Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

If Not Super Sensitive..is Damage Still Being Done?

• Please log in to reply

17 replies to this topic

#16 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:19 AM

Whatever a super sensitive's reaction, no matter how severe, I suspect they wouldn't show damaged villi from it.

Refractory celiacs definitely show villi damage while on a gluten free diet. Whether or not that is caused by trace gluten is debatable.

My GI doc thinks that refractory celiacs are super sensitive celiacs.

I get "poop in the pants" uncontrollable diarrhea from what I believe is trace gluten. Fasano used that term in the talk I heard him give, and said that it indicates total villi damage.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 cavernio

cavernio

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

Would poop in the pants then not happen all the time, not just in response to gluten? I mean, if absolutely nothing's getting absorbed...

I really don't know, but if I had to guess, it'd be that refractory celiacs are suffering from something besides/as well as celiac disease.
diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

#18 ktienken

ktienken

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

So if super sensitives react to even trace amounts of gluten....and there are people who don't have reactions at all....wouldn't that mean that even people who are not super sensitives are damaging their system even eating 10-20 ppm in food? Kinda confused. My husband wanted me to ask this after i read your answers to him.

I think I've read that the less sensitive people will have less damage. If the damage were occurring, then your husband would know because he wouldn't be absorbing all of the nutrients, because the villi would be destroyed. For example, my iron levels were very low. Think that's what you mean....?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: