Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Flax Waffle

3 posts in this topic

Does anyone have a recipe for a flax meal waffle or just a few flours in it? My daughter cannot have corn, rice or almond. Thanks.

Ads by Google:

I don't really have a recipe since i always use almond flour but once when I used a little bit of flax in my waffles it totally ruined my waffle iron from burning and sticking. So, there are tons of flour options out there like sorghum, millet, tapioca, arrowroot etc. just sub sorghum for rice and arrowroot for corn starch and you're good with whatever gluten-free recipe you can find. Google is helpful.

I never tried making waffles out of them, but I have a great recipe for buckwheat pancakes that's got no rice, corn or almond.

Be aware that baking powder generally contains corn. If you can't find corn-free baking powder, you can get the same result by adding cream of tartar to the baking soda (2 parts cream of tartar to 1 part baking soda).

Ingredients

1 cup buckwheat flour

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder

½ teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon cinnamon

1/8 teaspoon nutmeg

1/8 teaspoon clove

1 egg

1 cup low-fat buttermilk

1 tablespoon butter, melted

Instructions

Combine dry ingredients in large bowl.

Whisk remaining ingredients together; stir into dry mixture just until moistened.

Pour batter by ¼ cupfuls onto a hot nonstick griddle coated with nonstick cooking spray.

Turn when bubbles form on top of pancakes; cook until second side is golden brown.

I use almond or rice milk since I can't do dairy, but you didn't mention dairy, so you should be OK.

If you're not using buttermilk, add a little bit of lemon juice or orange juice for acid to help them rise better.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Thanks for replying. You've been very helpful and given me some ideas of trying a few foods in small amounts. I wish I had rotated food months ago then it might not have got so bad. Thanks again and I wish you well.
    • Until my recent blood test results I've been having cinnamon and mint tea in the mornings, which seemed to have a positive effect calming the digestive system (and tastes good too!)  After the first step of diagnosis with high Iga TTg I took at look at the cinnamon sticks I make the tea with and it says "packed in a factory that may contain wheat, corn etc. etc." so that I guess would sound alarm bells for many I reckon. That said I'd imagine the way most of these herbs and spices are harvested isn't exactly gluten-free friendly yet I've seen quite a few recipes using it. How are people getting around this as I can't see any specific gluten-free certified cinnamon products out there? Really could do with my tea back P.S. I also have chamomile tea using the raw flowers which may have a similar background but seem to be less of a risk somehow?
    • If I do have to go back on gluten for a bit it'll at least be a temporary relief from the withdrawal symptoms (or at least what I hope are just withdrawal symptoms). Today's returning malady is acid reflux, something I'd thought I'd seen the back of recently. Really need that to calm down as PPIs the doctor gave before were evil medication and caused 10x more problems, possibly the worst I've ever felt whilst on those so won't be going back there! Although the scales seem to have stabilised in terms of weight loss in myself I feel like I'm wasting away at present, what with the random pulling sensations in muscles and tender head area I'm just scared for what other illnesses may be laying in wait related to the celiac genes  Think I'll head back for the ESR and CRP blood tests next week as the shoulder and temple pains are really worrying me right now, could just be the gluten intolerance but the other options are terrifying if not caught early. So much uncertainty, apart from the fact that none of this ever gets fully better (if at all)...
    • You're welcome! Good luck! And if you get nowhere there, remember, the higher you go, the nicer they get. Skip straight up to the top brass.
    • I'm sorry you've been having such a rough time.  I'm thinking you may have accidentally ingested something containing gluten, and that's what caused your reaction.  A lot of people will react quite severely to even a tiny bit of gluten.  That's why there is so much on here about avoiding cross contamination.  Even though you've been diagnosed with NCGS, you still need to live as though you have actual celiac disease, and be very careful not to cheat.  Your body will punish you for it.  :/  In the meanwhile, nurture yourself kindly and gently, just as you would after a severe bout of food poisoning or intestinal infection.  Comfort foods, like broths and soups and smoothies.  You might want to avoid lactose for a few months too.  Sometimes we lose our ability to digest lactose when our intestines are damaged and vulnerable like yours is right now.   And remember healing takes time.  So does learning the gluten free lifestyle.  Expect some setbacks occasionally.  You WILL get better!
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    kkreuz