7 replies to this topic

#1 Sarahsmile416

Sarahsmile416

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:06 AM

I had my ultrasound today as I guess the precursor to my endo and it brought up some questions that I was trying to research online but didn't come up with much.

As a child, I was diagnosed with kidney reflux...and is usually the case, by the age of 12, everything had worked itself out. However, I found out today, that as a result, my left kidney is much smaller than my right, no doubt due to the reflux. Thus, I was wondering whether there is a connection between the two problems...or are the two unrelated?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Kamma

Kamma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

You might find this interesting:

http://www.celiac.co...Celiac-Disease/

#3 Sarahsmile416

Sarahsmile416

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

Thanks, Kamma! Didn't see anything about reflux specifically, but perhaps that means there is no true link. I guess my next perusal of research would involve kidney size and eventual celiac...because as I said, my left kidney is smaller than my right due to the damage that my past history of reflux as a child caused.

#4 Kamma

Kamma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

Shortly after I had completed the gluten challenge, I was showing protein in my urine which can imply more serious things. I get my blood tested every six months to monitor it. During the initial round of testing, I had posted some questions here regarding celiac/kidneys and one mother replied that it was through their son's kidney failure that they found out he was celiac. I'm not fully up on the ins and outs of it all but there appears to be a tentative connection between the two for some people.

Does your smaller kidney affect the rate / ability to filter overall?

#5 Sarahsmile416

Sarahsmile416

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:14 PM

Shortly after I had completed the gluten challenge, I was showing protein in my urine which can imply more serious things. I get my blood tested every six months to monitor it. During the initial round of testing, I had posted some questions here regarding celiac/kidneys and one mother replied that it was through their son's kidney failure that they found out he was celiac. I'm not fully up on the ins and outs of it all but there appears to be a tentative connection between the two for some people.

Does your smaller kidney affect the rate / ability to filter overall?

Hi Kamma-

For awhile, I had a great deal of protein in my urine as well, but for the last couple of years, it's been okay.

In answer to your question, yes, I think at times it probably hinders its ability to filter (hence the protein in the past). I have been told numerous times that if I have a UTI it would be important to treat it right away because the kidney probably couldn't take that much more than it has. I think it's been fine the last couple of years, but it is something I have kept an eye on for awhile now.

#6 Kamma

Kamma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

I did some checking as well and could only come up with IgA nephropathy and it's close connection with gluten intolerance. Jeez! This kidney reflux thing is a rare bird!

The IgA nephropathy seems closest to what causes the protein in the blood/poor filtering. Did you have scarring in the kidney's due to the reflux?

Curious, how long have you been gluten free and is that correlated to lower levels of protein in the blood?

#7 Sarahsmile416

Sarahsmile416

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

I did some checking as well and could only come up with IgA nephropathy and it's close connection with gluten intolerance. Jeez! This kidney reflux thing is a rare bird!

The IgA nephropathy seems closest to what causes the protein in the blood/poor filtering. Did you have scarring in the kidney's due to the reflux?

Curious, how long have you been gluten free and is that correlated to lower levels of protein in the blood?

Hi -

Not sure how much scarring there is...my guess is that it's probably healed a lot from when I was a child. My nephrologist told me when I was a kid that my one kidney was pretty damaged and if I wasn't careful it might have to be taken out. I don't know if he was trying to scare me into taking my medicine and to go to the bathroom right away when I had to go, but I never forgot that. So, I'm thinking at one point, it might have been worse off than it is now.

I am actually pre-diagnosis. I have my endo next Wednesday, so I have not been gluten free. I think the lack of protein in my urine probably has to do with aging and the fact that I am farther removed from my childhood reflux. The small kidney just serves as a reminder, I suppose.

My doctor called me today to tell me about my small kidney...after I hung up I realized I should have asked about whether there may be a connection between the two. Maybe I'll ask before my endo.

#8 michellelmu

michellelmu

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:35 PM

Just to chime in - I was recently diagnosed with Celiac's... and I have protenuria in my kidneys (excessive protein found in the urine) and battled reflux in my early 20s and am not 29...so my kidneys are both scarred. my IgA's are very high and my inflammation results from the blood work are abnormally high... all this seems to be relevant to the celiacs as much as my nephrologist, rheumatologist and internal med drs know of. Time will tell!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: