#16 AnnJay

AnnJay

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:11 AM

Hi MaxConfusion,

Corn gives me troubles so I avoid it in all of its forms. Even some "hidden" processed forms will bother me, such as caramel color added to balsamic vinegar.

Several months ago I was still feeling sick and wondering about the cause. I was stuck in a mode of trying to figure it out. Finally the minor adjustments I made in my diet accumulated into a big one. I eat vegetables for breakfast! Haha! It sounds like a mind bender but it makes breakfast so much easier for me! Add some meat and or an egg and I'm good to go. The hypoglycemia doesnt even kick in for me anymore so i know it is healthier for me. I cook a lot of food at a time and freeze some for later lunches and dinner. Sometimes I eat well washed quinoa, and sometimes I eat brown rice pasta, but really I feel better avoiding grains. I also avoid soy, corn, dairy, tomatoes, chocolate, and gluten in all it's forms.

After being symptom free for a year I plan to try some foods back (like chocolate, haha!) But for now a diet of non processed meat, egg, nuts, and vegetables works real well. That is me. Try some experimentation and see what works for you. There is a thread under the recipes section with ideas on what to eat when avoiding gluten, corn, soy, dairy, and nightshades.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Sooz

Sooz

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:34 AM

Far as I know, wheat in Australia is not yet a GMO crop, although there are now some GM wheat experimental crops here. The article that I read recently claims that Australia would be the first place to grow GM wheat in the world, if these experimental crops went to commercial production. That implies that the USA does not have commercial production of GM wheat. No idea if that's true.

The article can be found here: http://safefoodfound...ordpress/?p=946

#18 cavernio

cavernio

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:13 AM

I'm a celiac who doesn't know when they've eaten wheat. I haven't travelled anywhere else to know if I have issues other places. Just because you don't notice anything, doesn't mean you aren't damaging yourself. I've said it time and again, but I don't think villous damage is a good indication of wheat sensitivy.

Secondly, everyone's mentioned other foods etc to avoid, but maybe it's not a food at all. For example, my sister, whenever she comes to visit my parents and in the city she grew up, she gets terrible allergies. She's got issus with something in this city. About 100km outside of the city though, and she'll start to feel better.
diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

#19 Seifer

Seifer

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:44 AM

Well if I can get my hands on einkorn wheat I'm sure to trial it. It supposedly the only diploid species of wheat with 2 chromosomes. Durum and kamut wheat have 4 chromosomes, while spelt and modern wheat have 6. The gluten content varies accordingly. This is the reason durum is used for pasta where a high rise dough is not needed

#20 Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

I'm from Australia too and I have no idea why you didn't react to the wheat here in Australia. We certainly have a high rate of Coeliac disease here. In fact our diagnosis rate is higher than the U.S..

Australia has a massive wheat industry, so you were probably eating wheat that was grown in Australia - not the usual GM patented wheat grain that you might be eating in the U.S..

But Australian wheat isn't anything special, and is certainly still chock full of gluten and may well be genetically modified as well.

#21 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

Oh, wouldn't it be nice if there was a magical land with magical gluten free wheat... I would move there in a second!

But there's not.

You have Celiac Disease. No doubt about it.
The thing about Celiac is that everyone has different symptoms and reacts in different ways. Just cause you eat some gluten doesn't mean you're going to feel it right away. It can take days for some of us to react, and even longer to heal up.

Also, these trips to Australia/NZ, are they for vacation? business? are you having a great time other than just eating lots of gluten with no problems?
We can easily trick ourselves into ignoring symptoms when we're on a high otherwise. It's when you get back to the regular ol grind that it hits you.

Bottom line is: No wheat is safe for us. Nothing containing gluten is safe for us.
Don't eat it. Get better. If after you've been strictly gluten-free for at least 6 months (or more like a year), and you're still having problems, then I would worry about whether something else is bothering you.

It is good to hear that NZ/AUS hasn't hopped on the GMO wagon though.

Happy healing!

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#22 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

It is good to hear that NZ/AUS hasn't hopped on the GMO wagon though.

It's a constant struggle though. :ph34r: The wagon stops at every station at least once a day :blink:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#23 MaxConfusion

MaxConfusion

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

Thanks to all who have replied recently.

One possibility is that I am similar to cavernio who said he doesn't know when he has eaten wheat. Perhaps it is actually corn that creates the reactions that I feel. There is corn in many products in USA (in various forms) but perhaps not so in NZ and Aus. This might explain what I experienced.

I am now also ellliminating corn from my diet, so far with good results.

So my diet presently is Gluten free, Oats free, and now corn free. Is there anything else to be wary of? I am eating rice, quineo, and sorghum. Is any of that a possible concern?

#24 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

A few of us on here have problems with quinoa as well.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#25 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

It's much less common to have corn as an ingredient in Aussie products than it is in the States, MaxConfusion. Like Mack said, wheat is a huge crop here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: