This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Nocturnal (Nighttime) Diarrhea And Nausea

ABQ-Celiac

ABQ-Celiac Rookie

I'm a 52 year old white male.

After several months of nausea and occasional diarrhea, I had two >225 antibody tests. At the suggestion of my doctors went gluten free. I was better right away. Instead of having 6-7 bad days a week, I was done to 1-2.

I'm quite careful about avoiding gluten and mostly make all of my food at home. But I still have occasional nocturnal diarrhea. It's almost always between midnight and 3:30 am. I wake up with a rumbling stomach and nausea, and then I have diarrhea, very soft stool, sometimes mucous, etc.

It's exhausting, as many of you know. I live in a state with poor medical care, and don't have my next appointment with a GI until mid February. Does anyone have any insight? I'm new on this site, but have learned much from so many of you already. This place has been a real life line for me in making these adjustments.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

I'm a 52 year old white male.

After several months of nausea and occasional diarrhea, I had two >225 antibody tests. At the suggestion of my doctors went gluten free. I was better right away. Instead of having 6-7 bad days a week, I was done to 1-2.

I'm quite careful about avoiding gluten and mostly make all of my food at home. But I still have occasional nocturnal diarrhea. It's almost always between midnight and 3:30 am. I wake up with a rumbling stomach and nausea, and then I have diarrhea, very soft stool, sometimes mucous, etc.

It's exhausting, as many of you know. I live in a state with poor medical care, and don't have my next appointment with a GI until mid February. Does anyone have any insight? I'm new on this site, but have learned much from so many of you already. This place has been a real life line for me in making these adjustments.

Welcome! I am a 53 year white female so maybe I can help! ;)

Nocturnal diarrhea is very indicative of gluten but it may be that you have additional food issues that are causing this. Have you tried eliminating dairy? Many Celiacs have trouble with dairy in the beginning because the enzyme used to break down lactose is produced in the tips of the villi and when those villi are blunted or gone, you cannot digest milk products. I still have to eat dairy light after almost 8 years gluten-free. I went too long without a Celiac diagnosis so when it happened, I think my gut was just too compromised. Some people get their ability to digest milk back, others do not. This is extremely common so when people complain of stubborn symptoms not going away entirely, you look first at dairy. I know, not something many want to hear but it isn't always forever. Either that, or you are inadvertantly ingesting small amounts of gluten somewhere and it's still causing you grief. This diet takes a while to nail down completely. I know how exhausting it is because that was my main issue when I got really sick...nocturnal diarrhea. Sleep is totally disrupted.

How long have you been gluten-free?

ABQ-Celiac Rookie

Have you tried eliminating dairy?

How long have you been gluten-free?

Thanks for your reply. I've been gluten free for 8 weeks and I've been off diary for the same amount of time. (Before my diagnosis I was getting ill from milk and ice cream especially.)

Continued good luck to you!

kareng Grand Master

As an "older" diagnosed Celiac, It takes a lot longer than 8 weeks to get everything healed and back on track. It could be something else you are eating, like a really cheesy dinner with ice cream or maybe you just need more time.

Whoopes! Just saw you are off dairy, but you get the idea. In the beginning a lot of corn products would do that tp me, too. Corn Chex for breakfast, Corn chips at lunch and corn tortillas and frozen corn at dinner. You may find its something like that.

ABQ-Celiac Rookie

As an "older" diagnosed Celiac, It takes a lot longer than 8 weeks to get everything healed and back on track.

I appreciate your input! I am keeping a good food diary and indeed too much fiber makes me worse, too much fruit, for example. Pork and beans is hard on my stomach. My go-to food is rice. It can be fixed a number of ways and it never seems to bug me. I love this forum. I've learned so much.

Gemini Experienced

I appreciate your input! I am keeping a good food diary and indeed too much fiber makes me worse, too much fruit, for example. Pork and beans is hard on my stomach. My go-to food is rice. It can be fixed a number of ways and it never seems to bug me. I love this forum. I've learned so much.

Yeah.....2 months is not very long and other foods, even gluten-free ones, will cause grief at times. I still, after 8 years, have bad days when I eat something that is harder to digest like a greasier meal or heavier foods. We just have very sensitive tummies and probably always will but it does get much, much better the longer you are gluten free. Just keep it plain and simple for awhile and add things back in slowly.

L.J. Rookie

Welcome ABQ! I too am sensitive to many foods--and have a short list that I can eat. After a bit of time--my tummy problems got much better, but it took awhile. I found that I was still eating foods that I shouldn't be, and that as I get better at knowing the "good foods" for me--my tum does much better. I agree that we all seem to be quite "sensitive" souls with equally sensitive bodies! :D

Keep checking in regularly here--You will find *amazing* support, advice, and some laughs (which we all need too) as well!

Welcome again! :lol: :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived