7 replies to this topic

#1 Quincypp

Quincypp

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:58 PM

I am so mad at myself. I was in a meeting with my boss and my phone rang - of course it was the dr calling me back. She said the blood tests came back negative for celiac - however the best way to diagnose is biopsy doing an edoscopy (which i had done last year but not checked for celiac - i don't htink they did any biopsy of the intestine. Also I haven't really been digesting a lot of gluten since on the atkins diet. She was surprised the iron infusion she gave me didn't give me a "big boost" of energy. I said yeah i feel a little better but its not like I suddenly feel great. I asked if i would be getting any more iron and she said no the dosage she gave me will bump up my hemaglobin to 140 and thats enough - i was at 128. However I thought the point of the iron was to get my iron and iron stores up which were both at 5. Anyway the reason I'm mad is cause I didn't ask her my questions - guess I was caught off guard with calling while i was with my boss. I also didn't say much to her - i was like a deer in the headlights! So i go back on March 1 for my follow up. She wants a copy of my last endoscope and a celiac disease copy of the actual gallium scan that came up positive for inflammation in my marrow - not the summary but the actual test so it can have a second opinion. I do see my family dr in January i will talk to him too - he also said if i wasn't consuming gluten it could come back negative. I wanted to ask for a copy of the blood results but forgot - so will call back to get a copy faxed to me - so I can see what she tested for. i did ask how long for the folate to kick in (I am on supplements) she said that would take a month - so i might just have the double whamny of o low iron and low folate causing the fatigue. Mind you - still don't know why i have such low values since my diet is very rich in both. I also wanted to ask to test my other vitamin levels to see if any other levels are low. Guess just more waiting.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:41 PM

Call back with your questions!
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:28 AM

Yes, call back :)
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#4 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,927 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:10 AM

Yes. You need to call back and get more tests done.

It is possible you have Celiac disease. (You may not have consumed enough gluten before testing.) You could opt for genetic testing (not a perfect test either, you can have the 2% known miss rate, human error rate for blood test is 30%, so don't fully believe the 99% accurate statistic) It is possible you have Celiac and another related disorder.

Severe anemia will land you in the hospital pretty quick. I don't think you should put off any further testing for causes. (i.e. Pernicious anemia)
Michigan

#5 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

...human error rate for blood test is 30%, so don't fully believe the 99% accurate statistic

Human error rate?? :huh:
I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean & can't think of any way it makes sense. Is it saying that lab techs are inept, spilling/contaminating samples or losing vials?

I just keep saying "human error rate" in my head, thinking maybe some way to interpret it will percolate forward.

30% is literally an unbelievable number & I'm extremely curious about the details & where it came from, if you don't mind.
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#6 peeptoad

peeptoad

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

The false-negative rate (maybe that's what mommida means) is about 25-30% and that's documented in a lot of medical literature...it's not really human error from what I understand, but just a diagnostic error for that particular lab test.

#7 Darkfire Ann

Darkfire Ann

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:22 AM

From what I understand Celiac and maybe even NCGI makes it harder for us to absorb iron. I am a red meat eating fool with a load of vitamin C to help it go down and still have to take iron pills to keep from cramping so bad I wake up screaming with leg cramps. Plus I load on Black Strap Molasses too.

#8 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:07 AM

I am waiting on the results of my genetic testing and I'd be really grateful if anyone has references on those figures.
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: