3 replies to this topic

#1 PaulaK

PaulaK

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

My son has been screened twice for celiac disease, and both times the results have come back as negative.

He has all the signs and symptoms of celiac:

Severe Fatigue ( iron levels tested low on blood testl)
Nauseous after eating
Severe abdominal cramping and bloating
Passing gas
Bruising (his pt levels blood test came back as high)
He is so small in comparison to his peers, and way smaller than his brother was at this age
Lactose Intolerance test are positive
Frequent infections every 4-6 weeks (mostly sinus)
Constipation (at times he has the opposite and can hardly make it to the washroom on time)
Funny rash on knees and now once at ankle (Red bumps and blisters - very itchy before new one comes out)

He has severe asthma and is taking a fairly high dose of corticosteroid for his age twice a day. He is also taking a steroid nasal spray.

I am wondering if the steroids can have anything to do with the negative blood results we are getting?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

Maybe:

http://www.curecelia...o-be-inaccurate
"Would taking steroids cause the blood tests to be inaccurate?

Yes, but only if you have been taking steroids for a prolonged period of time."

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 PaulaK

PaulaK

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

Maybe:

http://www.curecelia...o-be-inaccurate
"Would taking steroids cause the blood tests to be inaccurate?

Yes, but only if you have been taking steroids for a prolonged period of time."

He has been on steroids for 4 years now

#4 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

You might want to share that wth your doctor. Its from a Celiac Medical Center so its reputable. They also have a way to submit a question. You might try that. They will want you to attach a scan of the actual blood test results or electronic copy and want to know the medicine and dosage.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: