38 replies to this topic

#1 KikiB

KikiB

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

Originally I thought it was the soy in the tuna that was making me nauseous. So I bought the cans with just tuna and water. No soy. But after 3 tries, 2 weeks apart for each try, I still get nauseous and fatigued. I use Kraft Best Foods mayo in it, my own bottle, so it's not contaminated.

So frustrating. I have always loved tuna. Up until the mono triggered this nightmare with gluten, I ate tuna all the time with no problems.

Is it possible I have developed an intolerance to tuna?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Kamma

Kamma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

Originally I thought it was the soy in the tuna that was making me nauseous. So I bought the cans with just tuna and water. No soy. But after 3 tries, 2 weeks apart for each try, I still get nauseous and fatigued. I use Kraft Best Foods mayo in it, my own bottle, so it's not contaminated.

So frustrating. I have always loved tuna. Up until the mono triggered this nightmare with gluten, I ate tuna all the time with no problems.

Is it possible I have developed an intolerance to tuna?

Is the mayonnaise made with soy oil?

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

Have you tried just tuna? Maybe it's the mayo you have a problem with?
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

I am intolerant to any and all fish. Not sure what my symptoms are though since I only know this by testing. I just gave up all fish then.

#5 KikiB

KikiB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

Is the mayonnaise made with soy oil?

Have you tried just tuna? Maybe it's the mayo you have a problem with?

This is why I have to ask for help. Clueless. I never knew there was soy in the mayo. But I have been putting it on sandwiches with no problem. So maybe it's the amount of mayo because there is more when it is just tuna and mayo?

I don't think I could eat just plain tuna without mayo.

I am intolerant to any and all fish. Not sure what my symptoms are though since I only know this by testing. I just gave up all fish then.

I have no problem with salmon or shellfish that I am aware of.

#6 Kamma

Kamma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

This is why I have to ask for help. Clueless. I never knew there was soy in the mayo. But I have been putting it on sandwiches with no problem. So maybe it's the amount of mayo because there is more when it is just tuna and mayo?

I don't think I could eat just plain tuna without mayo.

I have no problem with salmon or shellfish that I am aware of.

I had no clue either until I started getting sick and looking at the ingredients of food that I used to take for granted. :) No worries. By the way, I use a mayonnaise that uses canola oil instead of soy oil. There's quite a few out there that do. Try doing the switch and see if that helps. Or, if you don't want to invest in a jar of mayonnaise that you might react to, just try eating plain tuna for a bit. If you don't get sick, then it was the mayonnaise.....an THEN invest in a jar of canola oil mayonnaise. :)

#7 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

If you can tolerate plain yogurt you could try mixing a bit of that in the tuna instead of mayo. I promise, it'll taste good.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#8 Kamma

Kamma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

If you can tolerate plain yogurt you could try mixing a bit of that in the tuna instead of mayo. I promise, it'll taste good.

Yeah! I heard that was good! I can't have it cause it's dairy...but damn, if I only could!

#9 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask if you have any problems with corn. If so, it might be the lining of the cans. They are now lining some cans with the new corn-based plastic. Crazy as it sounds, if you are intolerant to corn, it'll get you.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#10 KikiB

KikiB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

I had no clue either until I started getting sick and looking at the ingredients of food that I used to take for granted. :) No worries. By the way, I use a mayonnaise that uses canola oil instead of soy oil. There's quite a few out there that do. Try doing the switch and see if that helps. Or, if you don't want to invest in a jar of mayonnaise that you might react to, just try eating plain tuna for a bit. If you don't get sick, then it was the mayonnaise.....an THEN invest in a jar of canola oil mayonnaise. :)

I'll look around for one this weekend. I can't believe how many things have soy in them! You don't worry about the canola oil?

I've never liked yogurt, but I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip!

#11 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

I mash up an avocado and use that instead of mayo in my tuna. Pretty tasty!
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#12 Kamma

Kamma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:41 PM

I'll look around for one this weekend. I can't believe how many things have soy in them! You don't worry about the canola oil?

I've never liked yogurt, but I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip!

Yup, there's tons of things with soy in them. Even margarine. Every margarine container that I looked at one day had soy in it. The only soy free substitute I have ever found is Earth Balance Almond Spread.

Canola oil is naturally gluten free. It has the potential for cross contamination in the processing but there is something to do with the seed sizes and the cleaning process that eliminates this potential. It's tested further after processing and before shipment and these tests show there is no detectable levels.

I hope the mayonnaise is the problem as having to forego tuna would be disappointing. Tuna is one my staples! Good luck!

#13 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

You can try fresh tuna or fresh frozen plain tuna, and cook it yourself, to test if it is a canned tuna processing problem.

#14 Lady Eowyn

Lady Eowyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:33 AM

Hi
I just can't eat cannned tuna either.
Used to have it pre-gluten-free but felt so yuk all the time back then that may not have noticed.
Pretty soon noticed when gluten free though (along with lots of other things :( ).
Have tried it packed in just spring water but no good. I can eat canned salmon and mackerel no problem.
Can eat fresh tuna ok - perhaps something funny going on in tuna canning industry :blink: .
Don't eat mayonnaise anyway so no worries there !!!

#15 KikiB

KikiB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask if you have any problems with corn. If so, it might be the lining of the cans. They are now lining some cans with the new corn-based plastic. Crazy as it sounds, if you are intolerant to corn, it'll get you.

I don't think I have a problem with corn. I hadn't heard that about the cans! How can you tell if a can has been lined with the corn-based plastic?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: