This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Any New Jersey Celiac's Out There?

Sarahsmile416

Sarahsmile416 Apprentice

Hi!

I'm 31 years old and just joined the board. I have Type 1 Diabetes and am pre-diagnosis but will be having an endoscopy soon so hopefully will know more. My husband and I live in Middlesex County in NJ but I have recently moved to NJ and am looking for people like me to talk to. My husband has no food allergies or issues to speak of, so it's just me. Kind of gets isolating from time to time particularly when I'm dealing with symptoms that people may be able to sympathize with but cannot truly empathize because they have no similar issues. Would just be good to talk to someone while I am waiting for more information...

• 4 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Opa3 Apprentice

Hi!

I'm 31 years old and just joined the board. I have Type 1 Diabetes and am pre-diagnosis but will be having an endoscopy soon so hopefully will know more. My husband and I live in Middlesex County in NJ but I have recently moved to NJ and am looking for people like me to talk to. My husband has no food allergies or issues to speak of, so it's just me. Kind of gets isolating from time to time particularly when I'm dealing with symptoms that people may be able to sympathize with but cannot truly empathize because they have no similar issues. Would just be good to talk to someone while I am waiting for more information...

Hi Sarah

I live in Middlesex County. I suggest you read the following books:

"Real Life With Celiac Disease" by Melinda Dennis & Daniel Leffler.

"The Inside Tract" by Gerard Mullin & Kathie M. Swift.

I've been a Celiac patient since Oct.,1983. Since 2007, got IBS, GERD, Diverticulosis. and now (2012) I'm pre-diabetic. Gee, all these food restrictions are very confusing. Gotta eat something!! Still living!! Still learning!! You'll be OK. My wife thrives on a GFD and takes good care me accordingly.

What do you want to talk about, public or privately(send me a PM)?

• 2 weeks later...
LauraB0927 Apprentice

I'm in Union County, NJ - right next to you - I have some great recommendations for places to go!! Would love to talk! Feel free to message me anytime!!

Opa3 Apprentice

Laura,

I noticed in your personal notes: "acid reflux/GERD (stopped since eating gluten-free").

Im gluten-free and still have issues with AR/GERD. In your diet, do do also avoid foods like citrus, fatty/fried, spicy, mint, vinegar, caffeine, alcohol, chocolate, and tomato sauce?

LauraB0927 Apprentice

Laura,

I noticed in your personal notes: "acid reflux/GERD (stopped since eating gluten-free").

Im gluten-free and still have issues with AR/GERD. In your diet, do do also avoid foods like citrus, fatty/fried, spicy, mint, vinegar, caffeine, alcohol, chocolate, and tomato sauce?

Hey Opa!

I haven't been actively avoiding those foods, but as a nursing student I know that I should be! The only thing that I notice now is that if I go overboard with citrus type drinks (like frozen fruity alcoholic beverages) then I will get a bit of pain and reflux. I used to be uncomfortable all the time but since going gluten free I noticed that most of it went away. Now when I get glutened, it comes right back again! Have you discussed your symptoms with your doc? They can prescribe some different types of medications if you're feeling very uncomfortable...

Opa3 Apprentice

Hey Opa!

............, but as a nursing student I know that I should be! ......... I go overboard with citrus type drinks (like frozen fruity alcoholic beverages) then I will get a bit of pain and reflux. t away. Now when I get glutened, it comes right back again! Have you discussed your symptoms with your doc? They can prescribe some different types of medications if you're feeling very uncomfortable...

Me too, I went "overboard" with chocolate and balsam vineagrette. My GI Doc put me on Omeprazole, 40mg/1daily. It's starting to help.

He told me to take 1/day for the REST OF MY LIFE. :unsure: I read that is not good therapy to take long term. To much PPI's can cause an overgrowth of clostridium difficle and other bad bugs in the stomach and small intestines. Other things like pneumonia, hip fractures, malabsorption of vitamins & minerals. As a student nurse, what do think?

My best wishes for nursing school and good health to you.

anonymous-123 Rookie

I haven't been officially diagnosed with anything yet, but I believe I have some sort of intolerance. I'm seeing my doctor on Tuesday. But anyway, I am located in Northern NJ.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sarahsmile416 Apprentice

Hi!

What are of Northern NJ are you in?

Good luck with the doctor! Hope you get a much better answer than I did! :)

anonymous-123 Rookie

Hi!

What are of Northern NJ are you in?

Good luck with the doctor! Hope you get a much better answer than I did! :)

Hi....I am in Sussex County, NJ. Thanks, I hope so too. Doctors seem to blow off my symptoms for the past two years. Hope they can figure out what is going on with you and give you the help you need.

Sarahsmile416 Apprentice

Wow, you are way up there!

I hear you on ignoring symptoms! That is the story of my life! I was telling people for 8 months I thought I had diabetes and no one listened to me until a routine blood test showed I had a blood sugar of 420 and an A1C of 14.3. Now, they are not listening to me for other reasons...if you find a good doctor, hold on to them! They are few and far between that's for sure!! I am still holding out hope of finding a better doc.

Opa3 Apprentice

......... I had a blood sugar of 420 and an A1C of 14.3.

At 420, what symptoms do you have?

I'm not diabetic, and my highest was 168mg/dL. I ate 160 grams of sugary foods that day and I got very dizzy after dinner with the room spinning. With me, it's sugar spikes. When I feel crummy, I check myself with a glucose meter.

How do your numbers run on a typical day as opposed to one lab result?

I do hope you find a likeable Doc.

Sarahsmile416 Apprentice

Well, remember this was probably almost four years ago, but I had the classic symptoms- I was thirsty all the time - could never get enough to drink (my sister, a nurse, told me it was be because I drank too much caffeine), I was always hungry but was down to about 90 pounds at time of DX...and at that point, I had the beginnings of neuropathy in my feet and fevers on and off - I couldn't stay well.

On a typical day, my average blood sugar is probably 150 or so...my A1C at my last visit was 6.7 (and that was up from before). Although I have notice that when I have a food intolerance response, my blood sugar tends to go up and I have some trouble getting it down again

Opa3 Apprentice

On a typical day, my average blood sugar is probably 150 or so...my A1C at my last visit was 6.7 (and that was up from before). Although I have notice that when I have a food intolerance response, my blood sugar tends to go up and I have some trouble getting it down again

My last A1c(11/2012) was 6.0 (range: 4.8-5.6%). Optimal is less than 7.0%. Blood glucose was 108 (lab,range: 65-99 mg/dL).

One typical day, my numbers were 99, 92, 95, 99, 87, 90 with home glucose meter. If I add 14 points( the difference between home/lab results) to each value, it supports the lab result of 108. Consumed only 30 grams sugar. Cann't get mine down either. My PCP said to go sugarless. Are you?

You might consider using cinnamon, if you can tolerate spices. It is known to maintain a healthy blood sugar level. I would try cinnamon but need to err the side of caution since I

have AR/GERD. Spices, caffeine, etc need to be avoided. When my peptic duodenitis heals up, I might try this out on a limited basis. If fasting (am) blood glucose drops to 70, perhaps I'll feel better too. Dry mouth always.

Sarahsmile416 Apprentice

Those are very good blood sugars! I will tell you, if that was an average day for me, I would be ecstatic...but I also suspect that that is why I'm diabetic, haha! For example, my waking blood sugar was 207...then 185...then 224...,then 145 before lunch. I will say this is a higher day than most...I have an insulin pump and I need to change the site soon.

I have heard from so many people regarding cinnamon...and I love cinnamon but I'm not sure yet how my blood sugar reacts to it...I need to do a little more research.

A fasting blood sugar below 70 makes me shaky and miserable, lol...now if I wake up at 90, I am very happy :)

Sarahsmile416 Apprentice

I do not go sugarless, Opa. My endocrinologist has always preached not to avoid foods because by avoiding foods, you will naturally be more drawn to those foods and may be prone to overindulge. That being said, I am not a sugar-a-holic, never have been. What I am trying to do lately is go low-carb...and that has led to good results for me. I am trying to get tighter control right now..,

Opa3 Apprentice

............and that has led to good results for me. I am trying to get tighter control right now..,

Make progress, become well and stay well.

LauraB0927 Apprentice

Me too, I went "overboard" with chocolate and balsam vineagrette. My GI Doc put me on Omeprazole, 40mg/1daily. It's starting to help.

He told me to take 1/day for the REST OF MY LIFE. :unsure: I read that is not good therapy to take long term. To much PPI's can cause an overgrowth of clostridium difficle and other bad bugs in the stomach and small intestines. Other things like pneumonia, hip fractures, malabsorption of vitamins & minerals. As a student nurse, what do think?

My best wishes for nursing school and good health to you.

While I know PPI's are effective, you definitely dont want to go developing c-diff. I've seen some cases of that in the hospital and it gets pretty nasty. Not sure if this will work, but maybe talk to your doctor about taking extra probiotics to help maintain the healthy flora in the intestines? C-diff develops when antibiotics or PPI's kill all of the bacteria in the intestines. Its possible that as you keep going gluten free, avoid those problem foods, dont eat right before you go to bed, you may be able to wean yourself off of the PPI's and just use those natural preventative measures. I hope you feel better!!

anonymous-123 Rookie

Wow, you are way up there!

I hear you on ignoring symptoms! That is the story of my life! I was telling people for 8 months I thought I had diabetes and no one listened to me until a routine blood test showed I had a blood sugar of 420 and an A1C of 14.3. Now, they are not listening to me for other reasons...if you find a good doctor, hold on to them! They are few and far between that's for sure!! I am still holding out hope of finding a better doc.

Yes, I am way up there....lol! I'm sorry to hear that you went through all that. I understand your frustration. I've been complaining for two years about being allergic to almost everything and now it's foods upsetting my tummy. my body is sensitive it seems like to everything. anyway, i went to the dr today and explained my symptoms to him and i didn't even mention celiac and he did to my surprise! he said he was going to run bloodword to test for it. i'm not sure how accurate that is though?

Opa3 Apprentice

........Not sure if this will work, but maybe talk to your doctor about taking extra probiotics to help maintain the healthy flora in the intestines? C-diff develops when antibiotics or PPI's kill all of the bacteria in the intestines.

I am going to ask the Doc to cut back Rx to 20mg/day(from 40). Its to strong, stomach ache.

Something Doctor's never tell you is that long term therapy(20mg/day) with omeprazole will also develop fundic gland polyps within 1-5 years. Two years avg. Ref: Am J Gastroenterol 1997 Oct, 92(10); 1858-60.

The patient information leaflet (Mylan Pharma) does not list fundic gland polyps as a long term side effect either. Just possible fractures of the hip,wrist, or spine.

I've been using PPI's for five years (off/on) and my recent pathology report(Dec,2012) did note "early feature of fundic gland polyps" found.

I will definately wean myself off this Rx. asap.

Loey Rising Star

Hi!

Hi Sarah,

Welcome to our wonderful Forum! I lived in NJ my entire life and moved to RI 4 years ago. I'll be in NJ this Saturday throwing a BD party for my DH & DS. I'm copying and pasting information on the party on the off chance that you and your hubby would like to join us. It's right outside of Princeton so it's about a half hour from you. I'd love to meet you. This Forum has been a life saver for me and the people I've met here are family to me. Here's the copy & paste:

Here's the C&P:<p>

Just wanted to let you know that the party is still on for Sat, 1/19 at 1PM. Below is site with directions.

Open Original Shared Link

I have a dedicated gluten-free Zone set up. They have great gluten-free pizza & pasta. I'm crossing everything that you'll be able to make it. Since it's a buffet you can come as early and stay as late as you want. So far I'll be wearing fuchsia.

Much love,

Loey

P.S. For those of you who are lucky enough not to suffer from Celiac please keep all dishes, etc that contain gluten away from the designated Gluten Free Buffet. Thanks!!!! Cake is NOT gluten-free. :-(

Also, anyone else up for the drive please try and make it - I'd love to meet you.

Loey

Sarahsmile416 Apprentice

Thanks so much for the invite, Loey!! I certainly appreciate the thought! Wish I could come but the little girl I take care of is having a BD party the same day and I promised her I would come! Sorry to miss it though :(

Sarahsmile416 Apprentice

Out of curiosity, where in RI do you live? I know of some folks near URI...

Loey Rising Star

Out of curiosity, where in RI do you live? I know of some folks near URI...

Westerly. Right on the Connecticut border. Watch Hill is part of our community. We're in a nice development but no mansions.We're about 30 minutes from URI. My welcome mat is dusted off if you ever get up this way (or want to).

Loey

Archived