This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Should We Avoid Hot Coffee Cups?

Firuze

Firuze Newbie

Hi,

My dietitian has once told me that the hot coffee cups (that are served in Starbucks etc) contain gluten in their edges. Do you have problems with it?

I keep ordering coffee in mugs ever since, but I can not have coffee to go obviously.

I have been diagnosed celiac 5-6 months ago insidentally and I do not have symptoms, so I am afraid I am getting glutened without knowing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Wow! That's a new one for me. I use them all the time and don't worry about that.

Ps. That little blue writing is hard for my old eyes to see and doesn't show up well on my phone.

Gemini Experienced

Hi,

My dietitian has once told me that the hot coffee cups (that are served in Starbucks etc) contain gluten in their edges. Do you have problems with it?

I keep ordering coffee in mugs ever since, but I can not have coffee to go obviously.

I have been diagnosed celiac 5-6 months ago insidentally and I do not have symptoms, so I am afraid I am getting glutened without knowing.

Oh my goodness! Please find another dietician because that's so ridiculous, it's scary that people with an education are giving out that kind of false information. :o There is no gluten in coffee cups or coffee, for that matter, so enjoy your take-out!

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi,

Absolutely not true! Go ahead and get your coffee to go :) --I go there several times a week, and have never drank out of anything except a regular paper Starbucks cup.

I'd love to know where the dietitian got that gem?

IrishHeart Veteran

...oh boy. I have no words. (I know, that's rare) :lol:

okay, I have recovered.....

Hon, drink up!

And please, get a new dietician.

or just read this celiac-savvy, well- respected registered dietician's (Shellley Case) book

Open Original Shared Link

Adalaide Mentor

I live with a level of paranoia that is probably unhealthy to be perfectly honest. This just made me laugh. I really wonder how people get ideas like this and why they then feel like they need to spread these ideas to unsuspecting victims.

Em314 Explorer

...so drink the coffee, but don't eat the cup? :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Firuze Newbie

Wow, you gave me a big relief!!

The dietitian was quite paranoiac actually, she made me paranoiac about cheese also :wacko: she said I can not trust every kind of cheese, and I am quite confused ( sometimes I wish I had the symptoms to make sure that things I eat do not have gluten.. )

I saw the same warning about hot coffee cups on our local celiac association (in Istanbul/Turkey). they say it is used as a glue for the side of these cups.

Anyway, I think experience is everything here, so I will trust your kind comments and get my coffee to go!

Thank you all!!!

kareng Grand Master

I suppose things could be different in Turkey. Not sure what kind of food labeling laws they have. The only cheese I have found in the US with gluten is a beer cheese. Otherwise, there is no reason to add wheat or barley to a chink of cheese.

Cowvalley Newbie

Oh my goodness! Please find another dietician because that's so ridiculous, it's scary that people with an education are giving out that kind of false information. :o There is no gluten in coffee cups or coffee, for that matter, so enjoy your take-out!

Some glues may have gluten in them but we are very sensitive and have had no problem with the cups. Some decaf coffees have gluten in them because of the processing though starbucks' does not. I would be more worried about the lining, if it is parafin or a similar petroleum product, you could have a problem with mineral oil allergies.

cavernio Enthusiast

I'm sure most people who've posted here haven't the faintest idea what your coffee cups are made of. I don't. If you really want to know 100% you should try to contact the manufacturer of the paper cups the cafes in question use.

Regardless, you may want to consider investing in a travel mug. Less waste (overtime), don't ahve to worry about the paper cups, can clean it yourself at home with safe detergents and properly (I've worked at coffee shops, I wouldn't trust half of them to have safe dishes).

Adalaide Mentor

I'm sure most people who've posted here haven't the faintest idea what your coffee cups are made of. I don't. If you really want to know 100% you should try to contact the manufacturer of the paper cups the cafes in question use.

Regardless, you may want to consider investing in a travel mug. Less waste (overtime), don't ahve to worry about the paper cups, can clean it yourself at home with safe detergents and properly (I've worked at coffee shops, I wouldn't trust half of them to have safe dishes).

I hadn't thought of this but if I'm planning on stopping for a hot chocolate while I'm out of the house I simply don't leave without my travel mug. It has paid for itself by now because instead of paying something like $1.25 for a hot chocolate I'm paying $.75 for a refill, plus no issues with cups. The fun part is always harassing the convenient store people to be allowed to read the box from the hot chocolate. :P

IrishHeart Veteran

Some glues may have gluten in them but we are very sensitive and have had no problem with the cups. Some decaf coffees have gluten in them because of the processing though starbucks' does not. I would be more worried about the lining, if it is parafin or a similar petroleum product, you could have a problem with mineral oil allergies.

Some glues have gluten in them?

Decaf coffees have gluten in them because of the processing?

Could you please cite sources for this information, so I can read the research---- as I am most interested in knowing which ones have gluten.

Thank you!

ajnemajrje Newbie

While there are glues out there that have gluten as an ingredient, I would have to say that unless the glue is runny and sticking to your hands, its fine.

If it was runny, the coffee would run out before you drank any :P

I have heard the adhesive on stamps can contain gluten but the taste of stamp glue is nasty. Why woudl anyone want to lick a stamp?

psawyer Proficient

While there are glues out there that have gluten as an ingredient, I would have to say that unless the glue is runny and sticking to your hands, its fine.

I have heard the adhesive on stamps can contain gluten but the taste of stamp glue is nasty. Why woudl anyone want to lick a stamp?

We have all heard these stories about gluten in envelope and stamp glue. But has anyone ever actually found a verified case? In over twelve years, I have not seen one.

I haven't licked a stamp in many years, but that is because in Canada they use pressure-sensitive adhesive--you peel and press.

IrishHeart Veteran

All myths.

"Tonya Muse, senior vice president of the Envelope Manufacturers Association,states that adhesives used on envelopes do not contain gluten.

There are actually only a few envelope glue manufacturers in the US.National Starch & Chemical, a New Jersey company, is one of the largest

adhesive suppliers in the world. A company spokesperson says it makes its glue from corn, which is gluten free.

(this would likely also be true for coffee cups or anything else.)

As for postage stamps, the US Postal Service points out that 98 to 99 percent of the stamps it now sells are pressure adhesive stamps. You peel

them off a paper backing and press them onto your mail. No licking required

for anyone, including celiacs.

"Even if you happen to get a stamp that needs to be licked, the adhesive on it is gluten free, says Roy Betts, a spokesman for

the US Postal Service."

FatBear Newbie

Some glues have gluten in them?

I think gluten is the original glue, though we call it "paste" in kindergarten nowadays. :-)

If the 7-11 cups are gluted with glue, that would explain why they keep separating.

But now I read that Decaf coffee has gluten in it? That's a bummer because I've been cutting my afternoon cup 50/50 regular and decaf so I can sleep at night.

kareng Grand Master

But now I read that Decaf coffee has gluten in it? That's a bummer because I've been cutting my afternoon cup 50/50 regular and decaf so I can sleep at night.

Decaf coffee does not have gluten We asked him where he got that info and he didn't give us an answer.

ajnemajrje Newbie

We have all heard these stories about gluten in envelope and stamp glue. But has anyone ever actually found a verified case? In over twelve years, I have not seen one.

I haven't licked a stamp in many years, but that is because in Canada they use pressure-sensitive adhesive--you peel and press.

Many "glues" on the market do contain wheat or an unspecified starch. I dont think that there have been many cases reported about being glutened by glues however, as if I have been glutened the last thing I would think was the culprit would be stamp glue :P Most of the time if anyone gets glutened, they think through what they ate that could have had gluten in it. Glues would be the last thing on your mind.

I havent actually had a stamp that had to be licked in years as the stamps where I live have been the peel back types that dont need licking to activate them.

kareng Grand Master

Many "glues" on the market do contain wheat or an unspecified starch. I dont think that there have been many cases reported about being glutened by glues however, as if I have been glutened the last thing I would think was the culprit would be stamp glue :P Most of the time if anyone gets glutened, they think through what they ate that could have had gluten in it. Glues would be the last thing on your mind.

I havent actually had a stamp that had to be licked in years as the stamps where I live have been the peel back types that dont need licking to activate them.

Which glues? Maybe wallpaper paste but most normal glues like Elmer's, don't contain wheat

GFinDC Veteran

Wheat glue used to be commonly used for many things, like wallpaper paste, Elmer's glue etc.. But most glue is acrylic these days. Checking with maker of the coffee cups is the thing to do. They should know the answer.

ajnemajrje Newbie

Decaf coffee does not have gluten We asked him where he got that info and he didn't give us an answer.

Some coffe *might* have gluten in it - not as an ingredient but more likely through cross contamination while processing. I know there is one coffee that makes me very sick when I drink it, not sure of the brand but it is at a restaurant chain here in canada.

Also some teas might have the same issue. I saw one brand though that had a gluten free lable . I think it was the Twinings brand.

kareng Grand Master

Some coffe *might* have gluten in it - not as an ingredient but more likely through cross contamination while processing. I know there is one coffee that makes me very sick when I drink it, not sure of the brand but it is at a restaurant chain here in canada.

Also some teas might have the same issue. I saw one brand though that had a gluten free lable . I think it was the Twinings brand.

It would be very odd to have gluten in a coffee processing plant. It's possible a restaurant chain might have some cc issues going on in the kitchen.

There are a few teas which are " malted" but most are fine, too.

IrishHeart Veteran

Many "glues" on the market do contain wheat or an unspecified starch.

Can you be more specific? It would help. Thanks!

The Open Original Shared Link says that glue on envelopes is made from corn starch and

Is Elmer's glue gluten free?

All of our products are gluten free except for the Elmer's Finger Paints.

FatBear Newbie

Whew!

Archived