6 replies to this topic

#1 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

Did anyone else have elevated liver enzymes before being diagnosed? If so, what exactly does this mean?
Did they go back to normal after several months?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

Elevated liver enzymes are associated with untreated celiac disease. You can find several threads here about it. Some people said their levels returned to normal after being on the gluten-free diet awhile.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#3 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

Elevated liver enzymes are associated with untreated celiac disease. You can find several threads here about it. Some people said their levels returned to normal after being on the gluten-free diet awhile.

Thanks for the reply. Thats what I was thinking. I was gluten free for a few years and was doing so much better until I had a doctor tell me that because I had mucus after a BM, it was IBS not celiac.....well to make a long story short, I ate gluten for a few weeks and I seriously felt like I was dying so I went to a dif. doctor who ran blood work and it was confirmed and now my liver is showing the elevated enzymes. That will be the last time that I listen to a non GI doctor.
I am going back to the GI in Jan. Hopefully the levels will be down from the gluten free diet.

#4 GFinDC

GFinDC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:28 AM

Thanks for the reply. Thats what I was thinking. I was gluten free for a few years and was doing so much better until I had a doctor tell me that because I had mucus after a BM, it was IBS not celiac.....well to make a long story short, I ate gluten for a few weeks and I seriously felt like I was dying so I went to a dif. doctor who ran blood work and it was confirmed and now my liver is showing the elevated enzymes. That will be the last time that I listen to a non GI doctor.
I am going back to the GI in Jan. Hopefully the levels will be down from the gluten free diet.

I wouldn't listen to that doctor anymore either. It always makes sense to check things out for yourself I think, and verify what they tell you.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#5 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

Thanks for the help GFinDC. I did a search on elevated liver enzymes. It seems like it's pretty common with celiac disease. Hopefully with the diet, my liver will fix itself.

-MO

#6 GFinDC

GFinDC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

You are welcome! Hopefully it will straighten out in time. Sounds good to me! :):)

#7 Ann1231

Ann1231

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

I have elevated liver enzymes too! In December they were 55, 109. Two weeks later they were 96, 232!!! I've had an ultrasound and everything checked out ok and I all my followup blood work was ok (no hepatitis or other things like that). I'm recommitting to gluten free and hopefully by my next check on January 29th, they'll show improvement.
hypothyroid
hypoglycemic (diagnosed 1997 but symptomatic since grade school)
fibromyalgia
rheumatoid arthritis (diagnosed January 2005)
peanut allergy

restarting gluten-free January 20, 2013

elevated liver enzymes + symptoms indicated celiac January 31, 2013. Dr. didn't want to run further tests due to other health complications

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: