Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Elevated Liver Enzyme

7 posts in this topic

Did anyone else have elevated liver enzymes before being diagnosed? If so, what exactly does this mean?

Did they go back to normal after several months?

Elevated liver enzymes are associated with untreated celiac disease. You can find several threads here about it. Some people said their levels returned to normal after being on the gluten-free diet awhile.

Elevated liver enzymes are associated with untreated celiac disease. You can find several threads here about it. Some people said their levels returned to normal after being on the gluten-free diet awhile.

Thanks for the reply. Thats what I was thinking. I was gluten free for a few years and was doing so much better until I had a doctor tell me that because I had mucus after a BM, it was IBS not celiac.....well to make a long story short, I ate gluten for a few weeks and I seriously felt like I was dying so I went to a dif. doctor who ran blood work and it was confirmed and now my liver is showing the elevated enzymes. That will be the last time that I listen to a non GI doctor.

I am going back to the GI in Jan. Hopefully the levels will be down from the gluten free diet.

Thanks for the reply. Thats what I was thinking. I was gluten free for a few years and was doing so much better until I had a doctor tell me that because I had mucus after a BM, it was IBS not celiac.....well to make a long story short, I ate gluten for a few weeks and I seriously felt like I was dying so I went to a dif. doctor who ran blood work and it was confirmed and now my liver is showing the elevated enzymes. That will be the last time that I listen to a non GI doctor.

I am going back to the GI in Jan. Hopefully the levels will be down from the gluten free diet.

I wouldn't listen to that doctor anymore either. It always makes sense to check things out for yourself I think, and verify what they tell you.

Thanks for the help GFinDC. I did a search on elevated liver enzymes. It seems like it's pretty common with celiac disease. Hopefully with the diet, my liver will fix itself.

-MO

You are welcome! Hopefully it will straighten out in time. Sounds good to me! :):)

I have elevated liver enzymes too! In December they were 55, 109. Two weeks later they were 96, 232!!! I've had an ultrasound and everything checked out ok and I all my followup blood work was ok (no hepatitis or other things like that). I'm recommitting to gluten free and hopefully by my next check on January 29th, they'll show improvement.