#1 psh827

psh827

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

Good Afternoon,

I am awaiting the results of the blood tests my doctor ran yesterday.

I am 48 years old, and have always, always felt just awful all the time. Tired, achy, tummy issues. The recent event that brought me back to the doctor is a horrible need to scratch my entire body, between my toes, EVERYWHERE. Intense chest pain (the esopheogus), nausea, vertigo, constant numbness in my fingers and vomiting.

My PCM was not in on the day I went in, sub doctor ran blood work (told me I was his mystery patient of the month, gotta love that one).

First result back was an elevated white count >17K. He treated me with prednisone, thought that would help the itching.

Finally got to see my doctor yesterday. He looked at all the results and told me my B-12 was very low (132). "You have the B-12 of a hard-core vegan" were his exact words. After looking at the history and more of the blood work, he is fairly certain it is Celiac.

Anyhow, he sent me for the antibody blood test last night and I am awaiting the results today. He is also giving me a B-12 shot to try to get the level up.

Just checking in to see if my story sounds familiar to anyone here. I will post the results to the antibody blood work as soon as I have them.

I honestly hope that it is Celiac and I have something to work with and not live my life not know why I never, ever feel well.

So glad I found your group!

Pam

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

Welcome to the board, Pam, and congratulations on finding someone willing to check for celiac - not always an easy task. It may take a day or two (or three) for the results to come in depending on what he ordered and your location. When you do get them, we would love to take a look. Be sure to ask for a print-out for yourself (you should do this with all your lab work) and keep a file you can refer to. There's no reason why your doctor should have the only medical file on you. If you care to share your results, be sure to give the test name, your score, and the lab ranges. There are people on this board who are pretty expert in interpreting lab tests :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 guest134

guest134

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

Hi Pam,

Sorry to hear that you have been so unwell, your symptoms and clinical presentation definitely do match celiac as a possibility, it is important to tackle each issue full hand in order to get an accurate diagnosis or exclusion, celiac needs a close look to not get misdiagnosed. Please give us all results including the test name, your number, and negative range. Hopefully your doctor knows which tests to do but in the event he does not, these are the tests that need to be completed in full (not some, all) to get an accurate picture:

Total serum IgA- This has nothing to do with celiac however if you are low in this than all of your IgA based tests will likely be false negative
Deamidated Gliadin IgA- In IgA sufficiency this is the most accurate test on your body's response to gluten ingestion, if this is positive your body is having a negative reaction to the consumption.
Deamidated Gliadin IgA- Similar to it's IgA counterpart but particularly useful if you are IgA deficient.
Tissue Transglutaminase Ab- This is a marker of damage, if this is elevated your intestines are damaged and celiac is most likely the cause (about 95-98 percent specific to celiac)
Endomysial Ab- Another marker of damage that is extremely specific to celiac

In the event you are missing some of these tests when you get your results back make sure to push the doctor to get them, too many people get misdiagnosed because of only one or two being tested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: