32 replies to this topic

#16 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:43 AM

okay, sweets, I reread what you wrote initially and you know what I think don't you? .......but I can't "do" anything from shared facilities. Every time I try it, I get bitten on the behind..Just a thought, but you said:

To be fair, they are produced in a facility that also handles wheat.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:29 PM

Okay, I can now that I'm pretty confident there is nothing wrong with the Riega cheese packets so.... enjoy. There is also something very wrong with me. :wacko:

It has been just over a week since I ate the first mac & cheese and exactly a week since the second time. I was thinking about it all day and had decided that I was pretty confident that the issue couldn't be gluten because I feel fine. I would be willing to concede that my immediate reaction could change somewhat. There is no way if I had glutened myself twice in that time span that I would be a functioning human being at this point. My memory is fine (well, as fine as usual so about as usual so I'm about as sharp as a bowling ball), I haven't been hit with impossible to conquer fatigue, or any more than usual for that matter, no extra aches and pains, no ataxia, my neuropathy hasn't become suddenly out of control. So, I determined it couldn't be gluten.

Off to the races and I haven't been getting a rash from my milk testing so I made alfredo for supper. Made is a strong word, I cooked chicken and pasta and threw some Classico at it. And now I want to die. The bright side is that this gives me 100% reassurance that I was right, it wasn't gluten. The down side is... what the hell?!?! I made a spreadsheet (it calms me, I'm a freak) of the ingredients of both packets and the sauce. They all have cream, not worried cream milk doesn't cause me issues why would cream? The packets have cheddar and the sauce has parmesan cheese, all of these are simply milk, cultures, enzymes and salt. They all have whey, again it's just milk, albeit leftover milk from cheese and in the sauce it is whey protein concentrate. What jumps out at me is that they all have lactic acid. I can't find anything else I eat on a regular basis that has lactic acid. I was pretty close to whole foods for a few months. Is it possible that lactic acid could make me this horribly ill? Has anyone heard of that before? That's.... absurd! :angry:

(And for the record I did for sure not gluten myself tonight. I have been about 10 times more anal retentive than usual... which is pretty absurd for even me.)

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#18 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:33 AM

Never heard of lactic acid being an issue for people ( as it is not the same as lactose intolerance) but maybe someone else knows.

Maybe you should shift focus for a bit......as in what kind of pasta are you eating?

(and just curious, but I thought you were avoiding aged cheeses right now? )

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#19 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:34 AM

My neurologist advised that to stop eating such a limited diet and because it is rare that someone will have an extensive trigger list that I begin trying foods and see what happens. He said that the very small amounts I would get from things like sauces and such would be ideal as long as the are the only untested trigger ingredient. Cheese was probably going to be one of the last on my list due to avoiding milk but I tried Daiya and um, no. And.... that is how I ended up here.

When I made the macaroni I used macaroni pasta. When I made the alfredo I used penne. The penne is a certified gluten-free rice pasta and I have been eating it since spring or early summer. The macaroni is a different brand, but is still just plain old rice pasta with far less ingredients than the penne has. I would suspect them due to purchasing in bulk if it weren't for the fact that my extreme paranoia has me buy unopened boxes of pasta rather than buying from the bins, so they can't be contaminated with anything weird from that. Last Thursday, suspected the macaroni out of paranoia I boiled a new batch for lunch and ate a large bowl full of plain noodles (blech!) and felt fine.

This whole thing frankly just makes me want to scream. I'm getting sick for no apparent reason other than it is clearly food related and it isn't gluten. I played my own personal episode of mystery diagnosis for 30some odd years, I thought I was done with this stupid crap. <_<

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#20 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

. I played my own personal episode of mystery diagnosis for 30some odd years, I thought I was done with this stupid crap. <_<

<_< kiddo, I don't think we're ever done with this stupid crap.
I felt like total shyte this week. I know it wasn't gluten that got me (I think it was one of the "caines" at the dentist office) and I really don't appreciate the ramped up pain I am in and the "how fast can I get to a loo when out in public" thingy, because yeah, I thought I, too was done with that malarkey I endured for 40+ years and so, believe me, when I say "I can relate to your frustration right now" , because, well, I really, really do.
And I know I just wrote a giant run-on mother of a sentence and I don't even care --that's how annoyed I am right now.
:lol: But I'll get over it.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#21 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

:lol: But I'll get over it.

You'll get over feeling poorly yes. We all do. We'll get over our frustration too. But will you get over having written that sentence? Don't lie. :P

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#22 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

I'm setting myself up for a bad night but I think I may have pinned the nose on the donkey! So, out picking up supplies to make massive quantaties of peppermint bark I finally said to myself that I can't live without the current issue of Living Without because it has cookies on the cover. (By the way when I saw pictures of what look just like my favorite ginger cookies my grammy makes I started to cry right in the kitchen.) I was right, I couldn't have lived without this magazine. There is an article in the back (pg 74) about casein. Apparently there are two types, and the dairy I buy from uses cows that produce the rare kind! When I tested the other night it was from a small organic dairy. They also use Jersey cows. That could very well be why I didn't react. So, I made my husband bring me plain old, store brand, generic, from regular cows milk. Ugh. It'll taste like crap I'm sure but I need to know. Honestly, I hope I react. At least I'll know. After 30 years all I want is answers, I don't rightly care what the heck they are at this point.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#23 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

They are just called A1 and A2. A2 is the good guy ;)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#24 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

You'll get over feeling poorly yes. We all do. We'll get over our frustration too. But will you get over having written that sentence? Don't lie. :P

What sentence? :huh:

:lol:

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#25 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:16 PM

Yes, but in the US, finding a diary supply with exclusively A2 truly is rare. Which is why I stated it the way I did. I'm fortunate to be surrounded by so many small dairies that do organic farming with breeds that produce A2. So I can always get Jersey or Guernsey milk non-tainted by A1 if it is truly my problem. I'm currently waiting to get sick enough to want to die. For the record, I could never go back to "regular" milk anyway. Tastes like crap.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#26 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:53 PM

What sentence? :huh:

:lol:

Not exactly buying the paragon of innocence routine. Sorry. :D

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#27 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:06 AM

... the "how fast can I get to a loo when out in public" thingy, because yeah, I thought I, too was done with that malarkey I endured for 40+ years and so...

gee, and I am whining because the same has lasted for about 6 months for me! :(

Adelaide, any chance it may not be milk, or cheese per se, but some additive they sneak into the cheese? That did happen to me, causing severe D and blistery rash.
Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Grave's disease (2011). It must have been a Black Friday.
Intestinal dysbiosis. Suspected damage to my vili (2012). NCGS according to my dermatologist upon seeing my post-wheat rash.

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.
Canola, almonds, soy = evil.

Grain-free, legume-free. December 2012.
No peanuts and tree nuts. February 2013.
Erb-Duchenne palsy from birth trauma.

My body is trying to kill me.

#28 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:23 AM

The cheese is simply listed as having cream, cultures, enzymes and salt. Exactly what it takes to make cheese.

My problem is most assuredly not A1 casein. I drank like a quart of milk and feel pretty much fine. I think I'm just going to attempt to shrug it off at this point and try to fit more pieces if/when I get that sick again. Until then it will remain a mystery and I will try to forget it ever happened so it doesn't eat away at me.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#29 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:33 AM

Not exactly buying the paragon of innocence routine. Sorry. :D

...eh, thought it was worth a shot......... :lol:

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#30 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:38 AM

I think I'm just going to attempt to shrug it off at this point and try to fit more pieces if/when I get that sick again. Until then it will remain a mystery and I will try to forget it ever happened so it doesn't eat away at me.

I hear you. Sometimes, even after I wrack my brain trying to figure out what made me feel yucky (when I had been enjoying a
decent stretch of "peace in the land"), I just give it up, too.
This healing road is so up and down and sometimes, I think it's just a wonky day for the old GI tract.
It is frustrating for sure, but not worth making ourselves nuts.

(or any more nutty than we already are....) :D

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: