Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

14 Month Old With Concerning Symptoms

7 posts in this topic

Celiac disease runs loosely in my family so it has always been on the back of my mind for my son, but it is becoming an alarming reality and I would love some input from y'all. My son is 14 months old and has been difficult since day one. We battled severe reflux and gas issues for the first 6 months of his life while he was exclusively breast fed (I was eating gluten). At 6 months, we started only fruits, veggies and oatmeal (all homemade pur

Ads by Google:

You have a few positive tests described right there in your story.

He does better off it, then bad on it. Then better again off, then bad on. That is *four* positive tests right there.

If he does better off gluten, and you can't get proper testing at this time, why keep him on it?

Your doctor is wrong. It can be hard to diagnose in little ones but it certainly exists.

I hope someone can get you some good research to show your doctor.

That said, I am not sure you will want to put him back on gluten for testing via blood and endoscopy.

Follow your gut, you have seen the difference.

Where do these doctors come from??? Stories like this make me so angry.

I would take him off gluten if it were me. I did that with my oldest when he was about 9 months, and he had many of the same symptoms as your little guy. I am going to keep my yyoungest totally gluten-free until he is old enough to be able to tell me how he feels.

Luckily you don't need a doctor's permission to change your diet.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the input and it makes me feel better to know that y'all can see what I am talking about and consider it important as well. We will be flying home for Christmas and I am nervous that our families will just think I am some crazy first time mom that is going overboard. After noticing that he does significantly better off of gluten I am obviously not going to put him back on it but it honestly does worry me that we do not have a diagnosis bc of school issues in the future. I am sure we will have time to worry about that later but I definitely just want to cover the bases

The genetic testing doesn't require eating gluten. Around 30 per cent of the population have the genes, but it might help later on with making accomodations later, along with response to gluten-free diet. Maybe write down now some very specific details of symptoms before and after to refer to later.

With family and others, they wouldn't say you were being fussy if you told people it was a nut allergy. Stick to your guns and know we will all be standing right behind you :)

Worry about school issues when it becomes a problem. A five year old will be able to communicate with you better on how he is feeling!