24 replies to this topic

#16 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:08 PM

The texture of the coconut is quite dense and moist, because coconut flour is ofter very fine and lumpy. I like mine double-toasted, but that's because neither myself not my mum have ever been able to digest bread UNLESS toasted. I agree they are different from most breads, GottaSki, though I DO envy you being able to pick it up!!!! I have ordered some to bring overseas during Christmas... I wish they made Paleo bagels with that dough!

Agreed...bagels would be awesome. My husband's jobsite is near their bakery -- will pass the suggestion up the chain.

I also kinda double toast...I toast it light and then flip it and toast again...it's not the toaster...the bread kinda curls during first toasting.

Again, this is not light, fluffy bread -- it is for those that can't tolerate udi's or canyon bakehouse, etc.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 peeptoad

peeptoad

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:54 AM

The coconut bread has only a very slight hint of coconut aroma when toasted. But no distinct coconutty taste, and it is not sweet at all.

I can't speak to the almond bread because I can't have almonds.

I live near Julian Bakery and pick up both coconut and almond paleo bread. I prefer the almond -- although there was a time I could only tolerate the coconut. This is not a bread to be compared with the best gluten-free breads or homemade -- but toasted with a bit of almond butter is quite nice.

Thanks to both of you for the details on the bread. I found a place that is (sort of) close to where I live that is supposed to carry this stuff, so I'll probably pick up a loaf of each (assuming they have them) to test them out... I ate an entire gluten-free pizza for dinner last night, so I really think I should switch to low-carb bread! :lol:

#18 Sarahsmile416

Sarahsmile416

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:04 AM

Wow!! This is awesome! Thanks for all this great information. I'm going to go to a health food store after work that I know carries breads from Julian's, so hopefully they will have either the almond or the coconut variety. I don't tend to toast my bread, but maybe I will start to...

I am a newbie in all this...what are udi's?

#19 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:50 AM

Wow!! This is awesome! Thanks for all this great information. I'm going to go to a health food store after work that I know carries breads from Julian's, so hopefully they will have either the almond or the coconut variety. I don't tend to toast my bread, but maybe I will start to...

I am a newbie in all this...what are udi's?

Welcome Sarah!

Udi's is one of the best gluten-free beads. If you aren't specifically looking for a low carb bread I wouldn't start trying gluten-free bread with Julian.

Udi's is found in the freezer section of many markets. Google Udi's to find at a store near you. This bread is also better toasted, but is ok without toasting too.

Canyon Bakehouse is my family's favorote gluten-free bread, but does cost even more than Udi's so I buy this for a treat.

Others have found good gluten-free breads - I cant remember the brands right now - if you search gluten-free bread or Udi's in this forum's search feature you'll.find lots to read.

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#20 Sarahsmile416

Sarahsmile416

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:35 AM

Thank you so much, GottaSki!! I will check it out. I think I willat least try Julian's because I would prefer the low carb option since I have diabetes. But Udi's definitely sound good for a day when I am being "good" carb-wise!!

#21 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:37 PM

Agreed...bagels would be awesome. My husband's jobsite is near their bakery -- will pass the suggestion up the chain.

I also kinda double toast...I toast it light and then flip it and toast again...it's not the toaster...the bread kinda curls during first toasting.

You are my hero. Also, the city has run out of the coconut variety, and my order has not arrived yet. Awesome. Just awesome. Anyone knows how to make coconut quickbread?

YES! They do curl. But I noticed a funny thing. It does not do that in all toasters - it only curls badly in some. I have no idea why.
Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Grave's disease (2011). It must have been a Black Friday.
Intestinal dysbiosis. Suspected damage to my vili (2012). NCGS according to my dermatologist upon seeing my post-wheat rash.

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.
Canola, almonds, soy = evil.

Grain-free, legume-free. December 2012.
No peanuts and tree nuts. February 2013.
Erb-Duchenne palsy from birth trauma.

My body is trying to kill me.

#22 Sarahsmile416

Sarahsmile416

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

Bought Udi's cinnamon raisin bread and tried it- was as good as advertised...and really, for only one slice, not too high in carbs either, so many thanks!!

#23 KMMO320

KMMO320

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:28 AM

I just traveled an hour to the nearest health food store that carried Julian Bakery Bread. All they carried was Cinnamon Carb Zero and then just plan Carb Zero, so I bought both. I put a slice of each through the toaster and tried them...and promptly spit them out. I could not choke it down, so awful! I woul dlike to try the other types but I would have to order them online. What a waste of 16 dollars and the gas/time it took to get it!

#24 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

I just traveled an hour to the nearest health food store that carried Julian Bakery Bread. All they carried was Cinnamon Carb Zero and then just plan Carb Zero, so I bought both. I put a slice of each through the toaster and tried them...and promptly spit them out. I could not choke it down, so awful! I woul dlike to try the other types but I would have to order them online. What a waste of 16 dollars and the gas/time it took to get it!

Maybe I wasnt clear in my last post - if you do not HAVE to be grain free - I do not recommend Paleo Bread. I have been grain free for over a year so the coconut and almond breads taste a bit better from my prospective.

If I could eat canyon bakehouse or udi's or schar I would never purchase paleo bread.

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#25 Sarahsmile416

Sarahsmile416

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

Good advice! My health food store carries the Carb Zero and I was going to buy it when I was there the other day, but bought Schar's instead. After reading this, glad I made that choice!! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: