5 replies to this topic

#1 jcossentino21

jcossentino21

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

I was just diagnosed with Celiac today. I have been complaining of joint pain for years and more recently complaining of memory loss, anxiety and poor vision. My doctor requested I get tested for auto-immune diseases every year and this time Celiac came back positive.

This is all completely new to me. I don't think I know a single person with Celiac and not really sure where to start. I have no allergies and I am not picky so I have pretty much no restraints when it comes to putting food in my mouth. LOL! I was told I have "borderline" Celiac. My know-it-all husband thinks that I don't have to go completely gluten-free. Is he right?

I guess, I am looking for help/support because all of my favorites contain gluten! Also, let me say that I have not talked to my doctor yet. My cousin is a medical assistant at the doctors office I go to and I have been bugging her for results because I have been in so much pain lately.

Oh and should I get my 4 year old daughter tested for Celiac? Now that I think about it, she says her belly hurts every now and then after she eats (breakfast mainly).

Thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 frieze

frieze

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

I was just diagnosed with Celiac today. I have been complaining of joint pain for years and more recently complaining of memory loss, anxiety and poor vision. My doctor requested I get tested for auto-immune diseases every year and this time Celiac came back positive.

This is all completely new to me. I don't think I know a single person with Celiac and not really sure where to start. I have no allergies and I am not picky so I have pretty much no restraints when it comes to putting food in my mouth. LOL! I was told I have "borderline" Celiac. My know-it-all husband thinks that I don't have to go completely gluten-free. Is he right?

I guess, I am looking for help/support because all of my favorites contain gluten! Also, let me say that I have not talked to my doctor yet. My cousin is a medical assistant at the doctors office I go to and I have been bugging her for results because I have been in so much pain lately.

Oh and should I get my 4 year old daughter tested for Celiac? Now that I think about it, she says her belly hurts every now and then after she eats (breakfast mainly).

Thanks!!

1) your husband is wrong.
2) yes, you should have your daughter tested.
3) If you intend to have a biopsy, don't go gluten free yet.

#3 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:52 PM

Hi Jcossentino, and welcome to the forum!2

You may be surprised at how many of your favorite foods can be adapted to gluten-free with a little tweak or 2-3. It may take several weeks to get relief of your symptoms, but way to go on figuring out what's going on with your body.

I agree with Frieze's recommendations, and wish you and your family well.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#4 jcossentino21

jcossentino21

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

1) your husband is wrong.
2) yes, you should have your daughter tested.
3) If you intend to have a biopsy, don't go gluten free yet.

I LOVE number one! LOL
Hopefully, I can see my doctor this week and we will discuss doing a biopsy.

#5 jcossentino21

jcossentino21

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

Hi Jcossentino, and welcome to the forum!2

You may be surprised at how many of your favorite foods can be adapted to gluten-free with a little tweak or 2-3. It may take several weeks to get relief of your symptoms, but way to go on figuring out what's going on with your body.

I agree with Frieze's recommendations, and wish you and your family well.

Thank you!! I hope I can figure out gluten-free pretty easily.

#6 Skysmom03

Skysmom03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

Yes, definitely get daughter tested. Even if Celiac isn't evident now, it could show in the future!

You will find many new things to eat. My husband and son love the gluten free brownie mix from Betty Crocker!

Good luck to you.... You will begin to feel better soon I'm sure! Good luck and welcome to the board!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: