This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New Here With A Perogi Question?~

Maryann Boyle

Maryann Boyle Newbie

Hi - I have been lurking for awhile and have learned alot from this forum. I tested negative for celiac after bloodwork and endoscopy, but have IBS, Fibromyalgia and have been battling Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth for 3 years. Decided to go gluten free in July and feel so much better. My problems are not gone, but more tolerable.

I was hoping for some recommendations. Our family tradition for xmas is to make hundreds of yummy perogi's and I look forward every year to eating tons of them!! However, sadly that cannot happen for me now. I have found dough recipe's online, but was wondering if anyone has tried buying gluten free perogi's and having them delivered and MOST IMPORTANT, having them taste good.

Thank you for any suggestions on what brands are worth trying. MaryAnn :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

I have tried a few commercial perogies and have not been satisfied with them at all. But it was the fillings, actually, that were so disappointing. The last ones I tried were so bland I could not even tell they contained Cheddar. I'd rather make my own. Hope you find a brand that you are happy with! :)

Juliebove Rising Star

I can not have eggs or dairy so I wasn't able to eat any of the pre-made ones I've seen. I made my own version using the large shells meant for stuffing. The rice pasta shells. I boiled them until just al dente then stuffed them with mashed potatoes. I used peeled russet potatoes that I had boiled in salted water. Then when I mashed them, I mashed in a goodly amount of sweet onions that I had diced and caramelized in some Nucoa. I added plenty of salt and pepper. I also caramelized a ton of sweet onion slices. These were placed in a layer in a baking dish. Then I stuffed the potatoes into the cooked shells and covered them with a layer of the onion slices. Cover, then bake until heated through.

Now if you can have dairy, by all means add cheese and use butter instead of margarine. My husband would eat this but he prefers his pierogies to be fried and I don't think these would work this way. But my daughter and I love this and feel that it tastes just like the real thing. I have also seen a casserole recipe that uses plain noodles layered with onions and mashed potatoes. But I haven't tried it.

I was once given a recipe for someone on a forum that is no longer there for a gluten-free pasta recipe that contains no eggs. She said it would work for ravioli or pierogi. I never got around to trying it and didn't save the recipe to my computer. And then the forum went *poof* I have never found such a recipe again.

Simona19 Collaborator

I don't know about the store bought pierogies, but I can maybe help you with my recipe. I'm from Slovakia, country under Poland, so pierogies are very important in my family.

http://www.celiac.co...-roasted-onion/ if you need, add more rice flour, 2 Tbsp. at the time. The size of eggs can make the dough moister than needed.

I made this recipe many times, it is perfect.

mamaw Community Regular

For ready made pierogi's a great one is DePuma's Pasta. John is a chef , his wife has celiac & he was a contestant on Iron Chef a few years ago..They are what you would find in a high-end restaurant.....expensive but excellent

Conte's is a good pierogi but nothing like De Puma's.........

hth..

Archived