12 replies to this topic

#1 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

I am STILL suffering from the glutening I got from the cookie crumbs. My gut is OK, my psoriasis has quieted down, but whenever my jaw pain and swelling flares up, it lasts for three or four weeks.

I am in SO much pain right now. This morning when I got up I was really grumpy. I'm so TIRED of hurting!

But I picked up my banjo and started playing Christmas music on it. My banjo is so much fun! I swear, even though I have some incredibly expensive guitars, if there were a fire, I'd grab the banjo first. So as grumpy and full of pain as I was this morning, that banjo not only had me smiling, but I was giggling!

What do you do to distract yourself when you're feeling bad?

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

Take a hot soak in the tub, drink lots of liquids (especially peppermint tea), listen to music, read, play stupid computer games, exercise, wish I could play banjo. Sometimes I color designs with colored pencils or research weird things on a search engine, like how to make hand sewn curtains. I have little intenton of making curtains, but it was amazing to see the results.

Anything to get my mind off of "it" and on to what's next.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#3 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

OH! I forgot all about colored pencils! I used to love to draw cartoonish pictures with colored pencils. I have a bunch of them stuffed away in a drawer somewhere. I'll have to dig them out and start using them again.

When I was married, we used to wrap all Christmas presents in plain white paper and then do funny Christmas cartoons on the paper. My niece still has one I did for her of Peter Rabbit in a Santa hat carrying a stocking full of carrots. She was a little kid then, and she's in college now!

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#4 Chaff

Chaff

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

Sigh. Wine. Wine and baths.

Doesn't work at the office, though. Then it's artisinal tea (www.teance.com is my source) and praying that no one comes over to talk to me, or if they do that I can pretend to be a normal person long enough until they go away.

celiac, hypothyroid, hereditary hemochromatosis

#5 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

I'm a WoW addict. WoW being World of Warcraft. It is a great way to keep my mind off of what ails me. When you're busy saving the world from dragons, there is little time for feeling like crap. What can I say? I'm a dork.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#6 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

I see i'm not the only gamer :) though i'd rather do systems over computer games.

#7 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:05 PM

I do own a Wii, which is like the red-headed step child of game systems, I know. But, Kirby's Epic Yarn. Between being Zelda fans and frankly not personally being a fps fan we've just never gotten another system. (We're just too poor to own more than one I guess.) I also love Steam sales, it is really the only time I get new games. The holiday sales and such is when I get my presents in game form and try new things. To be honest though, it was Blizzard that got me hooked and nearly two decades later here I am still a Blizzard girl. My game time is pretty evenly distributed between WoW and Diablo 3. Whatever brings on the endless slaughter of bad guys. :D

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#8 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

mmm i've got a wii (its blue <3) and a few other systems. I can certainly understand that. I rarely get new games anymore (currently doing my Majora's mask run on the wii virtual console, if i can ever get my homework done), but when i do i try to find rare rpgs. Mainly ps2, gamecube, and wii ones. Until my other system gets more games (ps3) that i adore, i won't upgrade its library. I do handhelds as well. I may start getting older generation ones (ps1 and NES games), but we'll see.

I do play on the computer for things like roller coaster tycoon. But as it stands right now, my computer is dedicated to schoolwork.

#9 kristenloeh

kristenloeh

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:06 AM

I play a lot of Yahtzee and watch a lot of bad tv. I was glutened last night, so that's what I've been doing all day. May get the strength to make some soy vanilla chai in a bit though :)

Diagnosed Celiac 04.2012
Gluten-Free 04.2012

Diagnosed Pituitary Prolactinoma 12.2012

Low Cortisol/Possible Addison's Disease 02.2013

Maybe one day I will feel "normal" again. <3

#10 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:49 AM

I just try to act normal and get my school, housework, and caring for children done.

#11 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:59 AM

Bad tv for me too, if I am up. If I am in bed I listen to BBC Radio 4, which is talking, news, plays. It helps me feel a bit more connected.

Small kids mean I have to keep going. And the cat that wants to sleep on my head.

I used to have coloring books, adult ones like tiffany stained glass, Celtic knot work, but my kids pinched those :) fairies and tractors don't do it for me quite the same.

I don't do computer games because I was horribly addicted in my 20s :o would do if I didn't get woken at 6 every morning.

Chatting to friends by phone.

Popping in here to keep sane ;)

Get well soon, enjoy kitty cuddles x
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#12 srall

srall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:20 AM

I got glutened over TG and am still suffering. Usually it seems like it only takes 3 to 5 days but this is a doozy. It's like fibromyalgia pain and fatigue....oh and a pinched nerve on top of it.
So, the upshot is since I am a SAHM and my family is fairly sympathetic I've been watching a lot of t.v. and going to bed around 7:30 at night. This is coming to an end as Christmas is looming and my house is wrecked. I've made a ton of green drinks, I'm eating paleo and only what I cook. I did eat at PF Chang's one time, but other than that I feed myself. Lots of water, magnesium, fish oil, d3, B complex...and a few nights with codeine left over from my gluteny past where this happened all the time.
Hope you feel better soon...I'm getting there.

Oh yes...more time on this board too getting some support :)

#13 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:05 PM

OH! I forgot all about colored pencils! I used to love to draw cartoonish pictures with colored pencils. I have a bunch of them stuffed away in a drawer somewhere. I'll have to dig them out and start using them again.

When I was married, we used to wrap all Christmas presents in plain white paper and then do funny Christmas cartoons on the paper. My niece still has one I did for her of Peter Rabbit in a Santa hat carrying a stocking full of carrots. She was a little kid then, and she's in college now!

I find coloring very therepeutic. I tried knitting after I read a study that women achieve about the same biorythmic patterns from knitting as they do from Yoga (sorry, monitors, I can't attribute the source). Knitting exasperated me. I kept dropping stitches. And once the yarn was cut in the middle of a skein! (Kind of like breaking a guitar sting in the middle of a good lick maybe?)
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: