3 replies to this topic

#1 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

Do any of you gluten free bakers live in a high altitude? I made some brownies and they were like rocks. What do I need to be doing differently?
I'm at 7,500 feet.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ajnemajrje

ajnemajrje

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

gluten-free flours tend to be denser than regular flours - even if you are using an Allpurpose flour blend, I would suggest cutting down on the amout of flour used inthe recipe.

Generally I have found that using 1/2- 3/4 of a cup of gluten-free Flour for every 1c of flour the recipe calls for.

You could also add a bit of baking soda - not sure how much but less than a teaspoon for every cup to add volume to the finished product.

Hope that helps. Sorry for being vague. I am learning too :P

#3 Ginsou

Ginsou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

Do any of you gluten free bakers live in a high altitude? I made some brownies and they were like rocks. What do I need to be doing differently?
I'm at 7,500 feet.

Thanks!

I have baked cupcakes and brownies that came out perfect at 4,000 feet in Arizona, and while summering in Monument, CO the mixes I used came out perfect. I have used Betty Crocker and King Arthur, and Namaste. I've had disasterous results with most other commercial mixes, especially 1-2-3- Gluten Free Brand. My gluten eating neighbors begged me for more King Arthur chocolate cupcakes with buttercream frosting, and blueberry muffins.

#4 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

I'm at the high altitude "line". I didn't cook here or in a gas oven pre gluten-free so I've been trying to figure my problems out. I tested my oven with a thermometer and its right on the mark...I've come to the conclusion I must raise the oven temp 10 degrees-25 degrees when baking. That usually does the trick. The lower temp the recipe calls for, the more I have to raise it. So, a recipe baking at 275 would go up to 300, but one at 375 may only go up to 385. In the 400's definitely am just raising it 10. I also do NOT put anything in without preheating.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: