11 replies to this topic

#1 jamesM11

jamesM11

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

i have not eatin gluten for 10 months and i dont feel better , is this normal , what else can i do to help me feel better , i am starting to lose hope

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

I'm sorry you are still sick. Have you read the "newbie 101" thread? It will help you find the places gluten hides so you don't get cross-contaminated. Do you live with gluten eaters? If so, you need a dedicated toaster, your own colander, your own jars of condiments, and to keep your food away from theirs. I know it sounds crazy, but a few weeks ago I got glutened from touching a cookie crumb and not washing my hands before I ate. Mind you, I didn't EAT the cookie crumb, just touched it.

Another thing that unfortunately happens to a lot of us is additional intolerances. Lots of folks have trouble with dairy and soy. Some of us have trouble with corn or nightshade vegetables. Then there are salicylates, oxylates, lectins, and other natural chemicals in foods.

But I would start simple. Make sure you aren't getting cross-contamination. Then, if you are still sick, try doing away with dairy. If you are STILL sick, do away with soy. After that, if you are still getting sick, an elimination diet sounds in order.

Read as much as you can here. Ask lots of questions. We will help you figure this out! (((HUGS)))

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#3 kareng

kareng

Yum!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,879 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

Did you try or look into any of the answers you were given a few weeks ago?

http://www.celiac.co...lp/#entry838335

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

5 out of 4 people struggle with math.

math-problem-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 jamesM11

jamesM11

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

yes i live with my mom and she eats gluten , and we wipe down everything that gluten touches , and everything wooden that we use in the kitchen we bought new ones

#5 jamesM11

jamesM11

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:09 PM

i am also very gasy

#6 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:05 AM

To help you better, give us an idea of what is going on? What are you eating, what precautions are you taking etc. It is hard to offer help without more information.

The little information that you gave said that you wipe down everything that gluten touches. Can you give more details on that? You may need to do it more carefully. Do you use soap?

You might need to have a separate counter. It would depend on how sensitive you are. I am very sensitive and didn't get better until we made our household gluten free. The gluten eaters were still able to eat gluten out of the house. Many celiacs are able to prepare gluten containing food without problems. It depends on your level of sensitivity.

#7 LDJofDenver

LDJofDenver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:01 AM

I'd like to suggest that (even though you wipe everything down that comes into contact with gluten) you get in the habit of NEVER putting any of your food down on a counter -- instead grab a plate, or paper plate, or piece of wax paper, etc. It's a good habit to get into and adds a pretty foolproof layer of protection in your food handling.
Diagnosed 8-8-08 (I think I'll remember that date!)
Positive blood panel
Endoscopy a little later on confirmed, via Small Intestine Biopsy
Adult son diagnosed Celiac in his late 20s
Suspect my Mother undiagnosed Celiac

#8 jamesM11

jamesM11

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:44 AM

is it comen to take this long to get better ??

#9 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

is it common to take this long to get better ??

Hi James,

It is not super unusual for people to have continuing symptoms for quite a while. The trick to stopping them is to make sure you are 100% gluten-free. That means everything including vitamin pills, medicines, pet food, kisses from girlfriends etc. If that doesn't help then you may need to look at other food intolerances. The immune response doesn't stop in a few hours after a glutening, it can continue for weeks. So if you get just a little bit of gluten but only once a week it still keeps the immune system response going, possibly for months or years.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#10 jamesM11

jamesM11

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

can anyone recomened a good probiotic and gas medication ty for all ur help

#11 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:33 AM

i have not eatin gluten for 10 months and i dont feel better , is this normal , what else can i do to help me feel better , i am starting to lose hope

Don't lose hope until you have tried to solve it from all angles. If gluten free alone doesn't solve it, you can try looking for other intolerances and nutrient defieciencies. After that, you can supplement and cater to intolerances. If you are doing all of these and still are having trouble perhaps more time will solve, or allow you to find the next step for you.

Diana

#12 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

Hi James,

One thing you can do for gas is avoid sugars and starchy foods. Those make lots of food for bacteria which then make gas. Peppermint tea or Altoids peppermints are good for getting gas out of the stomach,.. But don't get in the habit of taking them every day, think of them as a medicine.

Solgar and Country Life or Nature Made brands are good for pro-biotics and enzymes. Or Vitamin Shoppe brands.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: