bm1984

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:21 AM

Hi all,

My name is Ben, I'm 27 years of age.

Going back a couple of years now, I started to notice that I had a bout of diarrhea pretty much the moment I had finished eating my lunch at work. At first I put it down to some sort of sickness or - heaven forbid - simply signs of age! The diarrhea would never last (like when you get a proper illness) - it would pretty much vanish the moment I had been to the toilet.

Two years later I'm still experiencing it. I noticed that it was always after I had eaten my lunch. I also noticed that I didn't tend to get the same problems over the weekend (which I realised could possibly because I don't eat the things I eat on a weekday, over the weekend [i.e. sandwiches etc] as I tend to have cooked meals on the weekend).

Recently however, I have started having the same problem but in the morning - when I prepared my sandwiches/lunch for work!

I have no idea why it has taken me as long as it has to do anything about it, but this morning I decided to "Google it".

My first search bought up lactose intolerance. Reading that, some symptoms did make it sound a possibility. Then it had a link to IBS. This sounded less like my issue in all honesty. Finally I seen a link to Celiac Disease. By the time I had read the article I was 99% sure this is what I suffer from.

Going by the sypmtoms, I should probably consider myself quite lucky. My symptoms are literally limited to diarrhea. I don't get many headaches so those that I do get are unlikely (well, I think) to be as a direct result of Celiac Disease. I am however tired ALL the time - so I guess this could very well be a symptom related to it also.

However - and I'm not sure if this is possible - as I mentioned earlier, I've now started getting a bout of pretty much instant diarrhea the moment I even TOUCH bread!?!? For around the last 6 months (maybe a little longer) I get a bout come on the moment I start to prepare my sandwiches. I know it might sound insane, but I definitely don't eat anything when I'm preparing them so it's all that I can think of?! Is this known/common??

Given the above, do you think it sounds likely I suffer from Celiac Disease?

I guess I should probably still see a doctor just in case, but from what I've read I personally think it seems as though I am a sufferer.

I must admit, it's a fair daunting thought as it's pretty much a lifechanging condition. Obviously all of you will know exactly what it feels like but - yeh - did it feel this daunting to many of you?!

Thank you so much for taking the time to read. Hopefully I'll hear some of your replies shortly.

Many thanks,

Ben

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:57 AM

Welcome Ben!

You certainly could have Celiac Disease or Non-Celiac Gluten Intolerance.

It is VERY important to have your doctor order a full celiac blood panel BEFORE you remove gluten from your diet. The antibodies measured in these tests are produced in reaction to gluten ingestion.

Also a good idea to be tested for nutritional deficincies - celiac can cause malabsorption issues.

Hang in there - make sure all tests are completed and then remove ALL gluten for at least three monts as elimination is the only test for NCGI.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#3 bm1984

bm1984

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:39 AM

Welcome Ben!

You certainly could have Celiac Disease or Non-Celiac Gluten Intolerance.

It is VERY important to have your doctor order a full celiac blood panel BEFORE you remove gluten from your diet. The antibodies measured in these tests are produced in reaction to gluten ingestion.

Also a good idea to be tested for nutritional deficincies - celiac can cause malabsorption issues.

Hang in there - make sure all tests are completed and then remove ALL gluten for at least three monts as elimination is the only test for NCGI.

Thank you for the reply Lisa :)

I'll take your advice and get a doctors appointment asap! I will also continue with my current diet until I've see the doctor.

Thanks again!

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:00 AM

Welcome to the board. I agree that getting tested is a good idea. It may not be the making of the sandwiches that is getting you every morning it may be the timing. There are some of us that will have D every morning on gluten, after any gluten meal, alternating C and D or even just C. Do give the diet a good strict try after all celiac related testing is done as false negatives are not uncommon.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:10 AM

Greetings Ben,

I sure hope you have discovered the solution to your problems before it got to bad. Please let us know what happens for your testing. I have reacted to having barley flour in the same room, so I don't think it is impossible to have problems when preparing sandwiches. After testing maybe you can bring a thermos full of warm food for lunches.

Get well,
Diana

#6 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:03 PM

Yes, I found it daunting when I went through the list of symptoms! It explains 20 odd years of symptoms.

It does start to get manageable, and you have some time to read and prepare while you get testing done. Someone will be along with a good list for you soon...

The folks here are great for any wobbly moments as well as great advice.

Welcome and good luck with some answers
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#7 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

Here's the list of the celiac tests to be done:

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA
Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG
Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA
Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA
Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and IgG
Total Serum IgA

Do get all of them (insist) because sometimes you end up positive on only one or two - but that's all it takes. :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009