#1 Lady Eowyn

Lady Eowyn

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:52 AM

Hi there
This has probably been discussed before but does anyone else associate white marks on nails with celiac/is it related?

I have had them for as long as I can remember and although I am aware of the documented causes I find mine often mirror when my DH flares. They vary in how many but both hands, all nails but less on thumbs.
A common reason seems to be zinc deficiency but I have had problems taking it in the past as after a few days it gives me the shakes badly and am pretty sure it makes my hair fall out (have the same problem with Vit C). No effect on white marks.
Also know the 'caused by knocks and damage to nail bed' but it's not that in my case! (Bashing my hands about for 30 odd years :ph34r: - very unlikely)!

Have wondered if it is something to do with calcium. I have started to have some scd 24 hour homemade yoghurt lately (going down ok) and in the last 10 days they have got worse (as has DH). Beginning to think I should have put this in the DH section!!
Calcium is not being absorbed so turning up elsewhere ????? That is not mean't to be a fact - just putting out an idea :P.
The only supplement I take is Vit D.

Got to say it - ( :ph34r: !!!) when I wear nail varnish (very rare as a bit spooky about the chemicals in it), when I remove it the white spots are gone and reappear in about 24 hours :blink: crazy but true!!

Anyone else get these and any idea how to be rid of them?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:56 AM

I know they correspond to a deficiency, but can't remember which nutrient.

What I can tell you is I had them my entire life - until I'd been gluten-free for about six months and have not had any since.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#3 Chaff

Chaff

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

The Straight Dope has a nice write-up of this; here are the key points:

-- it's called punctate leukonychia (medicalese for "white spots.")
-- can indicate any number of medical conditions, some serious, some not
-- it's not clear how they actually form
-- can be come from hitting your hand on something

celiac, hypothyroid, hereditary hemochromatosis

#4 ValeriaZ

ValeriaZ

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:12 AM

Zinc deficiency