This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Age Did Everyone Begin To Have Symptoms?

jwblue

jwblue Apprentice

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

Which symptoms?

Classic? Never

Gastro? varied until sustained at 32+ must add I had no idea what "normal" bowel movements were

Autoimmune? varied until sustained at 28+

the other several dozen that I had? entire life - pictures as toddler with cracker in hand - crazy bloat

I don't mean to dismiss - just not sure what your question is.

Edited to add...when I had symptoms

jwblue Apprentice

Which symptoms?

Classic? Never

Gastro? varied until sustained at 32+ must add I had no idea what "normal" bowel movements were

Autoimmune? varied until sustained at 28+

the other several dozen that I had? entire life - pictures as toddler with cracker in hand - crazy bloat

I don't mean to dismiss - just not sure what your question is.

Edited to add...when I had symptoms

Any symptoms for Celiac.

GottaSki Mentor

12 months.

JDThornton Newbie

Mostly all my childhood. More severe at 18. Sustained since 26. I am now 29.

GF Lover Rising Star

Alot of my depression and anxiety developed early when I still lived with my family. Around 20 the mental health issues ramped up. Did some heavy drinking during those years. First miscarriage in 1990, first child born in 1993 (also when hypo hit). Second child in 1995. I always had a problem with constipation since teens. After pregnancies all the digestion issues came on strong. Then year after year more stuff. Monster migraines, Arthritis, periformis syndrome, sacroilitis, degenerative disk, hemorrhoids out of control, Sicca symptoms, fibromyalgia (mine is skin surface pain), stiffness in all joints, carpel tunnel (I believe from all over inflammation) and now cancer. I was only diagnosed celiac 5 months before the cancer.

Resolved issues. Had hemorrhoids operated on, all digestive issues resolved, migraine only when cc'd, whole body inflammation is less. Fibro surface pain is less often. Have an appetite now. Carpel tunnel resolved, I believe, as a decrease in inflammation.

I still have a lot of fatigue and weakness issues but I believe that is related to a different condition.

Best of luck,

Colleen

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I had mononucleousis when I was 19 and in college. After that I noticed, unending fatigue, bloating on occassion, and sensitivities to perfume and cigarette smoke. My appetite had unusual swings from famished constantly, to a severe lack of appetite. The symptoms gradually got more and more noticeble, but I think I was numbed either by extreme fatigue or lack of vitamin B. Gradually, the bloating and fatigue overcame me and did not go away.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

megsybeth Enthusiast

From the time I was born I was pale, skinny and had dark circles under my eyes. I guess around age four or five I had to have all my teeth capped because of "milk rot". At six I was ill for about a year: mono, tonsillitis, chicken pox. Just seemed to catch everything. After that, migraines, stomach isssues here and there, in early twenties abdominal pain. I didn't get diagnosed until 35 years old, two months ago.

Cara in Boston Enthusiast

No problems at all until I got pregnant with my second child (age 38). I went from going to the doctor once a year (just for annual physical) to going in every few months with really random symptoms. (cardiac, neuro, GI, etc.) It got to the point where my doctor just thought I was making stuff up because nothing ever showed up on the many, many expensive tests they ran. When my son was diagnosed (2nd child - coincidence?) at age 5 I got tested and was positive. I had a negative biopsy, but once I started the diet, my health returned. It was amazing. I wish someone had thought to suggest it much, much sooner. I realize 5 years is not bad compared to others, so I really can't complain.

luvs2eat Collaborator

I was 49... no other celiacs in my immediate or extended family. I had symptoms for about 2 months and was diagnosed by blood tests. Middle daughter was diagnosed at about age 26. Then youngest daughter was diagnosed a few years later at about age 27. And finally, oldest daughter was diagnosed at age 32. Still none of my siblings or extended family has it.

Darkfire Ann Newbie

According to my baby records I was born on Sept 21. I was given oats and barely in formula on Oct 25th and Oct 26th I developed a severe allergic rash. That was 39 years ago so the connection was sketchy. That is the first reported reaction I had to Gluten. So it's safe to say I was drawn this way.

• 3 weeks later...
Jcrosk Newbie

Looking back I've had symptoms for 20 years but I could always attribute them to something else. In January 2012 my colon had enough and shut down. I lost muscle control of my colon and needed laxatives to get any movement at all. It took about a month to diagnose it properly as celiac. I had 2 bloodiest, both negative. My doctor wasn't getting it. I decided to go gluten free, did it for a week and got back control of my colon and I felt so much better. Then I ate a hamburger and onion rings and all my symptoms came back. I consumed gluten for almost 42 years till my body said enough.

nvsmom Community Regular

I had "C" as soon as pablum was introduced and was into the doctor in my early childhood because of my chronic stomach aches. I can't remember as many stomach pains when i was a teen (migraines started instead) but they came back as an adult. I developed other autoimmune diseases, and other symptoms until I figured it out and got myself diagnosed this past year at age 38.

... 38 years I guess.

love2travel Mentor

No clue as I have never felt ill from eating gluten. But I started suspecting something (not celiac at the time) when I had miscarriages. Then three years ago I got bronchitis then pneumonia. After that my celiac fog started - I believe my illness may have triggered it, as did an accident that left me in constant chronic pain. I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia but believe that it is related to/caused from celiac. Not getting a bit better, even 1.5 years off gluten but there is always hope! :)

designerstubble Enthusiast

I wish I knew! I keep trying to remember when things first started... Bread has bothered me for a long time... I always felt tired after eating it but that was it? Is that a celiac symptom?

Apart from that I would say my symptoms have come on really slowly. So slowly that I struggle to pinpoint it exactly. Apart from bread 'bothering' me, I guess I first started not feeling right about 5 or 6 years ago. So that would've made me 33/34 years of age.

I'm still struggling with the fact that I may have had this for a very long time... Or if not, something triggering it. It's a horrible idea to think that something I did (stress) might have started this horrible disease.

L.O.C.T. Rookie

I remember the very day it seemed to all begin. Around age 10 or 11, I was eating out with my family and, while we were all waiting for food, I was struck with these horrendous stomach pains that I had never experienced in my life. I was really scared ; it was like my insides were going to explode...I just wanted to poke a hole in my side and deflate/remove whatever little mythical horse was kicking the inside of my torso from multiple directions :P I later found out that this was what gas cramps felt like, and little did I know that these were going to become a regular part of my life (as in, 2-3 nights per week, without fail) for the next few years. They disappeared, as if magically, when I stopped eating gluten.

Archived