Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Nightmare At Charthouse

3 posts in this topic

We went to Chart house last night, specifically chose them because they had a gluten free menu.

http://www.chart-hou...n_free_menu.pdf

So when we arrived I asked for the gluten free menu and was given it and it was obviously different from the regular one (different size and style so the server should have seen based on that alone). I ordered and explained that I needed gluten free so not only did she see the menu but I told her, even had a discussion about the salad bar at that point. I thought things were under control.

I ordered this appetizer: Crab, Avocado, Mango Stack 14.99 jumbo lump crabmeat tossed in remoulade, layered

with avocado & mango, and for an entree I ordered Bronzed Fresh Fish 29.99 pan seared, savory balance of sweet & spicy, topped with jumbo lump crab, diced fresh tomatoes & lemon shallot butter, served with steamed vegetables both from their gluten free menu.

So the appetizer comes and on top it appears to be either ginger or carrot shavings so I don't think twice since it was on the gluten free menu. Well it turns out to be fried sweet potato that was not supposed to be on there and of course I found this out after eating some of it. It was fried in the same oil as their breaded items so there was going to be cross contamination. I asked the waitress and then waited for a response which took a bit only to find out it wasn't suppose to be on there at which point I asked to speak to the manager (who was the one who gave me the gluten free menu). At that point our waitress began to ignore us, most likely because she knew she didn't follow procedure and was at fault.

Everyone got their meals and mine came out too and the manager sent it back because the kitchen was never made aware it should be gluten free and it wasn't. So there I was sitting waiting on my meal while they were eating, not great but not a big deal as it has happened before. Well here is my "pan seared" fish, notice how burned it is well I took a bite and it was lukewarm inside.

http://postimage.org/image/jj4l9gedl/

There's the picture of it, I couldn't bring myself to eat it.

So I took it to the manager and told her I didn't want it and they didn't have to try a third time, god only knows what they would do since apparently serving something that charred was "OK", the "chef" said that was how the dish was supposed to be cooked. I was upset but not raising my voice, and none of this went on near where we were seated.

Anyhow I went back to the table and was going to just wait until my family was done with their meals and the manager came over. This and the conversation I had with my husband apparently angered the person seated at the next table to the point he interrupted and told us we were ruining his meal and we should take our conversation someplace else, we was quite arrogant about it. At that point I was just done, not only had I eaten something that was cross contaminated and then I was served something charred but this guy made me feel like I was some sort of leper.

I need to add at no point was my voice raised above a speaking voice. I just got to the point where I realize that if I say nothing then this paves the way for the next person to be sicked and so on and so on.

After he said that I got up and was going to go sit in the car since I could feel the tears welling up. I ended up in the bathroom talking to the manager and crying. What a horrible experience last night.

Ads by Google:

I am so sorry you went through all that. I am glad there are gluten free menus around, but I fear the education of those involved with getting them to us has not evolved. my husband loves to look for restaurants with gluten-free menus, but I am still afraid of the no control of it all.

at least you may have raised some awareness there.

Hi Idonteatwhat!

Ugh! That is called a Nightmare in Chart house :angry:

It is sooooo true that a picture is worth a million words.... That picture was disgusting! :o Made me sick to look at it :ph34r:

I am so sorry that you had a bad experience there...I have not been there--and now I won't go should I see one!

I know for me, when I go out to eat--which is rarely, because of cc, not knowing what you are getting, etc... I order "simple". I do well with a nice steak, greens only for a salad (I cannot eat many raw veg's) a "side" of Blue Cheese dressing--then I can eat small amounts and either steamed veg's or a baked potato saying "butter on the side". I have pretty good luck with this--but I do not know what you can eat, so be specific when you *do* try a restaurant again! :D

You did nothing wrong in that restaurant--the customers next to you were out-of-line!!! None of their beeswax. You were not ruining their meal--just trying to eat some healthy food! Hold your head up high and know Chart house is off your list!!! They were out of line too, of course! :angry:<_< So, move forward, and have a great rest of the week!!!! :D:P