21 replies to this topic

#16 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 09:07 PM

How hard is the diet to follow? Is it costly to buy products without the dreaded symptom causing ingrediants?

Cheryl, it doesn't have to be costly, but in a lot of cases it is. If you just go with the basic foods, like meat, fish, poultry, rice, potatoes, fruits and veggies, then the costs don't get too bad. But if you want to make gluten-free treats or buy them pre-made it can get costly. I do buy things like pretzels, cake mix, gluten-free protein bars, etc. because I have three kids on the diet with me, and it makes it easier on them to have some of their favorite treats. I buy rice flour, potato starch, corn flour, corn starch and tapioca starch for making gluten-free treats and they are a bit more expensive than wheat flour. Xanthan gum is one of the most expensive, but it lasts a long time since you only use a little bit when baking. I splurge on Kinnikinnick gluten-free breads from Canada, since they are the only bread we have tried and really liked. I've not had good success with baking my own bread yet.

So, is it costly? That is up to you and your eating habits.

Is it hard to follow? Not really hard to follow once you learn where gluten can be hiding in your foods, but hard to stay uncontaminated when eating out or sharing a kitchen with others who are not gluten free.

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 kyss

kyss

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 10:24 AM

Oh My Gosh! The lightbulb just went on!

I had a sinus infection every month for the past 2 years and had surgery 2x to "fix it". I had no idea that could be a symptom of celiac disease. I also wonder if the numerous yeast infections on my skin are also a symptom of celiac disease? I also was diagnosed with social anxiety and was told to avoid crowds. I am on Zoloft now and feel better but still I don't feel completely right...

My children have symptoms...my oldest (11)(she also besides this list has asthma and allergies to everything except the sun).But in celiac disease category she has large stools, painful constipation, skin problems (eczema, dermatitis), fatigue, heavy clotting periods, bruising with no explaination, muscle cramps, weight gain, thyroid fluctuation, depression, irritability.

My youngest (7) has mood swings, rages (was actually diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder-there is a family history, but how much is BP and how much is celiac disease?), hyperactivity, bruising with no explaination, nose bleeds that don't stop, anemia, difficulty putting on weight (50lbs at 7yrs), trouble with reading, reflux since birth, diarrhea, sleep problems (night terrors, sleep walking).

I need to go but I am so glad I have found this forum...I am so glad my light bulb was turned on...

Kelly :D

#18 kcskorner

kcskorner

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 03:35 PM

Kelly

Your lightbulb sounds like mine! I'm going to see about having my daughter tested as well. I have heard from the doc at work, though, that even though in most cases it's genetic, it can be brought on by extreme situations of stress.

I did an experiment tonight that I'm wishing I hadn't. Not only did I have Orzo (a wheat pasta), but I also had a large slice of rye bread with butter with my dinner. Immediately my heart began to race.

Cheryl

#19 kyss

kyss

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 05:27 PM

Cheryl,

I can't be gluten-free yet because of the biopsy, and last weekend I drank 1 beer and had pizza....wow immediately the vertigo and migraine commenced. I couldn't do anything on Sunday but lay in bed and then couldn't go to work. I was miserable with constipation until Tuesday and then diarrhea until Friday. I actually hate it when I put the food in my mouth and then think to myself I am putting poison in my system. Sounds weird I know, but I wish the testing was overwith so I can go on the gluten-free diet. I see my mom and sister who both were just diagnosed and are gluten-free now...they look great and feel great too. My mother is actually willing to take my 2 girls for the summer to put them in a gluten-free bootcamp, because her house is gluten-free already...and she feels much better than I do (more energy). It's good to have 2 people in my family to help me make my home gluten-free..We swap receipes and lists of foods, but I think I will tell them to sign up here too...I have only been signed up for a few days, but already I have learned more than I ever thought I would just from other people in the forum...it's great to know my family isn't the only ones going thru this....My reaction to my AB IGA (200) was first, anger; then denial; to "No wonder I have felt bad all this time". I am glad I found this site too....it's very helpful!!!! :D
Kelly

#20 judy04

judy04

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 10:41 PM

Hi Cheryl,

I was just diagnosed with a wheat allergy and have been on
a gluten-free diet for about 5 mos.
my symptoms were:

Insomnia
Burning, itchy eyes
environmental allergies
Diarrhea
Nausea
acid reflux
thyroid nodule (surgically removed)
"spells" of vertigo felt like I was going to faint
Anxiety, less socializing, didn't want to leave the house
Migraines
splitting skin on all fingers
itchy scalp
edema
pain on right side
bloating
gas

There are probably more but can't think of anymore, except moodiness,
especially after ingesting gluten. All of this and I'm not a Celiac
according to my MD!
judy

gluten-free since 11/03, neg biopsy, IGA elevated

#21 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 01:37 PM

Kelly,

I am SOOOO jealous that your mother is willing to run "gluten-free bootcamp" for your kids! My parents would probably try to keep my kids gluten-free during a visit (although I suspect they would insist that "a little bit won't hurt") but my in-laws are convinced that the only health problem my kids have is MY "hypochondria"! Since my kids are too young to police themselves, the upshot of this is that I will get NO time away from them for the next several years! I love them dearly, but they are such a handful, I really wish I had a reliable backup caretaker--at least for emergencies! You are so lucky!
Sarah
gluten-free since November 1, 2003

#22 kyss

kyss

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 05:55 PM

Sarah,

I agree I am very lucky that my mom is taking my kids...I will miss them terribly. I can always visit, they will be 4 hours away. I appreciate my mom so much for understanding this mess. Of course she has no choice since she is a Celiac too. My mother in law on the other hand has always given me a hard time because I put my children on medication for asthma and mental problems. She thinks I overreact too and that's too bad. One thing about my mother in law she makes the best Mexican Food around, but we all know how much Gluten is in that. I guess I will have to find alternatives....

My emergency back up is my husband. I really am lucky to have him, he helps out so much. When I come home with the kids after school and am unable to stay awake or just feel miserable he will take over this kids and make sure they are bathed and ready for bed. He is actually very supportive in the gluten-free diet and with the exception of his bread and oreos (both hidden so the girls and I can't find them) he wants to do the gluten-free diet with us.....so wow, yes I am very lucky. I don't know where you live Sarah, but if you were close I would watch your kids in a second as I know how trying they can be especially if they have been eating gluten.

Thanks for your response,
Kelly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: