34 replies to this topic

#31 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:48 AM

Yep...no cure and many different dietary changes and combos of supplementation can produce results for many -- the key with all is removing all gluten first, then make any other changes needed to help the damaged small intestine heal and stay healed!

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 Highflyer

Highflyer

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

I think were haggling over words. Healed vs. Cured. I guess for me cure is defined by evidence. I have arthritis and if my body no longer showed evidence of the disease I would consider myself cured of it. I have a skin disorder that is healing itself...once I have fully recovered from it I will consider myself cured. Likewise, Dr. Haas had patients who were symptom free after returning to a regular diet, which he and they considered evidence of a cure. I think it's a fabulous bit of information worth looking into. If I ever get to the point where I feel my body is healed and I can resume a diet that is healthy (which would be far from the typical american diet btw) I would also consider myself cured of the disease. Ha...hasn't happened yet! I agree with you all who say 'there is no cure' but I would qualify it by saying, "To date conventional western medicine has not recognized a cure for celiac disease"...however that doesn't mean there is no cure for it, or that it is incurable.

#33 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

Perhaps we are haggling over words, but the words we choose to use on this forum are important as there are many newly diagnosed individuals who read "cure" which leads to more confusion during an often very confusing transition.

In my opinion:

"Cured" would mean someone with Celiac Disease would both heal and be able to safely ingest gluten for life.

"Healed" means health has been restored by healing the damaged small intestine. Often this requires removing more than gluten - while it is possible to get some food intolerances back into the diet - for Celiac Disease gluten can never be ingested safely - well at least until our friends down under work the kinks out of theiir vaccine research.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#34 ndw3363

ndw3363

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

Yes, but I think the point some are trying to make is that just because patients felt "symptom free" doesn't mean they weren't redoing all the damage to their systems. Once completely healed, I'm sure plenty of people could go back to eating whatever they wanted with no symptoms...however, months or years down the road, they would be right back to where they started or worse. Patients felt better because they stopped eating the offending foods and healed their systems. That's like drinking small amounts of poison every day and feeling terrible...stop drinking it and you will miraculously feel "cured". Just my opinion. I had a skin condition too that is HEALED since going gluten-free. However, it is not CURED because if I were to go back to eating that way everyday, my skin condition would return.

#35 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

I think were haggling over words. Healed vs. Cured. I guess for me cure is defined by evidence. I have arthritis and if my body no longer showed evidence of the disease I would consider myself cured of it. I have a skin disorder that is healing itself...once I have fully recovered from it I will consider myself cured. Likewise, Dr. Haas had patients who were symptom free after returning to a regular diet, which he and they considered etevidence of a cure. I think it's a fabulous bit of information worth looking into. If I ever get to the point where I feel my body is healed and I can resume a diet that is healthy (which would be far from the typical american diet btw) I would also consider myself cured of the disease. Ha...hasn't happened yet! I agree with you all who say 'there is no cure' but I would qualify it by saying, "To date conventional western medicine has not recognized a cure for celiac disease"...however that doesn't mean there is no cure for it, or that it is incurable.

Celiac is an autoimmune disease. No matter how well you get yourself feeling--which is totally possible--the disease itself is still there. I feel perfectly normal unless I get accidentally cross contaminated. Took years to get to this point, though, and I would never consider relaxing the "no gluten ever" rule.

Plus, with Celiac, symptom intensity does not necessarily correlate with damage.

You have a right to eat whatever you want, but Celiac at this point can't be cured--there is a lot we still don't know about the disease, but this we do know for sure.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: