22 replies to this topic

#16 Opa3

Opa3

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

............and that has led to good results for me. I am trying to get tighter control right now..,

Make progress, become well and stay well.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

Me too, I went "overboard" with chocolate and balsam vineagrette. My GI Doc put me on Omeprazole, 40mg/1daily. It's starting to help.
He told me to take 1/day for the REST OF MY LIFE. :unsure: I read that is not good therapy to take long term. To much PPI's can cause an overgrowth of clostridium difficle and other bad bugs in the stomach and small intestines. Other things like pneumonia, hip fractures, malabsorption of vitamins & minerals. As a student nurse, what do think?

My best wishes for nursing school and good health to you.

While I know PPI's are effective, you definitely dont want to go developing c-diff. I've seen some cases of that in the hospital and it gets pretty nasty. Not sure if this will work, but maybe talk to your doctor about taking extra probiotics to help maintain the healthy flora in the intestines? C-diff develops when antibiotics or PPI's kill all of the bacteria in the intestines. Its possible that as you keep going gluten free, avoid those problem foods, dont eat right before you go to bed, you may be able to wean yourself off of the PPI's and just use those natural preventative measures. I hope you feel better!!

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead ahead - soon we must all face the choice, to do what is right, or what is easy..." - Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)

Diagnosed Celiac in May 2012 by TTG level and endoscopy
Acid reflux/GERD (stopped since eating gluten-free)
Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

#18 anonymous_123

anonymous_123

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

Wow, you are way up there!

I hear you on ignoring symptoms! That is the story of my life! I was telling people for 8 months I thought I had diabetes and no one listened to me until a routine blood test showed I had a blood sugar of 420 and an A1C of 14.3. Now, they are not listening to me for other reasons...if you find a good doctor, hold on to them! They are few and far between that's for sure!! I am still holding out hope of finding a better doc.

Yes, I am way up there....lol! I'm sorry to hear that you went through all that. I understand your frustration. I've been complaining for two years about being allergic to almost everything and now it's foods upsetting my tummy. my body is sensitive it seems like to everything. anyway, i went to the dr today and explained my symptoms to him and i didn't even mention celiac and he did to my surprise! he said he was going to run bloodword to test for it. i'm not sure how accurate that is though?

#19 Opa3

Opa3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

........Not sure if this will work, but maybe talk to your doctor about taking extra probiotics to help maintain the healthy flora in the intestines? C-diff develops when antibiotics or PPI's kill all of the bacteria in the intestines.

I am going to ask the Doc to cut back Rx to 20mg/day(from 40). Its to strong, stomach ache.
Something Doctor's never tell you is that long term therapy(20mg/day) with omeprazole will also develop fundic gland polyps within 1-5 years. Two years avg. Ref: Am J Gastroenterol 1997 Oct, 92(10); 1858-60.
The patient information leaflet (Mylan Pharma) does not list fundic gland polyps as a long term side effect either. Just possible fractures of the hip,wrist, or spine.
I've been using PPI's for five years (off/on) and my recent pathology report(Dec,2012) did note "early feature of fundic gland polyps" found.
I will definately wean myself off this Rx. asap.

#20 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

Hi!

I'm 31 years old and just joined the board. I have Type 1 Diabetes and am pre-diagnosis but will be having an endoscopy soon so hopefully will know more. My husband and I live in Middlesex County in NJ but I have recently moved to NJ and am looking for people like me to talk to. My husband has no food allergies or issues to speak of, so it's just me. Kind of gets isolating from time to time particularly when I'm dealing with symptoms that people may be able to sympathize with but cannot truly empathize because they have no similar issues. Would just be good to talk to someone while I am waiting for more information...

Hi Sarah,

Welcome to our wonderful Forum! I lived in NJ my entire life and moved to RI 4 years ago. I'll be in NJ this Saturday throwing a BD party for my DH & DS. I'm copying and pasting information on the party on the off chance that you and your hubby would like to join us. It's right outside of Princeton so it's about a half hour from you. I'd love to meet you. This Forum has been a life saver for me and the people I've met here are family to me. Here's the copy & paste:

Here's the C&P:<p>
Just wanted to let you know that the party is still on for Sat, 1/19 at 1PM. Below is site with directions.

http://romeosplainsboro.com

I have a dedicated gluten-free Zone set up. They have great gluten-free pizza & pasta. I'm crossing everything that you'll be able to make it. Since it's a buffet you can come as early and stay as late as you want. So far I'll be wearing fuchsia.

Much love,
Loey

P.S. For those of you who are lucky enough not to suffer from Celiac please keep all dishes, etc that contain gluten away from the designated Gluten Free Buffet. Thanks!!!! Cake is NOT gluten-free. :-(

Also, anyone else up for the drive please try and make it - I'd love to meet you.

Loey

#21 Sarahsmile416

Sarahsmile416

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

Thanks so much for the invite, Loey!! I certainly appreciate the thought! Wish I could come but the little girl I take care of is having a BD party the same day and I promised her I would come! Sorry to miss it though :(

#22 Sarahsmile416

Sarahsmile416

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

Out of curiosity, where in RI do you live? I know of some folks near URI...

#23 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

Out of curiosity, where in RI do you live? I know of some folks near URI...

Westerly. Right on the Connecticut border. Watch Hill is part of our community. We're in a nice development but no mansions.We're about 30 minutes from URI. My welcome mat is dusted off if you ever get up this way (or want to).

Loey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: