Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Flour Substitution

7 posts in this topic

Does anyone know what flour I can use in place of brown rice?

Ads by Google:

Does anyone know what flour I can use in place of brown rice?

have you a problem with rice and cant use it ?

what are you trying to make ??

have you a problem with rice and cant use it ?

what are you trying to make ??

I am trying to make bread for my daughter. She cannot have egg, rice, gluten, corn, soy, and oats to name a few. I want to make her a bread that tastes good and rice and corn seems to be in everything. Thanks.

I am trying to make bread for my daughter. She cannot have egg, rice, gluten, corn, soy, and oats to name a few. I want to make her a bread that tastes good and rice and corn seems to be in everything. Thanks.

+

Not sure if this helps, it's quick and easy to make though you'd need to use an egg replacer like this.

316644b.jpg

Brazillian cheese breads http://www.livaad.nl/Prod38engels.htm

Try a mixture of 1/3 tapioca, 1/3 buckwheat, 1/3 amaranth, or

1/4 tapioca, 1/4 almond meal, 1/3 buckwheat, 1/3 amaranth, or

1/3 buckwheat, 1/3 potato starch, 1/3 garbanzo or white bean flour

All of these are "stickier" than rice flours and need less gums. You can take a teaspoon of chia seed (or more) per cup of flour mixture used, and soak it in cool tap water, to make a "chia egg" gel to use in place of eggs. Or flax meal soaked in warm water. Then you will need leavening, such as vinegar and baking soda, or baking powder.

this recipe needs no gums or eggs, yet it works. And it can also be used in "bun in a cup" in the microwave.

gluten-free Grainless Buckwheat Pancake or Flatbread, sans Eggs

heaping tablespoon of gluten-free buckwheat* flour

heaping tablespoon of potato starch (not potato flour)

heaping tablespoon of preferred bean flour, such as garbanzo (can sub drained, rinsed, well mashed canned beans, other types, use a bit less water)

dash salt

pinch of baking soda

pinch of cream of tartar

tablespoon of olive oil

1/2 teas pure apple cider vinegar

sweetener to taste, whatever type is preferred, a little honey, agave, stevia, molasses, if desired

pinch of spice, if desired ( I like cumin and chinese 5-spice)

water

*buckwheat flour can be made from gluten free buckwheat groats or cereal, by whirring it in a coffee grinder, if you have trouble finding it. Don't use the Bob's Red Mill brand, unfortunately, it is cross contaminated with oats :(

Mix the ingredients together, and add enough water to create a thick pancake batter. Cook in olive oil in a hot pan (dedicated cast iron makes nice pancakes). Cook on one side until edges dry and bubbles come thru, flip to cook other side. Makes 1 large pancake or flatbread.

This recipe can also be cooked in a small ramekin or single serving bowl in the microwave, to make a "bun," (grease the bowl lightly, first) for anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute to a minute +, test for doneness by sticking a knife into it to see if it has cooked through.

Try a mixture of 1/3 tapioca, 1/3 buckwheat, 1/3 amaranth, or

1/4 tapioca, 1/4 almond meal, 1/3 buckwheat, 1/3 amaranth, or

1/3 buckwheat, 1/3 potato starch, 1/3 garbanzo or white bean flour

All of these are "stickier" than rice flours and need less gums. You can take a teaspoon of chia seed (or more) per cup of flour mixture used, and soak it in cool tap water, to make a "chia egg" gel to use in place of eggs. Or flax meal soaked in warm water. Then you will need leavening, such as vinegar and baking soda, or baking powder.

this recipe needs no gums or eggs, yet it works. And it can also be used in "bun in a cup" in the microwave.

gluten-free Grainless Buckwheat Pancake or Flatbread, sans Eggs

heaping tablespoon of gluten-free buckwheat* flour

heaping tablespoon of potato starch (not potato flour)

heaping tablespoon of preferred bean flour, such as garbanzo (can sub drained, rinsed, well mashed canned beans, other types, use a bit less water)

dash salt

pinch of baking soda

pinch of cream of tartar

tablespoon of olive oil

1/2 teas pure apple cider vinegar

sweetener to taste, whatever type is preferred, a little honey, agave, stevia, molasses, if desired

pinch of spice, if desired ( I like cumin and chinese 5-spice)

water

*buckwheat flour can be made from gluten free buckwheat groats or cereal, by whirring it in a coffee grinder, if you have trouble finding it. Don't use the Bob's Red Mill brand, unfortunately, it is cross contaminated with oats :(

Mix the ingredients together, and add enough water to create a thick pancake batter. Cook in olive oil in a hot pan (dedicated cast iron makes nice pancakes). Cook on one side until edges dry and bubbles come thru, flip to cook other side. Makes 1 large pancake or flatbread.

This recipe can also be cooked in a small ramekin or single serving bowl in the microwave, to make a "bun," (grease the bowl lightly, first) for anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute to a minute +, test for doneness by sticking a knife into it to see if it has cooked through.

Thank you so much for taking the time to give this to me! I will try it today. Have a great day!