38 replies to this topic

#16 KikiB

KikiB

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:05 AM

I mash up an avocado and use that instead of mayo in my tuna. Pretty tasty!

That does sound good. I'm going to try the tuna plain the next time I feel up to it, and if all goes ok, I'll try the avocado!

Yup, there's tons of things with soy in them. Even margarine. Every margarine container that I looked at one day had soy in it. The only soy free substitute I have ever found is Earth Balance Almond Spread.

Canola oil is naturally gluten free. It has the potential for cross contamination in the processing but there is something to do with the seed sizes and the cleaning process that eliminates this potential. It's tested further after processing and before shipment and these tests show there is no detectable levels.

I hope the mayonnaise is the problem as having to forego tuna would be disappointing. Tuna is one my staples! Good luck!

Thanks for the info on Canola, I was worried about it.

You can try fresh tuna or fresh frozen plain tuna, and cook it yourself, to test if it is a canned tuna processing problem.

Good idea!

Hi
I just can't eat cannned tuna either.
Used to have it pre-gluten-free but felt so yuk all the time back then that may not have noticed.
Pretty soon noticed when gluten free though (along with lots of other things :( ).
Have tried it packed in just spring water but no good. I can eat canned salmon and mackerel no problem.
Can eat fresh tuna ok - perhaps something funny going on in tuna canning industry :blink: .
Don't eat mayonnaise anyway so no worries there !!!

It wouldn't surprise me. I don't really trust companies to be open about what they are doing with our food.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:43 AM

I don't think I have a problem with corn. I hadn't heard that about the cans! How can you tell if a can has been lined with the corn-based plastic?

Most companys are switching over from BPA plastics to the corn-based stuff. BPA's are bad for us anyway, so I just avoid all canned food now.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#18 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,389 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

Lightbulb just popped up over my head!

My husband catches tuna when he goes fishing - when he catches enough we "can" it in mason jars - some years we run out or have none so we by canned albacore.

I like ours - but not canned!! If next season provides I'll save a few jars for you :)
-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAS

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile :)

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs - using Peer Reviewed Publications...

along with input from the best medical professionals you can find.

#19 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

I like tuna with a bit of olive oil, especially the ones with a bit of natural flavor like chilli.

If I have something like artichokes in a jar I keep the oil left in the jar and use it a dressing

Good luck
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#20 KikiB

KikiB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

Most companys are switching over from BPA plastics to the corn-based stuff. BPA's are bad for us anyway, so I just avoid all canned food now.

Ugh! I don't eat a lot of canned food, but I hope I stay ok with corn!

#21 KikiB

KikiB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

Lightbulb just popped up over my head!

My husband catches tuna when he goes fishing - when he catches enough we "can" it in mason jars - some years we run out or have none so we by canned albacore.

I like ours - but not canned!! If next season provides I'll save a few jars for you :)

Wow, that's so awesome!!! :D

I like tuna with a bit of olive oil, especially the ones with a bit of natural flavor like chilli.

If I have something like artichokes in a jar I keep the oil left in the jar and use it a dressing

Good luck

Very clever!

#22 KikiB

KikiB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

I made my own mayo without soy, and used it today with tuna. I'm super queasy. Could it be the tuna? Or the Canola oil?

I don't think I have a problem corn. I eat chicken tacos on corn tortillas without a problem...

#23 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

Hi Kiki,

I think you said the mayo didn't make you sick right? So, yes, it's the tuna. No problem, just stop eating tuna. People shouldn't eat seafood more than twice a week anyway, due to the mercury levels in some fish. You could try other kinds of fish instead, there are a lot of them out there in the sea! :)
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#24 Seifer

Seifer

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

It could be a histamine problem, tuna converts histidine to histamine if it's not fresh from the ocean, if you're sensitive as me that might be it

#25 RuskitD

RuskitD

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:36 AM

If there is a corn sensitivity, it could be getting you in many ways. Fish are caught and put in a vat of corn based citric acid/water for the trip to land. Many 'tuna in water' really isn't 'water' but vegetable broth. Vegetable either being corn or soy. Then there is the can lining, as mentioned. But I would guess your mayo has corn also.
I personally have found that since going gluten-free I can eat some things that used to kill my gut. Like citrus no longer bothers me. But then there are things I seemed ok with before gluten-free (and CF) that I can no longer tolerate. My best advice is listen to your body. If it says DON'T, then don't try to force it to say YES.

#26 mamaupupup

mamaupupup

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

:) looking forward to hearing about the can lining.

...as another data point, I can't do anything with canola oil
...we LOVE tuna with avocado mash
...I also use soy-free vegenaise (from Whole Foods) and like it

Good luck!

#27 KikiB

KikiB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

If there is a corn sensitivity, it could be getting you in many ways. Fish are caught and put in a vat of corn based citric acid/water for the trip to land. Many 'tuna in water' really isn't 'water' but vegetable broth. Vegetable either being corn or soy. Then there is the can lining, as mentioned. But I would guess your mayo has corn also.
I personally have found that since going gluten-free I can eat some things that used to kill my gut. Like citrus no longer bothers me. But then there are things I seemed ok with before gluten-free (and CF) that I can no longer tolerate. My best advice is listen to your body. If it says DON'T, then don't try to force it to say YES.

...as another data point, I can't do anything with canola oil
...we LOVE tuna with avocado mash
...I also use soy-free vegenaise (from Whole Foods) and like it

Good luck!

Thanks!

#28 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,389 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Hi Kiki!

Not sure if I already posted this....I also cannot do canned tuna -- even packed in water -- due to intolerance to histamine containing and inducing foods.
-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAS

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile :)

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs - using Peer Reviewed Publications...

along with input from the best medical professionals you can find.

#29 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

How often do you have canned tuna?
Do you like other fish? Maybe try salmon or something else instead and see if you're ok. Tuna shouldn't be eaten very often because of the mercury levels. I only eat it on occasion (usually as good sushi) for that reason, and the overfishing, etc.
Also, unless you've contacted the company and asked, you don't know if the lining is BPA free or not. another reason to avoid canned anything unless you know it's BPA free.

So, try some different fish, but it's always better to get it fresh (though you can get canned wild-caught salmon).

Good luck!

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#30 Opa3

Opa3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

http://www.njit.edu/...10/2010-053.php ,see paragraph 6.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: