#1 Firuze

Firuze

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

Hi,
My dietitian has once told me that the hot coffee cups (that are served in Starbucks etc) contain gluten in their edges. Do you have problems with it?

I keep ordering coffee in mugs ever since, but I can not have coffee to go obviously.

I have been diagnosed celiac 5-6 months ago insidentally and I do not have symptoms, so I am afraid I am getting glutened without knowing.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,117 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

Wow! That's a new one for me. I use them all the time and don't worry about that.

Ps. That little blue writing is hard for my old eyes to see and doesn't show up well on my phone.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

Hi,
My dietitian has once told me that the hot coffee cups (that are served in Starbucks etc) contain gluten in their edges. Do you have problems with it?

I keep ordering coffee in mugs ever since, but I can not have coffee to go obviously.

I have been diagnosed celiac 5-6 months ago insidentally and I do not have symptoms, so I am afraid I am getting glutened without knowing.

Oh my goodness! Please find another dietician because that's so ridiculous, it's scary that people with an education are giving out that kind of false information. :o There is no gluten in coffee cups or coffee, for that matter, so enjoy your take-out!

#4 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

Hi,

Absolutely not true! Go ahead and get your coffee to go :) --I go there several times a week, and have never drank out of anything except a regular paper Starbucks cup.

I'd love to know where the dietitian got that gem?
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:04 PM

...oh boy. I have no words. (I know, that's rare) :lol:

okay, I have recovered.....

Hon, drink up!

And please, get a new dietician.

or just read this celiac-savvy, well- respected registered dietician's (Shellley Case) book

http://www.glutenfreediet.ca/

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

I live with a level of paranoia that is probably unhealthy to be perfectly honest. This just made me laugh. I really wonder how people get ideas like this and why they then feel like they need to spread these ideas to unsuspecting victims.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#7 Em314

Em314

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:42 PM

...so drink the coffee, but don't eat the cup? :blink:
Diagnosed celiac December 2012 (bloodwork + endoscopy). Gluten-free since.

#8 Firuze

Firuze

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:35 AM

Wow, you gave me a big relief!!
The dietitian was quite paranoiac actually, she made me paranoiac about cheese also :wacko: she said I can not trust every kind of cheese, and I am quite confused ( sometimes I wish I had the symptoms to make sure that things I eat do not have gluten.. )

I saw the same warning about hot coffee cups on our local celiac association (in Istanbul/Turkey). they say it is used as a glue for the side of these cups.

Anyway, I think experience is everything here, so I will trust your kind comments and get my coffee to go!

Thank you all!!!

#9 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,117 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:58 AM

I suppose things could be different in Turkey. Not sure what kind of food labeling laws they have. The only cheese I have found in the US with gluten is a beer cheese. Otherwise, there is no reason to add wheat or barley to a chink of cheese.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#10 Cowvalley

Cowvalley

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

Oh my goodness! Please find another dietician because that's so ridiculous, it's scary that people with an education are giving out that kind of false information. :o There is no gluten in coffee cups or coffee, for that matter, so enjoy your take-out!

Some glues may have gluten in them but we are very sensitive and have had no problem with the cups. Some decaf coffees have gluten in them because of the processing though starbucks' does not. I would be more worried about the lining, if it is parafin or a similar petroleum product, you could have a problem with mineral oil allergies.

#11 cavernio

cavernio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

I'm sure most people who've posted here haven't the faintest idea what your coffee cups are made of. I don't. If you really want to know 100% you should try to contact the manufacturer of the paper cups the cafes in question use.
Regardless, you may want to consider investing in a travel mug. Less waste (overtime), don't ahve to worry about the paper cups, can clean it yourself at home with safe detergents and properly (I've worked at coffee shops, I wouldn't trust half of them to have safe dishes).
diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

#12 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

I'm sure most people who've posted here haven't the faintest idea what your coffee cups are made of. I don't. If you really want to know 100% you should try to contact the manufacturer of the paper cups the cafes in question use.
Regardless, you may want to consider investing in a travel mug. Less waste (overtime), don't ahve to worry about the paper cups, can clean it yourself at home with safe detergents and properly (I've worked at coffee shops, I wouldn't trust half of them to have safe dishes).

I hadn't thought of this but if I'm planning on stopping for a hot chocolate while I'm out of the house I simply don't leave without my travel mug. It has paid for itself by now because instead of paying something like $1.25 for a hot chocolate I'm paying $.75 for a refill, plus no issues with cups. The fun part is always harassing the convenient store people to be allowed to read the box from the hot chocolate. :P

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#13 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

Some glues may have gluten in them but we are very sensitive and have had no problem with the cups. Some decaf coffees have gluten in them because of the processing though starbucks' does not. I would be more worried about the lining, if it is parafin or a similar petroleum product, you could have a problem with mineral oil allergies.

Some glues have gluten in them?
Decaf coffees have gluten in them because of the processing?

Could you please cite sources for this information, so I can read the research---- as I am most interested in knowing which ones have gluten.
Thank you!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#14 ajnemajrje

ajnemajrje

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

While there are glues out there that have gluten as an ingredient, I would have to say that unless the glue is runny and sticking to your hands, its fine.

If it was runny, the coffee would run out before you drank any :P

I have heard the adhesive on stamps can contain gluten but the taste of stamp glue is nasty. Why woudl anyone want to lick a stamp?

#15 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

While there are glues out there that have gluten as an ingredient, I would have to say that unless the glue is runny and sticking to your hands, its fine.

If it was runny, the coffee would run out before you drank any :P

I have heard the adhesive on stamps can contain gluten but the taste of stamp glue is nasty. Why woudl anyone want to lick a stamp?

We have all heard these stories about gluten in envelope and stamp glue. But has anyone ever actually found a verified case? In over twelve years, I have not seen one.

I haven't licked a stamp in many years, but that is because in Canada they use pressure-sensitive adhesive--you peel and press.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: