17 replies to this topic

#16 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

Everyone also seems to assume that if you are celiac you don't eat dairy and you do eat soy. Wrong for me on both counts. I always have to send out a call for butter because they always put a soy spread on the tray (they do this in hospital too, whilst giving regular passengers / patients butter :unsure: )

I could eat parts of my gluten free airline meals, but they have this horrible tendency to smother everything with tomatoes in some form or another. Scrambled eggs for breakfast are common, so are sausages which contain soy, both usually with a tomato sauce, and some form of potato which I also don't eat, with a roll and butter and some fresh fruit. Just occasionally, a yogurt. Dinner is often chicken of some kind, sometimes with mushrooms, ALWAYS tomato, often beans or peas and potatoes, so if there is some uncontaminated chicken I can eat that and the mushrooms. Roll with butter, a small salad with oil and wine vinegar dressing, cheese and either gluten free crackers or a roll and butter, often a dessert (pudding type) and usually some fresh fruit. The rolls are invariably awful but slightly better than they used to be :)

And flying international is always a PITA, gluten free or not.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Juliebove

Juliebove

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:55 AM

Everyone also seems to assume that if you are celiac you don't eat dairy and you do eat soy. Wrong for me on both counts. I always have to send out a call for butter because they always put a soy spread on the tray (they do this in hospital too, whilst giving regular passengers / patients butter :unsure: )

I could eat parts of my gluten free airline meals, but they have this horrible tendency to smother everything with tomatoes in some form or another. Scrambled eggs for breakfast are common, so are sausages which contain soy, both usually with a tomato sauce, and some form of potato which I also don't eat, with a roll and butter and some fresh fruit. Just occasionally, a yogurt. Dinner is often chicken of some kind, sometimes with mushrooms, ALWAYS tomato, often beans or peas and potatoes, so if there is some uncontaminated chicken I can eat that and the mushrooms. Roll with butter, a small salad with oil and wine vinegar dressing, cheese and either gluten free crackers or a roll and butter, often a dessert (pudding type) and usually some fresh fruit. The rolls are invariably awful but slightly better than they used to be :)

And flying international is always a PITA, gluten free or not.

Oh yes! Last time that I dined at a non Mexican restaurant I asked for a plain baked potato. Apparently to do me a favor or something they put some butter or margarine (not sure which) in a paper cup in my plate, next to the hot baked potato. Some of it had melted out onto the plate. I immediately grabbed the cup up, handed it to the waiter, told him I couldn't have it, wiped the plate with my napkin in the hopes of getting up the melted product, then asked for a clean napkin. And then of course I got sick that night.

At another restaurant, I ordered a plain baked potato for my daughter and they did something similar but worse. They put little cups of things on the side like sour cream, cheese, butter, bacon bits. The waitress said she felt bad for Angela because the potato looked so plain. I think told her that she had to have it plain because she had food allergies! They're not actually allergies but intolerances but in those days we were told by the Dr. that we had allergies.

Why is it when you are very specific in a restaurant about what you want, they sometimes put something else on the plate?

At another place, I asked about their dinner salad. Did it have cheese? Croutons? I was told that no, it did not. It was in fact just vegetables. So I said, "fine". And they brought me a salad topped with boiled egg slices. *sigh* I reminded the waitress that I had asked in advance and that I needed a salad that was just vegetables and nothing else. She acted like she didn't understand. She didn't want to take it back. But she finally did. And then brought me a plate with just lettuce. No carrots. No onion. No tomatoes. *sigh* So now even though that was the only time that I've ever had egg on a salad, I am always fearful that some other restaurant will do the same.

Oh and get this! I order a burrito at Taco Time. Gluten is not my issue so the tortilla is fine for me. I always say, no dressing, no cheese and no sour cream. Now several of the counter staff have said exactly this same thing to me. They get a confused look on their face and reply, "The sour cream is *in* the burrito!" I then reply, "Yes. I know it is. But I don't want it in mine!" But I really just want to shout. "Ohhhhhh! Duhhhhhhhhhh! It's *IN* the burrito!? That's fine then! Just don't freaking put it on the *OUTSIDE!* Hehehe. My daughter has gotten mad at me a few times when we went in there. I have a tendency to slam my hand down on the counter in anger and I get a bit of a not nice tone to my voice. The other thing we order is pinto beans. And many times they say, "Okay! One pinto bean BURRITO!" And then I'm like... "Did I say burrito? I said pinto BEANS!" The really odd thing there is that it is listed on their menu. I always have to point to the menu on the wall. Apparently we are the only ones who ever order that. And once, the counter person put something in that was 29 cents. The cook then came running out with a look of concern on her face, asking what it was we had ordered. She recognized us right away as the dairy free people. She knew full well what we ordered because we order the same couple of meal each week. Apparently the counter person found some thing on the register that nobody knew existed but it rang up as 29 cents for beans!

#18 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:11 AM

Airline meals scare it. I actually haven't flown in many years and hope never to have to again. Due to all the supplements I take, the four prescription meds and four kinds of insulin, flying would be a royal PITA.

In the past when I have flown, my breakfasts always seemed to consist of scrambled eggs, some sort of sickly sweet pastry or muffin and maybe some fruit. Lunch was only ever offered once and it was breaded chicken on a bun. Dinner always had a piddly little salad which was mostly what I ate. And I usually chose the pasta, but that would be out of the question now. Because invariably it would contain eggs, and/or dairy.

Even a vegan meal would likely be out of the question for me because people just seem to assume that vegans eat soy and I don't.

What do they typically put in a gluten-free airline meal?

I do a lot of long-haul international flights. Up until our most recent trip, the meals I had were abysmal. Once the airline completely forgot so I did not get a single thing to eat on a nine-hour flight! Thank goodness I bring snacks along in a carry-on bag. However, on our last flights I was pleasantly surprised; in fact, my food actually looked BETTER than my husband's.

Airline meals in my experience on long-haul flights usually are an entree with a rice dish and maybe a cabbage salad. All is pre-packaged and kept separate. Celiacs get served first. Sometimes there is a roll (yuck) and butter and cookie (also yucky). This past time in addition to not-bad chicken and wild rice I had a fruit cup, vegetables, lactose-free yogurt and something else - I forget at the moment. Oh, yes. A brownie. Nothing like home-cooked food but it was the best meal I've had on an airline that I can recall, even before my diagnosis. I fly with Air Canada and then Lufthansa or Air France or whatever.

Always, ALWAYS take along a lot of extra snacks. Delays are very common. I have not found one single place to eat in most airports (except for Venice). Flying is next to impossible for me. I hate it because I have severe pain that becomes unbearable on flights. But I go anyway as I refuse to allow it to control my life. Plus our house in Croatia needs me! :P Or I need it. ^_^
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: