This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Good Tasting, Low Carb, Gluten Free Bread

Sarahsmile416

Sarahsmile416 Apprentice

Hi -

I'm a type 1 diabetic and suspect myself to be at least sensitive to gluten (still pre-diagnosis here) and I was wondering if anyone knew of a brand of bread I could try that was gluten free, low carb but still tasted good? I tried one at my local supermarket and it tasted like card board so have been a little hesitant to buy anything since...any advice?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kelleybean Enthusiast

I don't know of a brand you can get at the store, but Elana's Pantry (www.elanaspantry.com) has a good bread recipe (I think it's called "Paleo Bread") with almond flour. It's super easy to make.

Little Joe Newbie

While I have not tried it, there is something named Paleo Bread by Julian Bakery (Open Original Shared Link, Open Original Shared Link) that is supposed to be good (they have a few lines of low and lower-carb bread, many of which are gluten-free). By "supposed to be good" I have heard (yes, hearsay!) that it is good. I plan on trying some myself, but have not yet put in an order. Our local Whole Foods carries some of their products (but not the Paleo Bread) and they are OK. That said, I agree that, relative to a good, real bread, the gluten-free/low-carb stuff I have tried does not match up well.

I am no baker, but my wife has become quite adept at making some delicious quick loaf type breads, namely a cinnamon bread, pumpkin bread, pumpkin-cinnamon bread, etc. out of almond and/or coconut flour, eggs, cream, and some other ingredients (I should post her recipes). These, however, resemble a more crumbly banana-nut type bread as opposed to something with which to make sandwiches or toast.

Juliebove Rising Star

My daughter likes the Ener-G breads. Some are pretty low in carbs. Like the Flax, Corn and Lite Tapioca. The slices are pretty small though and it is best served toasted or at least warmed in the microwave.

Skysmom03 Newbie

I don't know if it is low carb but my T-1/celiac disease husband likes UDIS for bread and muffins and Vans waffles.

Sarahsmile416 Apprentice

Thanks for all the advice...I will look into it.

Regarding the bread from Julian's - I had heard of it and we have some health food stores in our area that carry it, so perhaps I will get some this weekend. Hearsay or not, it's more than I have going for me right now, so I would take anyone's word on it. Guess I'll do some trial and error and see what I can find...:)

ButterflyChaser Enthusiast

I actually like the Paleo Bread by Julian Bakery! I agree that their other low-carb breads do not quite match up, though they are not awful, but the coconut bread is lovely, and it is basically all the bread I can have now that I am grain- and legume-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

i don't do bread in a traditional sense, I do however like corn tortillas.

Sarahsmile416 Apprentice

ButterflyChaser -

The coconut bread sounds very good as I love the taste of coconut - does it taste much like coconut or is it just traces of a flavor?

Corn tortillas might be an option too...I just love bread! It's going to be hard saying goodbye to that. And crackers for that matter - I am a cracker junkie!

peeptoad Apprentice

I actually like the Paleo Bread by Julian Bakery! I agree that their other low-carb breads do not quite match up, though they are not awful, but the coconut bread is lovely, and it is basically all the bread I can have now that I am grain- and legume-free.

How does the coconut bread compare to almond paleo bread? Have you tried that one? I seem to have a problem with certain FODMAP foods, and coconut is usually on that list (though I'm not sure about cocnut flour, per se). I am totally cool with almonds though... this bread looks really good andI'm searching for gluten-free low-carb options these days because now almost all carbs seem to bother me to some extent. :(

The coconut bread has only a very slight hint of coconut aroma when toasted. But no distinct coconutty taste, and it is not sweet at all.

I can't speak to the almond bread because I can't have almonds.

Sarahsmile416 Apprentice

Thanks for the information regarding the taste of the Coconut Bread, Butterfly Chaser. What is the texture of it like?

GottaSki Mentor

I live near Julian Bakery and pick up both coconut and almond paleo bread. I prefer the almond -- although there was a time I could only tolerate the coconut. This is not a bread to be compared with the best gluten-free breads or homemade -- but toasted with a bit of almond butter is quite nice.

mommyto2kids Collaborator

Hi -

I'm a type 1 diabetic and suspect myself to be at least sensitive to gluten (still pre-diagnosis here) and I was wondering if anyone knew of a brand of bread I could try that was gluten free, low carb but still tasted good? I tried one at my local supermarket and it tasted like card board so have been a little hesitant to buy anything since...any advice?

Most people like the taste of udis. Low carb, I don't know. Sometimes you have to try several before you like one.

The texture of the coconut is quite dense and moist, because coconut flour is ofter very fine and lumpy. I like mine double-toasted, but that's because neither myself not my mum have ever been able to digest bread UNLESS toasted. I agree they are different from most breads, GottaSki, though I DO envy you being able to pick it up!!!! I have ordered some to bring overseas during Christmas... I wish they made Paleo bagels with that dough!

GottaSki Mentor

The texture of the coconut is quite dense and moist, because coconut flour is ofter very fine and lumpy. I like mine double-toasted, but that's because neither myself not my mum have ever been able to digest bread UNLESS toasted. I agree they are different from most breads, GottaSki, though I DO envy you being able to pick it up!!!! I have ordered some to bring overseas during Christmas... I wish they made Paleo bagels with that dough!

Agreed...bagels would be awesome. My husband's jobsite is near their bakery -- will pass the suggestion up the chain.

I also kinda double toast...I toast it light and then flip it and toast again...it's not the toaster...the bread kinda curls during first toasting.

Again, this is not light, fluffy bread -- it is for those that can't tolerate udi's or canyon bakehouse, etc.

peeptoad Apprentice

The coconut bread has only a very slight hint of coconut aroma when toasted. But no distinct coconutty taste, and it is not sweet at all.

I can't speak to the almond bread because I can't have almonds.

I live near Julian Bakery and pick up both coconut and almond paleo bread. I prefer the almond -- although there was a time I could only tolerate the coconut. This is not a bread to be compared with the best gluten-free breads or homemade -- but toasted with a bit of almond butter is quite nice.

Thanks to both of you for the details on the bread. I found a place that is (sort of) close to where I live that is supposed to carry this stuff, so I'll probably pick up a loaf of each (assuming they have them) to test them out... I ate an entire gluten-free pizza for dinner last night, so I really think I should switch to low-carb bread! :lol:

Sarahsmile416 Apprentice

Wow!! This is awesome! Thanks for all this great information. I'm going to go to a health food store after work that I know carries breads from Julian's, so hopefully they will have either the almond or the coconut variety. I don't tend to toast my bread, but maybe I will start to...

I am a newbie in all this...what are udi's?

GottaSki Mentor

Wow!! This is awesome! Thanks for all this great information. I'm going to go to a health food store after work that I know carries breads from Julian's, so hopefully they will have either the almond or the coconut variety. I don't tend to toast my bread, but maybe I will start to...

I am a newbie in all this...what are udi's?

Welcome Sarah!

Udi's is one of the best gluten-free beads. If you aren't specifically looking for a low carb bread I wouldn't start trying gluten-free bread with Julian.

Udi's is found in the freezer section of many markets. Google Udi's to find at a store near you. This bread is also better toasted, but is ok without toasting too.

Canyon Bakehouse is my family's favorote gluten-free bread, but does cost even more than Udi's so I buy this for a treat.

Others have found good gluten-free breads - I cant remember the brands right now - if you search gluten-free bread or Udi's in this forum's search feature you'll.find lots to read.

Sarahsmile416 Apprentice

Thank you so much, GottaSki!! I will check it out. I think I willat least try Julian's because I would prefer the low carb option since I have diabetes. But Udi's definitely sound good for a day when I am being "good" carb-wise!!

Agreed...bagels would be awesome. My husband's jobsite is near their bakery -- will pass the suggestion up the chain.

I also kinda double toast...I toast it light and then flip it and toast again...it's not the toaster...the bread kinda curls during first toasting.

You are my hero. Also, the city has run out of the coconut variety, and my order has not arrived yet. Awesome. Just awesome. Anyone knows how to make coconut quickbread?

YES! They do curl. But I noticed a funny thing. It does not do that in all toasters - it only curls badly in some. I have no idea why.

Sarahsmile416 Apprentice

Bought Udi's cinnamon raisin bread and tried it- was as good as advertised...and really, for only one slice, not too high in carbs either, so many thanks!!

KMMO320 Contributor

I just traveled an hour to the nearest health food store that carried Julian Bakery Bread. All they carried was Cinnamon Carb Zero and then just plan Carb Zero, so I bought both. I put a slice of each through the toaster and tried them...and promptly spit them out. I could not choke it down, so awful! I woul dlike to try the other types but I would have to order them online. What a waste of 16 dollars and the gas/time it took to get it!

GottaSki Mentor

I just traveled an hour to the nearest health food store that carried Julian Bakery Bread. All they carried was Cinnamon Carb Zero and then just plan Carb Zero, so I bought both. I put a slice of each through the toaster and tried them...and promptly spit them out. I could not choke it down, so awful! I woul dlike to try the other types but I would have to order them online. What a waste of 16 dollars and the gas/time it took to get it!

Maybe I wasnt clear in my last post - if you do not HAVE to be grain free - I do not recommend Paleo Bread. I have been grain free for over a year so the coconut and almond breads taste a bit better from my prospective.

If I could eat canyon bakehouse or udi's or schar I would never purchase paleo bread.

Sarahsmile416 Apprentice

Good advice! My health food store carries the Carb Zero and I was going to buy it when I was there the other day, but bought Schar's instead. After reading this, glad I made that choice!! :)

Archived