12 replies to this topic

#1 Skittles

Skittles

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

How long do your symptoms last when you are glutened?
Diagnosed with celiac by blood test in the beginning of April 2012 and confirmed with endoscopy April 20th 2012.
Gluten free since May 2012 (for 5 months.. relapsed for about a month and have been gluten free again since Nov 2012)
Corn & corn syrup free since May 2012
Dairy limited since Aug 2012
Nightshades limited since Aug 2012

Fructose limited since Nov 2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

For sure until I stop eating whatever got me. It took weeks before I figured out the buckwheat being cross contiminated.

#3 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:53 PM

Four to six weeks. It is positively awful, it's like being drunk for a month or more. I'm slurring words, bumping into things, losing my balance, can't carry on a conversation because I forget I was having one (sometimes mid sentence) and have the memory of a goldfish. That is without the pain and exhaustion. I think I'd rather be on the toilet for 6 weeks tyvm.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#4 NorthernElf

NorthernElf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:43 AM

Somewhere in the area of a week - depending on how much gluten I ate - ie. cross contamination versus having a meal where the waitstaff erroneously told me it was gluten-free, the latter taking longer to get over.

For me, it also depends on what I do. My best plan is to eat very light, very safe (nothing that coud have any gluten), drink lots of water (lots), and rest. If I am feeling better, physical activity seems to help get me back on track. When I am "down" I also avoid all dairy and soy and graze because it almost seems to affect me like everything has gluten in it - my stomach gets pretty touchy.

#5 srall

srall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:07 AM

Most of the time it's just a few days. Two times it's been about 3 weeks of pain pain pain. I think in those cases it was cumulative gluten over the course of days. Both times I was on trips out of the house.

#6 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

Four to seven days, depending on the amount. When I did a mini-gluten challenge (small amount of pasta at one meal), it was more than a week.

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

#7 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:28 AM

Gut symptoms: two or three days.
Psoriasis: two or three weeks
Jaw pain: Three to six weeks
Brain fog: The way I've been the past couple of days, I think that has moved in permantently! :lol:

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#8 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

Brain fog: The way I've been the past couple of days, I think that has moved in permantently! :lol:

Are you sure that you aren't confusing your glutening symptoms with plain old.... well old age? :P

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#9 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

Are you sure that you aren't confusing your glutening symptoms with plain old.... well old age? :P

Old? ME?! Well, yeah, I've got that. Or, I had that but I seem to have misplaced it. Um, what were we talking about anyway? :blink: :lol:

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#10 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

Old? ME?! Well, yeah, I've got that. Or, I had that but I seem to have misplaced it. Um, what were we talking about anyway? :blink: :lol:

I'm not sure I remember. One of those young whipper-snappers will be along shortly to get us back on track. :D (There is something magical about the day your child becomes an adult that just pushes you off that age cliff.)

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#11 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

Somewhere in the area of a week - depending on how much gluten I ate - ie. cross contamination versus having a meal where the waitstaff erroneously told me it was gluten-free, the latter taking longer to get over.

For me, it also depends on what I do. My best plan is to eat very light, very safe (nothing that coud have any gluten), drink lots of water (lots), and rest. If I am feeling better, physical activity seems to help get me back on track. When I am "down" I also avoid all dairy and soy and graze because it almost seems to affect me like everything has gluten in it - my stomach gets pretty touchy.

Ditto so far. I'm a newbie with little experience but Northern Elf's response rings true for me. I'm on day four after being glutened in a restaurant eating gluten-free food. Although it started out pretty intense, this afternoon, my outlook on life became better which is one of the first signs of "the road back". There are symptoms going down the road and symptoms coming back. Today, I literally had no appetite and when I drank hot water with bitters, lemon & ginger syrup, it comforted me. Here is something I found and it seems to help on those days when my body is saying, "uh, no. No. Please don't put that in my stomach...":
http://www.livestron...-a-celiac-flare
Last glutening: 12/28/13 (long time FOR ME!)
April 2014: no more reintroducing foods, not rocking the boat, no studying (except during insomnia)
March 2014: Reintroducing intolerant foods. Yolks & banana are a "no". Dairy NO
Year 2: Mental clarity improving. Hello to normalcy.
October 2013: Functional Medicine doc ref to cardiologist for possible sick sinus syndrome (deadline May)
September 2013: 55+ food intolerances, mercury poisoning, sIgA 50, leaky gut, adrenal fatigue, hormone disruption, ferritin 7, low Vit D, low Vit B6
January2013: Dairy-Free, Soy-free
November 2012: Gluten-Free
Year 1: Migraines resolved, OCD diminished, Change in skin texture, EyeBrows lifting & eyes bigger, Better memory, Better cognitive function, Better problem-solving capabilities, Lower anxiety level, Better outlook, Arrhythmia reduced, hope

#12 Skittles

Skittles

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

Thanks for the link CaliSparrow :)
Diagnosed with celiac by blood test in the beginning of April 2012 and confirmed with endoscopy April 20th 2012.
Gluten free since May 2012 (for 5 months.. relapsed for about a month and have been gluten free again since Nov 2012)
Corn & corn syrup free since May 2012
Dairy limited since Aug 2012
Nightshades limited since Aug 2012

Fructose limited since Nov 2012

#13 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:38 PM

:-)
Last glutening: 12/28/13 (long time FOR ME!)
April 2014: no more reintroducing foods, not rocking the boat, no studying (except during insomnia)
March 2014: Reintroducing intolerant foods. Yolks & banana are a "no". Dairy NO
Year 2: Mental clarity improving. Hello to normalcy.
October 2013: Functional Medicine doc ref to cardiologist for possible sick sinus syndrome (deadline May)
September 2013: 55+ food intolerances, mercury poisoning, sIgA 50, leaky gut, adrenal fatigue, hormone disruption, ferritin 7, low Vit D, low Vit B6
January2013: Dairy-Free, Soy-free
November 2012: Gluten-Free
Year 1: Migraines resolved, OCD diminished, Change in skin texture, EyeBrows lifting & eyes bigger, Better memory, Better cognitive function, Better problem-solving capabilities, Lower anxiety level, Better outlook, Arrhythmia reduced, hope

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: