36 replies to this topic

#16 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:49 AM

While there are glues out there that have gluten as an ingredient, I would have to say that unless the glue is runny and sticking to your hands, its fine.

If it was runny, the coffee would run out before you drank any :P

I have heard the adhesive on stamps can contain gluten but the taste of stamp glue is nasty. Why woudl anyone want to lick a stamp?

All myths.

"Tonya Muse, senior vice president of the Envelope Manufacturers Association,states that adhesives used on envelopes do not contain gluten.
There are actually only a few envelope glue manufacturers in the US.National Starch & Chemical, a New Jersey company, is one of the largest
adhesive suppliers in the world. A company spokesperson says it makes its glue from corn, which is gluten free.

(this would likely also be true for coffee cups or anything else.)

As for postage stamps, the US Postal Service points out that 98 to 99 percent of the stamps it now sells are pressure adhesive stamps. You peel
them off a paper backing and press them onto your mail. No licking required
for anyone, including celiacs.

"Even if you happen to get a stamp that needs to be licked, the adhesive on it is gluten free, says Roy Betts, a spokesman for
the US Postal Service."

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 FatBear

FatBear

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

Some glues have gluten in them?

I think gluten is the original glue, though we call it "paste" in kindergarten nowadays. :-)
If the 7-11 cups are gluted with glue, that would explain why they keep separating.
But now I read that Decaf coffee has gluten in it? That's a bummer because I've been cutting my afternoon cup 50/50 regular and decaf so I can sleep at night.

#18 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,149 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:28 AM

But now I read that Decaf coffee has gluten in it? That's a bummer because I've been cutting my afternoon cup 50/50 regular and decaf so I can sleep at night.

Decaf coffee does not have gluten We asked him where he got that info and he didn't give us an answer.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#19 ajnemajrje

ajnemajrje

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

We have all heard these stories about gluten in envelope and stamp glue. But has anyone ever actually found a verified case? In over twelve years, I have not seen one.

I haven't licked a stamp in many years, but that is because in Canada they use pressure-sensitive adhesive--you peel and press.

Many "glues" on the market do contain wheat or an unspecified starch. I dont think that there have been many cases reported about being glutened by glues however, as if I have been glutened the last thing I would think was the culprit would be stamp glue :P Most of the time if anyone gets glutened, they think through what they ate that could have had gluten in it. Glues would be the last thing on your mind.

I havent actually had a stamp that had to be licked in years as the stamps where I live have been the peel back types that dont need licking to activate them.

#20 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,149 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

Many "glues" on the market do contain wheat or an unspecified starch. I dont think that there have been many cases reported about being glutened by glues however, as if I have been glutened the last thing I would think was the culprit would be stamp glue :P Most of the time if anyone gets glutened, they think through what they ate that could have had gluten in it. Glues would be the last thing on your mind.

I havent actually had a stamp that had to be licked in years as the stamps where I live have been the peel back types that dont need licking to activate them.

Which glues? Maybe wallpaper paste but most normal glues like Elmer's, don't contain wheat

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

#21 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,135 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

Wheat glue used to be commonly used for many things, like wallpaper paste, Elmer's glue etc.. But most glue is acrylic these days. Checking with maker of the coffee cups is the thing to do. They should know the answer.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#22 ajnemajrje

ajnemajrje

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

Decaf coffee does not have gluten We asked him where he got that info and he didn't give us an answer.

Some coffe *might* have gluten in it - not as an ingredient but more likely through cross contamination while processing. I know there is one coffee that makes me very sick when I drink it, not sure of the brand but it is at a restaurant chain here in canada.

Also some teas might have the same issue. I saw one brand though that had a gluten free lable . I think it was the Twinings brand.

#23 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,149 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

Some coffe *might* have gluten in it - not as an ingredient but more likely through cross contamination while processing. I know there is one coffee that makes me very sick when I drink it, not sure of the brand but it is at a restaurant chain here in canada.

Also some teas might have the same issue. I saw one brand though that had a gluten free lable . I think it was the Twinings brand.

It would be very odd to have gluten in a coffee processing plant. It's possible a restaurant chain might have some cc issues going on in the kitchen.

There are a few teas which are " malted" but most are fine, too.

LTES

#24 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

Many "glues" on the market do contain wheat or an unspecified starch.

Can you be more specific? It would help. Thanks!

The Envelope Manufacturers Association says that glue on envelopes is made from corn starch and
Is Elmer's glue gluten free?

All of our products are gluten free except for the Elmer's Finger Paints.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#25 FatBear

FatBear

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

Whew!

#26 SBlack

SBlack

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:24 AM

I do have to say this for what it's worth!!  I was at a convention this past weekend and got a cup of regular coffee and a small amount of cream.  I was drinking out of one of those paper cups (not sure of the manufacturer) but I got very sick for two days.  I packed my own lunch, all gluten-free....the only thing I could think of was the coffee - which would be strange - OR THE CUP.  So I don't know.... but for what it's worth.  And who knows where they bought it from - it was a cheap paper cup.

Also - I saw that someone posted decaf coffee can have gluten in it through processing or something.  I know they never responded but I have to say that about a month or so ago, I went to Dunkin Donuts (always drink their coffee and love it) and ordered a regular iced coffee with cream.  Well I got it and it tasted really weird to me.  Also didn't give me my "pickup" and it upset my stomach right away.  I figured out they gave me decaf by mistake and it did infact make me sick.  I thought that was weird - wasn't sure why decaf would make me sick but it did.

#27 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,149 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:32 AM

I do have to say this for what it's worth!!  I was at a convention this past weekend and got a cup of regular coffee and a small amount of cream.  I was drinking out of one of those paper cups (not sure of the manufacturer) but I got very sick for two days.  I packed my own lunch, all gluten-free....the only thing I could think of was the coffee - which would be strange - OR THE CUP.  So I don't know.... but for what it's worth.  And who knows where they bought it from - it was a cheap paper cup.
Also - I saw that someone posted decaf coffee can have gluten in it through processing or something.  I know they never responded but I have to say that about a month or so ago, I went to Dunkin Donuts (always drink their coffee and love it) and ordered a regular iced coffee with cream.  Well I got it and it tasted really weird to me.  Also didn't give me my "pickup" and it upset my stomach right away.  I figured out they gave me decaf by mistake and it did infact make me sick.  I thought that was weird - wasn't sure why decaf would make me sick but it did.

Just because something upset your stomach, it doesn't mean its gluten. Coffee can be harsh on a delicate system. CC in places like Duncan Donuts could be high.

LTES

#28 come dance with me

come dance with me

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:22 PM

These sort of things are posted on a fb group as fact as well, but I have no idea where the information comes from or if it's different in Australia, but our envelopes are safe and our coffee cups are safe, and from what I've seen, the ones in USA, Canada, NZ and UK are safe as well.  I've not looked into others personally.  My daughter is very sensitive, but I hand her the envelopes to lick and let her drink herbal tea from take away cups.

Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

#29 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:45 PM

In thirteen years of being gluten-free, I have never seen a confirmed case of gluten being contained in paper products of any sort, including, but not limited to, paper towels, toilet paper, drink cups, envelopes, and stamps. If anyone has an example, please post it with full specifics, i.e., brand name of product, and reliable source (eg. manufacturer).

Until then, I just don't worry about these endless myths in circulation.

Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#30 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,149 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:57 PM

In thirteen years of being gluten-free, I have never seen a confirmed case of gluten being contained in paper products of any sort, including, but not limited to, paper towels, toilet paper, drink cups, envelopes, and stamps. If anyone has an example, please post it with full specifics, i.e., brand name of product, and reliable source (eg. manufacturer).

Until then, I just don't worry about these endless myths in circulation.

You forgot tampons! :)

LTES

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: