21 replies to this topic

#1 HappyCat22

HappyCat22

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 07:23 PM

I was just curious what everyones symptoms were from Celiacs? Also, can anxiety be a symptom? Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2004 - 08:27 PM

Hi and Welcome :D

Click on the link below to view a list of symptoms of Celiac... I hope this helps. Remember everyone is different and reacts to gluten in different ways. I have also seen another list with a lot more symptoms and have read that there could possibly be 200 symptoms of Celiac.

http://www.celiac.co...-10104273509.f5

#3 HappyCat22

HappyCat22

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 05:32 AM

Thank you! :)

#4 wildones

wildones

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 06:36 PM

My symptoms were

bloating
diarrhea
constipation
extreme fatigue
infertility (many years and 100s of thousands of dollars worth !)
depression
irritability
liver damage (my GI dr who didn't even mention celiac though I should have a liver transplant)
jaundice
severe reflux
weight GAIN
lots of dental problems (because of enamel problems)
feeling like I was 'in a fog' a lot

I forgot to add fibromyalgia (very achy-flu like/joint pain/feel like you are 100yrs old) symptoms

#5 mrstrishch

mrstrishch

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 07:07 PM

Wildones, did all those symptoms go away once you were gluten-free? How long ago? How long did it take? Sorry... I'm new too, and just trying to get a handle on all of this. :blink:

Many blessings,
Trish

#6 wildones

wildones

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 12:39 AM

I saw a huge improvement in my symptoms after a few weeks, even more improvement, once I eliminated ALL of the gluten in my diet (wasn't aware of some hidden sources for a few months). So it took @ 3 months to start feeling much better, and @ 6 months to feel dramatically better for me.
Of my 'measurable' symptoms, my liver function tests are normal, but my teeth have some damage still that hasn't been repaired yet. After spending @ $8,000 so far just for dental co-pays for my sons and I,- and $300,00 for medical expenses- I am not anxious to spend a lot more right now.

BTW the symptoms my 2 sons had were very different from eachother.
If anyone is interested in thier symptoms- long list of MAJOR consequences, because of their own child's history, let me know.

#7 SteveW

SteveW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 03:38 AM

In my 20s
-Fatigue
-Constant Clods
-Racing Heart (after eating/beer)
-Lactose intolerant-along with a long list of suspect foods
-Depression
-Anxiety
-Just never felt "right"-

Late 20s
-Same as above but a little worse
-Started getting GI symptom
-Urgent need to have BM
-Followed by Constipation

30s
-Take all of the above and add these
-GI symptoms(stomach pain, cramping, gas, diarrhea, urgency to have BM) started getting really bad
-Vertigo
-Shaking upon awakening-told this was all in my head
-Fibromyalgia
-Weigh Loss(35lbs)
-Brain Fog

Believe it or not, through all of these symptoms, I was always going to the gym lifting weights. I did ok except for the last 4 years. I had one injury after the other-elbow joint, back/neck, hernia, and every time I had a hard workout I would get violently ill. Flu like symptoms. My strength dive bombed. I kept telling friends and family that I felt like I was falling apart ,little did I know I was.

#8 mrstrishch

mrstrishch

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 04:29 AM

Thank you wildones. :) Wow... "dramatically better"! If you don't mind me asking, what were the hidden sources you found? And yes, I'd be very interested in hearing of your kids' symptoms.

SteveW...
Shaking upon awakening and vertigo? Did those go away as well when you went gluten-free? My mom and I, both diagnosed with fibromyalgia, have the shaking upon awakening and hadn't heard of anyone else with this. I just started eating gluten-free to see how it goes...

#9 SteveW

SteveW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 05:57 AM

The Vertigo and shaking are pretty much gone since going gluten-free.

Prior to celiac disease diagnosis and going gluten-free the Vertigo would come and go. Sometimes would have it come and go for a week then not happen again for 3 months.

The Shaking was a very strange feeling like every cell in my body was dancing around inside of me. It usually only lasted when I was just waking up and in that kind of fog between sleep and awake. I went to my former Doc for this and he told me to relax and take a day off from work :(

I still have the other symptoms to some lesser degree but I've only been gluten-free for around 4 months(with a few mistakes). From what my GI told me I had major damage to my insides along with suspect areas in my lower bowel that could be the start of Crohns. So it may take more time for me to completely heal + I may have other issues I'm dealing with.

#10 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 05:58 AM

Just about the only symptoms I did not have are the diarrhea, wasted buttocks, and bloated stomach. I will add to the above lists: constant headaches, migraines, swollen sinuses, and severe heartburn and indigestion. The last time I ate gluten, my eyelids swelled almost shut, and I did get diarrhea, so I think the symptoms are not predictable. Hidden sources I have found include soy sauce, sallad dressings, and candy. Remember to ALWAYS READ THE LABEL!!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#11 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 07:40 AM

SteveW -- A comment. I would add "hernia" to the list of celiac disease symptoms for this reason. My husband has probably had his celiac disease since he was 27, he's now 53. Diagnosed and gluten-free since 10/03, so he's still 53 yrs old. In the past 10 years he has had 3 hernia repair surgeries: 2 on one side and one on the other and he is working on his fourth hernia. My theory: years of undiagnosed celiac disease manifesting itself in malabsorption, weight loss, muscle wasting (as you know for instance, when someone diets they lose fat & muscle. In celiac disease it probably happens the same way: once your body fat is gone, the body lives off the muscles). My husband lost about 45 lbs total. He went from Hercules type of body (lifted weights too) to Barney Fife. I believe he lost muscle tissue in abdomen area which in turn thinnned it down and resulted in multiple hernias. He gave him a higher chance of hernia and I see this as an indirect result of celiac disease.

Just one woman's theory......
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#12 HappyCat22

HappyCat22

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 06:47 PM

Wow, thanks everyone! I'm highly suspecting that me and several family members have it. We have ALOT of the symptoms! SteveW, did your anxiety go away once you started a gluten-free diet?

#13 Laura

Laura

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 08:05 PM

I didn't have anxiety, but I had depression, which I know is a condition often related to anxiety. It never occurred to me it was related to anything physical, until after I'd been gluten-free for 3 months suddenly I was happy all the time.

I had weight gain, gas, constant colds, sinus infections, and when I got food poisoning or a stomach flu, I got it -- two hours after symptoms would start I'd be so dehydrated I couldn't stand up.

Not that I realized it at the time, but my skin tone was also pretty bad. Dull and greyish.

#14 SteveW

SteveW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 04:51 PM

HappyCat22
My anxiety/depression has gotten better overall but I still have days when I am really down. Looking back 6 months, I was a lot worse off than I am now. It sometimes seem like thing are not improving fast enough.
Constantly being on "high alert" looking for bathrooms and just feeling sick and run down all the time did have a major role in shaping my mental state over the past few years. So any improvement in my physical wellbeing should help my mental state.

#15 kcskorner

kcskorner

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 06:53 PM

I am so glad I found this forum. I just read about this disease and I think I may have found what my problem has been for 7 years! I started having symptoms when I was diagnosed with cervical cancer and was under a great deal of stress. The doctore said I had IBS, but after reading what the symptoms are, I'm going to be tested for celiac disease.

I have problems with diarrhea, constipation, sudden and unexplained foot cramps, abdominal cramps, gasiness, weight loss, headaches, occasional shakiness, fatique, and the scariest thing is a racing heart or palpitations. I do believe these things are caused by more than IBS. I work for an alternative health care facility and the doctor and I are going to read up on the disease next week.

How hard is the diet to follow? Is it costly to buy products without the dreaded symptom causing ingrediants? I think my daughter may also be afflicted. She has sudden mood swings, shakiness, cramping. The doctor told her she has an anxiety disorder and put her on paxil, but I'm beginning to wonder if she may have celiac as well.

Thank you for this forum!

Cheryl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: