This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anxious Every Time I Come To Work!

Kimbalou

Kimbalou Enthusiast

Lately, almost every day I work, someone is bringing in CRAP to eat. I am purposely calling it that because I am so upset. Today there are jelly donuts calling my name. Over the weekend there were all kinds of pastries screaming at my sweet tooth. I even told someone I was glad I couldn't eat that SHIT...right in front of my manager. So, first I get mad, then I get anxious. Then I start to feel better emotionally within 2-3 hours. I wish I didn't feel this way. But, I get so tired of hearing people talk about donuts, then it turns into talking about deep fried Twinkies at the fair. I have never had a deep fried Twinkie, but I want one when people talk about it.

One day someone put some peanut butter cookies (my former favorite) in our lounge. She asked if a certain person was working who is deathly allergic to peanuts. I told her no and she said "oh good...so now we know nobody is here who has food allergies". I wanted to SCREAM at her "How do you know that for sure? Some of us have a frickin' DISEASE when it comes to this kind of CRAPPY food.!!"

I don't like feeling this way. I am overweight, so I don't need to eat this "crap" anyway..

One person even said "I wish I had a reaction to donuts so I wouldn't want to eat them." Excuse me...CELIAC DISEASE is NOT A REACTION!" Well, it is to some degree...but you know what I mean...I want to scream at people "YOU are lucky you don't have an autoimmune disorder when it comes to food! Lucky you!!" So, go ahead and eat your donuts and get fatter...that's ok!!

Ok, sorry for this long rant. I am having a hard time...can you tell? And I hope I don't get kicked off this forum for using bad language!! lol

Thanks for listening and letting my cry on your virtual shoulder...I know many of you understand. :(

P.S. i just noticed it's been almost 2 years since I was diagnosed. No wonder I feel like this, and it's right before Christmas! Time to get a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup to calm me down. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I know how you feel. I started working a month or so ago and we had our Xmas party Friday. So much yummy smelling food and everyone was supposed to contribute. I didn't have time to make the 3 ingredient gluten free peanut butter cookies so I got a box of Italian Xmas cookies for everyone else. I used to love those things. They bring so much food the table was still full yesterday! I sure do hope everything is gone today. One of the managers even made fun of the fact that I am celiac in front of the other workers....but I don't think he will do that again after the look I gave him. This is the hardest time of year for so many of us since so much holiday stuff is food centered.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) for you, me and everyone else who is having a hard time with this sort of thing right now.

Tomorrow I am going to make those peanut butter cookies and eat as many of them in one sitting as I want. :)

Kimbalou Enthusiast

That is NOT ok to be made fun of for having Celiac! Most of my co-workers understand and even apologize when they figure out I can't eat anything they bring. But there are a few people who are rude about the whole thing and even think it's a bogus disease. So, as I am typing this, cupcakes just appeared for a co-worker's birthday.

I just can't wait to go home!!

red island Newbie

I've stopped being surprised by my coworkers' insensitivity - there have been far too many incidents since I was diagnosed last year. Last Christmas I took a snack for myself to the party, this year I will do the same. Or maybe I'll stay home and watch Dr Phil. Has he done a show on insensitive coworkers?

But seriously, what kind of person takes peanut butter cookies to a workplace where a coworker is deathly allergic? And then jokes about it? But sadly I work with people like that too. If they dont care about people that could die from their carelessness what chance do we have? So to all the insensitive people out there I wish you a Merry Christmas and I hope that karma reaches out and bites you.

taddums Newbie

Take some delicious gluten free treats and stash them in the freezer at work. Cupcakes or mini tarts are good. Then you can join in at such occasions. I take mini caramel tarts and often get asked by others where I got it when they see me eating it. If it's a bring a plate thing then take something you can eat and then there will be at least something on the table suitable for you.

I must be lucky to have thoughtful co-workers. They understand me now and often keep the ingredient list of things out so I can read it and check.

Chaff Explorer

This website helps me cope: Open Original Shared Link

I laugh, I cry, usually at once. By the end of scrolling through it, my rage/self-pity/despair-for-humanity is gone.

M-Rods Newbie

Ok I have to ask, are we upset because we think the others are being rude or the fact we can't eat like we once did?

The fact is this disease is still very understood. I'm new to this and explaining to everyone in my life about it so they can understand about what I need to do, but it is unrealistic to think the whole world is going to stop for us.

I'm in upper management and one of my stores had an amazing week, so when I went there I bought them lunch to celebrate, when I asked them what they wanted they all looked at each other and asked what I could eat.

I said no, what do you want and they said pizza...........so I bought them pizza.

I cannot expect everyone around me to change for me or feel bad for me since I can't eat like before, nor do I.

I do have rules in my home location such as my computer and phone is not to be used by anyone else to avoid contaminating it, but I'm not gonna sulk around my co workers for them eating foods they can enjoy and I can't.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kimbalou Enthusiast

M-rods: my concern is the stupid comments I hear at work about how people wish they had a reaction to something so they wouldn't be tempted to eat it. It's also hard when every time I go to wor there is something there I can't eat. The holidays are hard for me with all these goodies around. I don't expect them to eat the way I have to. I just expect people to be considerate and not ignorant about celiac. People don't really get it.

M-Rods Newbie

I've noticed people are like oh so just dont eat wheat and you're fine? They don't get the pain and the reactions to it or the long lasting effects. I enjoy responding the a stupid comment with one in return :) I probably would have used a stupid voice and repeated the comment then paused and said oh ya i do.

I found this funny clip from one of my favorite comedians today, he is one of us now.

Open Original Shared Link

Jrose3009 Newbie

lol that guy is hilarious can definetly relate..:-D my coworkers are def not understanding as id like them to be. Especally my roomates i simply ask "hey has anyone stuck there knoge in this mayo jar (because it was my special one i bought and stuck in the back of the fridge) and they were like nooo why? and I proceeded to explain the whole cross contamination thing and overheard one of them telling someone on the phone on thanksgiving about having special accomidations for me because I was a little "paranoid" (dont think she meant it mean) but it still sucks :-/

Kimbalou Enthusiast

M-Rods: Thank you so much for the funny video clip!! I shared on my FB page. Funny. Started my day off with a laugh at least! I love it when he says: EVERYTHING! That's for sure!!

Gemini Experienced

M-Rods: Thank you so much for the funny video clip!! I shared on my FB page. Funny. Started my day off with a laugh at least! I love it when he says: EVERYTHING! That's for sure!!

While understanding perfectly how you feel because I can never eat anything at my Christmas party either and they do NOTHING to accommodate my needs, I cannot agree that gluten is in everything. It's in the crappy food that keeps the rest of the population going to doctors for high cholesterol and diabetes. It's NOT in many of the other foods Celiacs can eat...the stuff that gives you quality of life again. I am a baker, when I have the time, and I always make sure to have on hand delicious cookies that all those wheat eaters love when I bring them in. They threw a baby shower here at work for one of the girls, who is another Celiac, and bought the damn cake we could not eat. I made gluten-free cupcakes with yummy icing on top and you know....all the wheat eaters were grabbing the cupakes. I always have to add to them...."We don't eat tasteless crap, ya know!"

My dream is to see more and more gluten-free bakeries around, with cakes that don't cost $50.00 for a small cake. Then, maybe, we will become more mainstream and we could get the cake and not stare at the one we can't eat.

GFinDC Veteran

When I worked in the Pentagon they would decorate the doors of the office spaces for Christmas. Right around Christmas week there would be little office parties going on fairly often. People just like to celebrate Christmas and the holiday season. Kimbalou is a grinch if you ask me. Hail to the Grinch! :D

Grinch-Cookies.webp

Just kidding Kimbalou! I thought working in a hospital you would be used to insensitive people by now. Har de har again! :)

Expecting the world to change for us is a great hope, but it may not happen. Then again some people are eating gluten-free now who don't even need to do it. The so called trendy GFer's. Maybe we should think of them as sympathetic GFer's instead? Eating gluten-free out of a show of support for us who have to do it.

Bringing in your own gluten-free treats and stashing some in the office sounds like a good idea. At least you will have something to eat while they fill their pie-holes with gluten.

Since they aren't likely to change it might be better to change your thinking about it? I know it is not easy to adjust but after awhile it probably won't bother you much. It's just food after all. We can change our thinking about food in time, if we want to. I hope you have a good Christmas! :)

Adalaide Mentor

It isn't the lack of sensitivity or ignorance that makes me glad I don't work in an office any more, it is the flat out rudeness and stupidity. Saying right in front of a celiac that you wish cupcakes made you sick? Good thing I don't work in an office with those people, I would be so fired. My first thought when I read that was "well they make me sick and you are SO LUCKY they only make you FAT!" (I may have been born without a brain-mouth filter.)

People really need to reconsider the whole "its the thought that counts" concept, because its crap. Buying a gluteny cake for a celebration for a celiac? That isn't a thought that counts, that is a complete lack of sensitivity and thoughtlessness that stings. No one would buy a cake with peanut butter frosting for someone allergic to nuts and laugh it off. But that is the treatment we get. It isn't plain ignorance either, it takes a special kind of person to buy a cake for someone knowing they have celiac then expect them to stand there gracefully while everyone celebrates around them. While they can't ever understand the special kind of hell that can be (and while we can't ever avoid these situations 100%) and we need to learn to deal with difficult things, doing this elevates someone to the level of insensitive prick in my book.

smpalesh Explorer

LOL John Pinette is awesome! My husband and I met him and got a picture with him in September.

I don't work (am a social work student and mother) but I too am tired of the insensitivity. People treat me like I'm being a drama queen when I say I can't eat the bread when they cut it on the same cutting board or I can't eat the potatoes that were mashed with the butter that had wheat crumbs in it. And I've even had people offended when I bring my own food as if it is somehow a slight against them. Unfortunately we can't change other people so we just have to keep on keeping on. We know how sick we'll get if we eat the stuff so all we can do is try and educate. I told a friend how sick I got from something that was cross-contaminated and she was amazed how small an amount of gluten makes me sick so people do learn in baby steps. Take your own really yummy looking treats in and make everyone jealous of your great food!

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

There is hope. When I left my last job, my boss went out and got balloons, a cake

for everyone else, and bought like three different packages of cookies and things

from the gluten free section of the grocery store for me. When they did cookouts

they would bring me a box of crackers or something, things like that. Although I'll

never forget the day, when I was working temporary afternoon extended hours, I

came in to work at 11am and my desk was COVERED in those clamshell containers

full of doughnuts, muffins, cookies, blah de blah. My boss was able to see me from

his desk, so when I got to my desk I saw all this, I stopped, look up at him and

said "Really?" He was puzzled for a minute, looked down at my desk where I was

looking, and you could just see the panicked awareness spread across his face.

One of the funniest moments of my working career.

Archived