#1 Sarahsmile416

Sarahsmile416

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:31 PM

Hi -

I'm a type 1 diabetic and suspect myself to be at least sensitive to gluten (still pre-diagnosis here) and I was wondering if anyone knew of a brand of bread I could try that was gluten free, low carb but still tasted good? I tried one at my local supermarket and it tasted like card board so have been a little hesitant to buy anything since...any advice?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Kelleybean

Kelleybean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

I don't know of a brand you can get at the store, but Elana's Pantry (www.elanaspantry.com) has a good bread recipe (I think it's called "Paleo Bread") with almond flour. It's super easy to make.

#3 Little Joe

Little Joe

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

While I have not tried it, there is something named Paleo Bread by Julian Bakery (http://www.paleobread.com/, http://www.julianbakery.com/) that is supposed to be good (they have a few lines of low and lower-carb bread, many of which are gluten-free). By "supposed to be good" I have heard (yes, hearsay!) that it is good. I plan on trying some myself, but have not yet put in an order. Our local Whole Foods carries some of their products (but not the Paleo Bread) and they are OK. That said, I agree that, relative to a good, real bread, the gluten-free/low-carb stuff I have tried does not match up well.

I am no baker, but my wife has become quite adept at making some delicious quick loaf type breads, namely a cinnamon bread, pumpkin bread, pumpkin-cinnamon bread, etc. out of almond and/or coconut flour, eggs, cream, and some other ingredients (I should post her recipes). These, however, resemble a more crumbly banana-nut type bread as opposed to something with which to make sandwiches or toast.

#4 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

My daughter likes the Ener-G breads. Some are pretty low in carbs. Like the Flax, Corn and Lite Tapioca. The slices are pretty small though and it is best served toasted or at least warmed in the microwave.

#5 Skysmom03

Skysmom03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

I don't know if it is low carb but my T-1/celiac disease husband likes UDIS for bread and muffins and Vans waffles.

#6 Sarahsmile416

Sarahsmile416

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

Thanks for all the advice...I will look into it.

Regarding the bread from Julian's - I had heard of it and we have some health food stores in our area that carry it, so perhaps I will get some this weekend. Hearsay or not, it's more than I have going for me right now, so I would take anyone's word on it. Guess I'll do some trial and error and see what I can find...:)

#7 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:50 PM

I actually like the Paleo Bread by Julian Bakery! I agree that their other low-carb breads do not quite match up, though they are not awful, but the coconut bread is lovely, and it is basically all the bread I can have now that I am grain- and legume-free.
Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Grave's disease (2011). It must have been a Black Friday.
Intestinal dysbiosis. Suspected damage to my vili (2012). NCGS according to my dermatologist upon seeing my post-wheat rash.

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.
Canola, almonds, soy = evil.

Grain-free, legume-free. December 2012.
No peanuts and tree nuts. February 2013.
Erb-Duchenne palsy from birth trauma.

My body is trying to kill me.

#8 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

i don't do bread in a traditional sense, I do however like corn tortillas.

#9 Sarahsmile416

Sarahsmile416

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:42 AM

ButterflyChaser -
The coconut bread sounds very good as I love the taste of coconut - does it taste much like coconut or is it just traces of a flavor?
Corn tortillas might be an option too...I just love bread! It's going to be hard saying goodbye to that. And crackers for that matter - I am a cracker junkie!

#10 peeptoad

peeptoad

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:51 AM

I actually like the Paleo Bread by Julian Bakery! I agree that their other low-carb breads do not quite match up, though they are not awful, but the coconut bread is lovely, and it is basically all the bread I can have now that I am grain- and legume-free.

How does the coconut bread compare to almond paleo bread? Have you tried that one? I seem to have a problem with certain FODMAP foods, and coconut is usually on that list (though I'm not sure about cocnut flour, per se). I am totally cool with almonds though... this bread looks really good andI'm searching for gluten-free low-carb options these days because now almost all carbs seem to bother me to some extent. :(

#11 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

The coconut bread has only a very slight hint of coconut aroma when toasted. But no distinct coconutty taste, and it is not sweet at all.

I can't speak to the almond bread because I can't have almonds.
Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Grave's disease (2011). It must have been a Black Friday.
Intestinal dysbiosis. Suspected damage to my vili (2012). NCGS according to my dermatologist upon seeing my post-wheat rash.

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.

#12 Sarahsmile416

Sarahsmile416

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

Thanks for the information regarding the taste of the Coconut Bread, Butterfly Chaser. What is the texture of it like?

#13 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

I live near Julian Bakery and pick up both coconut and almond paleo bread. I prefer the almond -- although there was a time I could only tolerate the coconut. This is not a bread to be compared with the best gluten-free breads or homemade -- but toasted with a bit of almond butter is quite nice.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#14 mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

Hi -

I'm a type 1 diabetic and suspect myself to be at least sensitive to gluten (still pre-diagnosis here) and I was wondering if anyone knew of a brand of bread I could try that was gluten free, low carb but still tasted good? I tried one at my local supermarket and it tasted like card board so have been a little hesitant to buy anything since...any advice?

Most people like the taste of udis. Low carb, I don't know. Sometimes you have to try several before you like one.

#15 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

The texture of the coconut is quite dense and moist, because coconut flour is ofter very fine and lumpy. I like mine double-toasted, but that's because neither myself not my mum have ever been able to digest bread UNLESS toasted. I agree they are different from most breads, GottaSki, though I DO envy you being able to pick it up!!!! I have ordered some to bring overseas during Christmas... I wish they made Paleo bagels with that dough!

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: