6 replies to this topic

#1 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:02 AM

I have not been able to find my coconut bread in any of the city's shops, and need to make some of my own because that is the sole bread I am allowed to eat in my grain-free diet.

Anyone here has a recipe? I would like something with egg whites because I like the fluffiness they produce :) even non-sugar added muffins would do (I could use those as buns/rolls).
Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Grave's disease (2011). It must have been a Black Friday.
Intestinal dysbiosis. Suspected damage to my vili (2012). NCGS according to my dermatologist upon seeing my post-wheat rash.

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.
Canola, almonds, soy = evil.

Grain-free, legume-free. December 2012.
No peanuts and tree nuts. February 2013.
Erb-Duchenne palsy from birth trauma.

My body is trying to kill me.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

If you can do almonds, elanaspantry.com has a number of bread, cracker, and muffin/breakfast recipes based on almond meal and coconut flour. I think all of her recipes are paleo.

Edit to add: I haven't used this site as much, but the spunky coconut has a number of bread recipes as well, and I think they're grain free. She does often use things like tapioca along with nut and coconut flours.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

Thank you! I cannot do tapioca and almonds... I'd looked through the spunky coconut's website, but I am really looking for a much plainer kind of bread :)
Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Grave's disease (2011). It must have been a Black Friday.
Intestinal dysbiosis. Suspected damage to my vili (2012). NCGS according to my dermatologist upon seeing my post-wheat rash.

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.

#4 SensitiveMe

SensitiveMe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

I once copied down a coconut bread recipe from a coconut site I visited. However, I have never gotten around yet to trying it. But I will put it below in case it may be of some help.

3/4 cup sifted coconut flour
1/2 cup melted butter or coconut oil
6 eggs
2 tablespoons agave or honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder.
Blend together eggs, butter or coconut oil, agave or honey, and salt.
Combine coconut flour with baking powder and whisk thoroughly into batter until there are no lumps.
Pour into greased 9 by 5 by 3 inch or smaller loaf pan and bake at 350 for 40 minutes.
Remove from pan and cool on rack.

#5 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

Thanks, I will keep in mind for when I make a sweeter bread.

For now I have been making loaves with 3/4 cups of coconut flour, 2 3/4 cups of egg whites (whipped - I add some cream of tartar and vinegar to stabliize them), 4 tsp of psyllium powder, a pinch of salt, a tbsp coconut or olive oil, and baking powder. I pour it into a narrow rectangular pan. It needs to bake for a pretty long time, 1.5 hours at 350 degrees (but I have an old oven, so it may be more). So far so good - it has a golden crust, nicely "broken" in the middle like some bakery breads, and an airy, white texture inside.

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.

#6 Kelleybean

Kelleybean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:07 AM

I love both the Spunky Coconut and Elana's Pantry websites! I have made Elana's "paleo bread" several times. It was pretty good, although it didn't rise that much. So I think way better with butter or peanut butter on it vs. making a sandwich. I can't seem to keep grapeseed oil around without it going rancid, so I subbed coconut oil. I also just got a cookbook called "Paleo Comfort Foods". They have a good recipe called "Basic bread loaf". I did add 1/4 c coconut oil to that recipe b/c it looked like it'd be a little dry without it. My very picky 4 year old ate it, so I'd call that a success!

#7 SensitiveMe

SensitiveMe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:55 PM

I am glad you have come upon a workable coconut bread recipe for yourself. It is such a challenge when you have a lot of dietary restrictions. My body is also trying to kill me. I refer to my condition as the disease of a thousand tortures. :)

Kelleybean...my grapeseed oil says to use within 10 to 12 weeks of opening, or refrigerate. I do keep most of my variety of oils in the refrigerator. On a different but related note my daughter who worked in one of those body care product shops told me that the products which contained grapeseed oil were discontinued because of its going rancid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: