32 replies to this topic

#1 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

I'm not a big fan of left overs, so I froze most of what was left over from Thanksgiving.

According to what I've read, you can only freeze the left overs for a month, and that's going to be appoximately when we do our akkkkk CHRISTMAS turkey.

I made tostados with refried black beans tonight, have done turkey hash.

I do tend to pinch a penny, but I'm considering throwing it all out and starting new.

Any suggestions?
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:22 AM

I'm not a big fan of left overs, so I froze most of what was left over from Thanksgiving.

According to what I've read, you can only freeze the left overs for a month, and that's going to be appoximately when we do our akkkkk CHRISTMAS turkey.

I made tostados with refried black beans tonight, have done turkey hash.

I do tend to pinch a penny, but I'm considering throwing it all out and starting new.

Any suggestions?

Marilyn, I freeze leftovers for over a month and they're fine (depending on what they are, of course)

How about turkey tetrazzini made with gluten-free pasta or adding the leftover turkey to soup?
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#3 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:09 AM

Turkey salad sandwiches
Chop and put into spaghetti
Turkey soup, add to chicken soup, add to black bean soup
Mix up with taco seasoning for tacos
Turkey lasagna

I'm not a huge fan of turkey so I tend to use the leftovers in a way that doesn't make them taste like turkey.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#4 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:19 AM

I am sooo sick of turkey! We have been eating it as is but cut into small pieces and mixed with some boxed gluten-free gravy over some stuffing that is mostly mushrooms, celery and onion with a small amount of bread and some olive oil, Nucoa and turkey broth. We did like it for a while but both my daughter and I went on overkill I think and we'd both be happy if we didn't see it again until next year!

When I was a kid, my mom would make turkey soup. I never liked that. Chicken soup, fine. Turkey? Not so much.

My dad would make it into a salad buy chopping it up and mixing it with halved purple grapes, walnuts and mayo. That was okay but again I would have preferred chicken.

One thing that my daughter and I used to eat a lot of was cooked, chopped up turkey mixed in the same boxed gravy and served over mashed potatoes. She is on the South Beach diet now and mashed potatoes are not on that. So, that doesn't work for me.

I gather that you can use it in any sort of recipe in place of other meats. We just don't like it that way. Tried a pizza one year many years back. Called for a Boboli but any gluten-free crust would do. Spread with cranberry sauce then top with Swiss cheese and your turkey. Bake like you would a regular pizza. It was Rachael Ray's recipe but none of us liked it.

#5 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:01 AM

soup, salads, pastas, cassoroles, it can be substituted for just about any chicken dish.

#6 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:06 AM

Enchiladas - we have a super yummy green sauce that I keep adapting as our intolerances increase.

What are your don't eat foods?

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#7 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

I like making turkey rice soup the same way I would make chicken rice soup. I make my own stock after I pick the turkey more or less clean and then can the turkey and stock so I can make soup year round whenever I want.

I also love making pizza. (Or used to anyway.) The possibilities are pretty endless, but I used cranberry sauce, turkey, whatever cheese I happened to have around the house and whatever else I thought might be good on it that was leftover.

I do really love turkey and I will probably pick up another while they are so readily available for the holidays but I won't cook it for Christmas. I know I shouldn't, but frankly it isn't Christmas without a ham. I'll just watch how much of it I eat.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#8 peeptoad

peeptoad

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

My mom made a stir-fry with some of her leftover turkey and it came out really good (and was very different from typical Thanksgiving dinner/leftovers, so a welcome change). The beauty of this is you can throw in whatever vegetables you like that would taste good ina stir fry.

turkey (she used only dark meat)
snow peas
mushrooms
scallions or onions
peanuts

sauce:
mirin
gluten-free soy sauce
rice wine vinegar
maybe a little garlic (can't recall)

rice

#9 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

Turkey salad sandwiches
Chop and put into spaghetti
Turkey soup, add to chicken soup, add to black bean soup
Mix up with taco seasoning for tacos
Turkey lasagna

I'm not a huge fan of turkey so I tend to use the leftovers in a way that doesn't make them taste like turkey.

I hear ya! This is the first year I've eaten turkey since I scored a "4" on turkey with allergy testing a few years ago. Turkey was 59 cents a pound the the grocery store that normally rips you off, so we bought 2 small ones. I haven't noticed any allergic reactions, but I basically don't like turkey, which makes leftovers problematic.

Well, I have been itchier and bossier, now that I think of it.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#10 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

Enchiladas - we have a super yummy green sauce that I keep adapting as our intolerances increase.

What are your don't eat foods?

For the moment, quinoa and whole corn. I seem to be tolerating corn chips, corn starch, blah blah blah ok, but if I roast an ear of corn or stick whole kernal corn in something, my digestive system turns gonzo.

Thanks, Lisa.

#11 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

My mom made a stir-fry with some of her leftover turkey and it came out really good (and was very different from typical Thanksgiving dinner/leftovers, so a welcome change). The beauty of this is you can throw in whatever vegetables you like that would taste good ina stir fry.

turkey (she used only dark meat)
snow peas
mushrooms
scallions or onions
peanuts

sauce:
mirin
gluten-free soy sauce
rice wine vinegar
maybe a little garlic (can't recall)

rice

That sounds good!

Do you mind shipping Mom down here until I survive my leftover turkey crisis? :huh:

#12 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,124 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

My older son was home from college and put turkey on nachos, pizza and burgers.

I like it with cranberry sauce ( the canned jello kind) on it. Or cheddar cheese melted on it.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#13 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

I am sooo sick of turkey! We have been eating it as is but cut into small pieces and mixed with some boxed gluten-free gravy over some stuffing that is mostly mushrooms, celery and onion with a small amount of bread and some olive oil, Nucoa and turkey broth. We did like it for a while but both my daughter and I went on overkill I think and we'd both be happy if we didn't see it again until next year!

When I was a kid, my mom would make turkey soup. I never liked that. Chicken soup, fine. Turkey? Not so much.

My dad would make it into a salad buy chopping it up and mixing it with halved purple grapes, walnuts and mayo. That was okay but again I would have preferred chicken.

One thing that my daughter and I used to eat a lot of was cooked, chopped up turkey mixed in the same boxed gravy and served over mashed potatoes. She is on the South Beach diet now and mashed potatoes are not on that. So, that doesn't work for me.

I gather that you can use it in any sort of recipe in place of other meats. We just don't like it that way. Tried a pizza one year many years back. Called for a Boboli but any gluten-free crust would do. Spread with cranberry sauce then top with Swiss cheese and your turkey. Bake like you would a regular pizza. It was Rachael Ray's recipe but none of us liked it.

Julie, I reckon we're birds of a feather.

Thank's for warning me about R Ray's bad pizza recipe!

#14 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

My older son was home from college and put turkey on nachos, pizza and burgers.

I like it with cranberry sauce ( the canned jello kind) on it. Or cheddar cheese melted on it.

Sorry KarenG, nothing personal, I love the bitts out of you, but frankly, I think your son has better taste. (Triple decker sorry A LOT! )

:D :wub: :D :)

#15 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

I like making turkey rice soup the same way I would make chicken rice soup. I make my own stock after I pick the turkey more or less clean and then can the turkey and stock so I can make soup year round whenever I want.

I also love making pizza. (Or used to anyway.) The possibilities are pretty endless, but I used cranberry sauce, turkey, whatever cheese I happened to have around the house and whatever else I thought might be good on it that was leftover.

I do really love turkey and I will probably pick up another while they are so readily available for the holidays but I won't cook it for Christmas. I know I shouldn't, but frankly it isn't Christmas without a ham. I'll just watch how much of it I eat.

Thanks for your suggestions. Have you tried Chebe for pizza crusts yet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: