I will leave the comment there anyway, it is important to remember for anyone who feels that some responses can be heated.

#8 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

The suggestion to look at blood sugar makes sense to me. You may be getting sleepy after eating the danish due to the amount of sugar in it and the carbs. You can get a blood glucose test kit at a pharmacy and check your own levels. It isn't hard to do. You should test right before you eat, an hour after eating, and 2 hours after eating. Don't eat anything else in the time period when you are testing. That will give you an idea of how your body responds over time.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#9 SandraLAVixen

SandraLAVixen

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:01 AM

I know this sounds bizare, and it's very frustrating, maybe it's not a total "cure" but I found something at least.

I just know that if I force myself to sleep after eating wheat, there is considerably less pain. If I do not sleep much and eat wheat, then I have severe pain, thrashing, ER, etc, etc... (I don't feel particularly sleepy after eating danishes)

So that's all I know so far, and I'm just trying to figure out what could this be, I have to find an explaination to what I have.
Wheat and gluten tolerant until Dec 2012...
causing pain afterwards...
Gluten-free Feb to Mar 2012.
Endoscopy, pillcam, biopsies, Celiac profile, NEGATIVE.
Elimination diet isolated to gluten thus far Sep 2012.

#10 Darkfire Ann

Darkfire Ann

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:56 PM

Gluten makes me tired. Or it can make my heart race and make me swell and still tired. These are immediate reactions. Now if you are dealing with pain and sugar and wheat are making you better it is because you are getting high off of it. I believe it's more a Dopamine issue than a Serotonin issue but I am not a doctor. I do know you can become addicted to sugar and the very things that are killing you like Gluten so temporarily you will not only feel ok but better. However, if you are Celiac you will have intestinal damage symptomatic or not, but again I am not a doctor. Good luck to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: