38 replies to this topic

#31 Qbuildgirl

Qbuildgirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

I made my own mayo without soy, and used it today with tuna. I'm super queasy. Could it be the tuna? Or the Canola oil?

I don't think I have a problem corn. I eat chicken tacos on corn tortillas without a problem...

Have you considered that it might be the actual can?  I have a severe nickel allergy as well as other things and nickel from the can leaches out into the food and causes severe stomach upset, a bit like being "Glutened" but more painful, the first time it happened was with canned salmon, I thought I had food poisening but Hubby had some and he was fine..I am also intolerant of some jewellery, so if you are too it might be something to consider...First post!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

It could be a histamine problem, tuna converts histidine to histamine if it's not fresh from the ocean, if you're sensitive as me that might be it

Hi Kiki!

Not sure if I already posted this....I also cannot do canned tuna -- even packed in water -- due to intolerance to histamine containing and inducing foods.

I have to echo these two. I also have a histamine intolerance (HIT) and canned fish and shellfish will cause symptoms. Fresh caught fish is

okay as it is lower in histamine..

In discussion with my GI doc last week, it can resolve in time after avoiding high histamine foods for several weeks, knocking down the level of histamine in your body and then trying small amounts to test your tolerance level. 

HIT occurs when the gut is impaired and the enzyme that regulates histamine (DAO) is not being produced.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#33 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

I have to echo these two. I also have a histamine intolerance (HIT) and canned fish and shellfish will cause symptoms. Fresh caught fish is

okay as it is lower in histamine..

In discussion with my GI doc last week, it can resolve in time after avoiding high histamine foods for several weeks, knocking down the level of histamine in your body and then trying small amounts to test your tolerance level. 

HIT occurs when the gut is impaired and the enzyme that regulates histamine (DAO) is not being produced.

In severe cases it can take some time -- I gave up histamines in late November -- still can't tolerate any histamine containing or histamine inducing foods.

I can however tolerate moderate exercise in a bit warmer temps than ever before :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#34 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

In severe cases it can take some time -- I gave up histamines in late November -- still can't tolerate any histamine containing or histamine inducing foods.

I can however tolerate moderate exercise in a bit warmer temps than ever before :)

:) Good point, Ski. I suspect it will take me months (Doc said give it 6 months) but the "average" person may be able to tolerate low levels

in 4 weeks (or so the  HIT lit says). Like anything else with celiac disease, this could be an  individual thing.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#35 whitepine

whitepine

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

Some tunas have broth in them and sometimes broths contain gluten in the form of barley or wheat. So you have to be careful not to get the ones that have broth in them because the indregients just say broth.

#36 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

Some tunas have broth in them and sometimes broths contain gluten in the form of barley or wheat. So you have to be careful not to get the ones that have broth in them because the indregients just say broth.

If there is wheat in a broth, the label must list WHEAT as an ingredient. I have never seen barley listed on a tuna can, but I suppose there

is always a first.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#37 gatita

gatita

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

First post!!!

Hey, welcome! :)

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

#38 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

Have you considered that it might be the actual can?  I have a severe nickel allergy as well as other things and nickel from the can leaches out into the food and causes severe stomach upset, a bit like being "Glutened" but more painful, the first time it happened was with canned salmon, I thought I had food poisening but Hubby had some and he was fine..I am also intolerant of some jewellery, so if you are too it might be something to consider...First post!!!

I missed this one....Thanks Gatita for noting.

Welcome to the forum Qbuildgirl :)

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#39 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

Yo Kiki...you still reading this thread?  How are you?

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: