This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tmi - Stool Issues

GFreeMO

GFreeMO Proficient

Whenever I get glutened and after the gas and D mixed with C, I get either stool with undigested food or I will feel like I have to 'go' and I get a mucus or oily discharge. The mucus/discharge can go on for a few days. When the mucus/ discharge is over, the pain subsides and I am ok until the next glutening.

Sometimes the mucus/oily discharge is mixed with bits of undigested food. What is this all about? It's really bothering me. Is this part of the fat malabsorbtion or something to do with gluten damaging the mucus layer?

I'd ask my doc but I don't go back until the end of Jan.

thanks - MO

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFreeMO Proficient

Anyone..No one has mucus?

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Um, it's happened to me, I just have no explanation for it.

GFreeMO Proficient

Um, it's happened to me, I just have no explanation for it.

Thanks for the reply. I can't stand the mucus b/c it's the symptom that seems to linger the most for me. I guess it's part of celiac and I should just try to ignore it. :wacko:

bartfull Rising Star

Before I went gluten-free, it was like that every day for me. I think it is malabsorption.

Skittles Enthusiast

I had that mucus a lot when I was suffering from C, before I went gluten free

GFinDC Veteran

My understanding is the gut makes lots of mucus normally to help with the movement of chyme (food). When you are glutened it makes some sense that more mucus would be produced a a reaction to the damage. Or maybe the gut makes moo-cuss?

I ate carrots once and got a nice thin layer of floating transparent tissue and moss-cuss in the returns. I think it was a layer of surface gut material destroyed by the immune reaction. You know how when you get a cut or damage to your skin it can make fluid? I think the mucus is the normal response for the gut cells that compares to that. It's just what they do normally but they do more of it when damaged. 2 cents on the way out please, (Lucy said it wuz ok). :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFreeMO Proficient

My understanding is the gut makes lots of mucus normally to help with the movement of chyme (food). When you are glutened it makes some sense that more mucus would be produced a a reaction to the damage. Or maybe the gut makes moo-cuss?

I ate carrots once and got a nice thin layer of floating transparent tissue and moss-cuss in the returns. I think it was a layer of surface gut material destroyed by the immune reaction. You know how when you get a cut or damage to your skin it can make fluid? I think the mucus is the normal response for the gut cells that compares to that. It's just what they do normally but they do more of it when damaged. 2 cents on the way out please, (Lucy said it wuz ok). :)

Makes sense to me! You have been a lot of help to me lately. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
L.J. Rookie

Oh PFinDC!

Are you uncomfortable, yes? I have not hear you said this *ever* in a recent post! You must be very hurting, yes?

Can You not arfety some???? :D I think it would help, yes? If not, I recommend a rest, comfort zone, and feeling better! ;)

My thoughts are with you always, :) May you be more comfortable soon!,, and feeling better ... Yes?

I hope your hoidays were good/ (I said first said...hopitadays...I thought that was rather good, yea?)

How are you doing now? True? I hope better.....I hope *Much better* Let me know OK?

My Best to You!

LJ

L.J. Rookie

OK, One more post here...I started Fish Oil... (My word Fish Fat) but it has helped me alot...just thought I wanted to tell you that FP...

I know we have different issues, so to speak, But, I know that Fish Oil has helped my skin DH alot!.... Even with the cheating of ETOH-- (ich) alcohol..... My best to you, please know how you are doing...

I also started a Vitamin C-- Pure Ascorbic Acid (that be Vit. C) not the acid kind (HA HA) I know I have only taken one--Do you know how much V.C I have had in the last 6 months????? none.............. (Skurvy) unless I get some Vit. C. Taken it slow--you know

still had more Vit. C in 1 day than in the last 6 months............... :lol:

That's gotta be great, eh? :wub:

L.J. Rookie

Oh FP,

Mucus is OK....(my opinion only)...no great references to post--just, when I have mucus (from anywhere....... :rolleyes: I feel better soon....

Hang in there FPinDC...................We have a NY toast to do....with or without alcohol, no worries, either way! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Talk soon, Hope you get to feeling better soon!

Oh, of course, one more thought... I finally called my Allergist to say "NO GO" on the chemical testing.... At first, they thought I was blowing them off...(Why would I do that???" ) I said, Keep my appt. for continuing on...(My, I must say they are sensivite.. :lol: )

Take care...Let me know how you are doing, OK????? :D

GFinDC Veteran

Hi LJ,

I am fine, that incident was couple years ago. Learned me not to eat carrots anymore tho. I used to buy bags of them and eat them as snacks. No more. Bugs-bunny can keep 'em. :)

A toast sounds good. I went to Christmas dinner last night and had a couple hard ciders. So for New Year's I'll probably try something else besides water.

Fish oil might be something to try. Maybe I can find some at the vitamin store. I suppose you keep it in the cooler so it won't go rancid right?

Now, vitamins C is not something you should have. How can you get scurvy when we have all those delicious pink grapefruit to eat in the stores? :)

Sorry for the thread detour Mo!

GFinDC Veteran

Hi LJ,

I am fine, that incident was couple years ago. Learned me not to eat carrots anymore tho. I used to buy bags of them and eat them as snacks. No more. Bugs-bunny can keep 'em. :)

A toast sounds good. I went to Christmas dinner last night and had a couple hard ciders. So for New Year's I'll probably try something else besides water.

Fish oil might be something to try. Maybe I can find some at the vitamin store. I suppose you keep it in the cooler so it won't go rancid right?

Now, vitamins C is not something you should have. How can you get scurvy when we have all those delicious pink grapefruit to eat in the stores? :)

GFinDC Veteran

Hi LJ,

cavernio Enthusiast

I seem to remember you asking something similar before?

If your intestines were damaged so much by 1 glutening, and the mucus and indigestion were a sign of serious villi damage, then the indigestion and mucus would last as long as it takes to repair the damage. Since villi take quite awhile to heal fully, months (although healing commenses asap so I've read, but it's not a fast process), I wouldn't think the mucus and indigestion are from the villous damage. Celiac's fat malabsorption is due to damaged villi also.

I think pooing mucus is much like a runny nose when you've got a flu or cold. The immune system makes stuff trying to fight off the infection or something and then you have to get rid of it.

Chaff Explorer

The only time I saw this mucus was the first day I reintroduced gluten in preparation for my celiac testing. I had been gluten-free 6 weeks and the first thing I ate led to all the things you describe. I ate the same dish the last day of my 6 week gluten reintroduction period, and saw nothing similar to it.

I agree this could easily be the mucous lining of your small intestine being swept out of your system by the glutening.

That being said, I asked my GI and he was all like "I see mucous all the time and it could mean anything." It must suck to be a GI doctor.

As for me, that's the *only* time I saw mucous, so I'm sticking with my theory.

Archived